Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Bayou Meto boat race

I need to buy a new scanner to post up some old one's. GREAT Pics
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    Awesome pictures Boozer.

How big is your dad? He dwarves you.

He's smaller now after they zippered his chest. He's 6'3" 240 now. At his biggest, 6'4" 290.

Speaking of Bayou Meto, he had his first heart attack in a trailer at Harley's after a double cheeseburger and onion rings at the Highway 13 cafe
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Default Bayou Meto boat race

A couple cool stories:

The first pic was a 2 man 8 mallard limit with just me and my dad. We had been there for 2 weeks straight with guests the entire time. We were set to leave that day and we're going to get a quick hunt in early.

We could've killed as many as we wanted and were shooting one duck per group taking turns. He calls, I shoot and we switch.

I'm working a 40-50 bird group and its about to go down when 2 of them pitch in the back of the hole. I pay them no attention and keep following the wad when he shoots one. On the water (which is a strong move). I start bitching about the big group and blah blah blah. His blind ass tells me the bird is banded and to shut my mouth and go get the duck. Damned if he wasn't banded

This pic is from the ice storm

And you can see how thick the ice is. All of the trees were completely iced and we walked in. The ice was mostly thick enough to walk on, but car hood sized pieces would break loose and you'd bust your ass. I busted my head open twice.

Anyway, we walked into our spot in the afternoon and 3 of us, 700 lbs, locked arms, jumping to break enough ice to start a hole. We broke out a 10yd x 10yd spot and cleared the chunks. When we were done it was 8 degrees and I was in a short sleeve t shirt.

On the way out I had to mark the trees with a pocket knife because our tacks were iced over. I had a folding knife that didn't lock and it folded on me and cut into my knuckle where the bone was visible. I had to cut my shirt and wrap it. It was bad.

The next morning we took turns shooting one duck at a time between us to a 4 man limit. And did that 3 straight days. My 870 got wet and the firing pin froze so I bummed a gun.

Arkansas was declared a disaster area by Clinton, and we got behind a sand truck on 82 and it took 21 hours to get home.
    Last edited by trkykilr; 02-26-2016 at 10:43 PM.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Good stuff Boozer.
    More fuel = more boost!!

I’m a long time lurker and forgot my password to a account IV had the last few years so had to make this one. This is by far my favorite thread and what keeps me coming back to read about once a year. The stories are what dreams are made of and nowadays there isn’t anywhere that my generation will be able to have to many stories like this. I’m 33 so not to old but can remember the better days of which a lot of yal speak. I grew up on Moultrie and me and a few friends talk of the good old days. They don’t compare to stories in this thread but I hope to one day make a few stories in the timber. IV been to Louisiana a few times and Mississippi and sea duck hunting but none of that seems to compare to the stories of the timber. Sorry for the rant but just wanted to let it be known that the dreams of making lifelong friends and memoirists haven’t died with my group of hunting buddy’s and to thank everyone for the great stories.

This is definitely one of the best threads ever started.
    U serious Clark?

Whats sad about this thread is that the good ol days at BM are done. Some of my crew went 5-6 days straight hunting this past year at Bayou Meto and didn't fire a shot.. on several trips. One guy has his lot and housing up for sale. He's done with it. Too many people, not enough birds.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Whats sad about this thread is that the good ol days at BM are done. Some of my crew went 5-6 days straight hunting this past year at Bayou Meto and didn't fire a shot.. on several trips. One guy has his lot and housing up for sale. He's done with it. Too many people, not enough birds.
    That's sad. I've hunted AR a couple times but never at Bayou Meto...it was one of those bucket list places that has been on my 'to-do' for a while but it sounds like it's not worth the effort anymore which is unfortunate.

From what I heard the birds were there the last week, people just couldn't get them to work. We did run into two guys from AL. who had about 8 that morning. But they were the only ones I knew of who killed anything. My first and last time there was about 15 years ago. Ya'll can have that shitshow!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Boozer..... That pic and story of Pal and the banded bird remind me of a late 90s hunt with my late great pal, Gene Simmons.
    We were in a blind called corner woods out of DeWitt with two other pals. A group of mallards drop in and we all kill a bird.... 3 greeheads and one suzie,.... Someone blurts out WTF who shot the hen?
    Gene says..... I did mother fukkers and she's banded!
    Well..... The bitch was banded.....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Lol. Good stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Boozer..... That pic and story of Pal and the banded bird remind me of a late 90s hunt with my late great pal, Gene Simmons.
    We were in a blind called corner woods out of DeWitt with two other pals. A group of mallards drop in and we all kill a bird.... 3 greeheads and one suzie,.... Someone blurts out WTF who shot the hen?
    Gene says..... I did mother fukkers and she's banded!
    Well..... The bitch was banded.....
    Good stuff. Sounds just like something Gene would say.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Damn!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

What ever happened to The Legend?

ha. i remember hearing that story....ad nauseam...from him.
    RIP simmons...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Rolled in to BM last Thursday after a long ride through the night. Got to Hollowell and locals were leaving stating they hadn't shot any birds or saw much. We launched boat and I went to the general area I had gone before probably 10 years or more ago. I killed 2 within in about 2 hrs, saw plenty. Next day continue seeing plenty of "government birds" as the locals were calling them cause they didn't want to work. My son killed his first green tree mallard and I killed another. Day 3 and 4 we're worse with bright skies, no wind, and not enough hunters to keep them moving. We walked up on several hundred feeding only for them to settle back down about 500 yards away. Ducks would make 5 or 6 passes and eventually land with those on the water. The noise they made on the water sounded like a waterfall. Had we shot at dark like many of them did, we could of limited out cause they were coming in by the droves. The highlight of the trip was being "heckled" by the locals Saturday night coming down the Hollowell ditch. It was rather comical, with a DJ calling us out over the PA system they had setup. We also got to meet Cromer and get to stay at the Sahara. My buddies said I no longer get to choose the place we stay at.IMG_20190125_170330962.jpg
    Low country redneck who moved north

Congrats on making a great memory with your son.

How’d they know y’all weren’t from there?

Boat stickers! They didn't discriminate, if u weren't local they had something smart to say. Their duck camp/shit hole trailer had a OOSer go home plastered on it at several places.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    Boat stickers! They didn't discriminate, if u weren't local they had something smart to say. Their duck camp/shit hole trailer had a OOSer go home plastered on it at several places.
    Gotcha. Figured it was a license plate/boat number deal. Just wondering if it was something y’all said, like, “our trailer parks are way nicer than yours”, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post

If they are over, they ended after last year. Me and the old man made a decent little run at em.

And a golden oldie