Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Bayou Meto boat race

Sparkleberry takes a whole lot more finesse to put birds on the water. You could liken Bayou Meto to General Nathan Bedford Forrest's quote... "Get there first with the most".

Before I die, I'm going to spend some time in the green timber in Arkansas. I've wanted to as long as I can remember. I wish I had the boat to do it myself...maybe I'll find some walk-in woods to do it myself in and pay someone to run me through the Meto once.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

i have only been in the BM one time bout 5 years ago. freind said to go to the LV and walk in. so we head down and met some guys their and told us to walk the ditch levy and cross the spil well and find a good place to hunt. took the advice and went with it, off we go , found a good spot, and started hunting. well didnt kill any ducks but on the way out we saw a house on stilts and then some old blind and boats tied up to some trees. my mind started going and thinking about all the memories that the "old timers" must of had in them woods. well walking out i noticed some trees with red paint on them and another one and another one. then see some boats coming up the ditch and the guys just looking at us shacking their heads and laughing at us cause we were hunting the private ground on the left at LV ramp. thank God noone said anything to us about it and havnt been back to hunt it. we did go to hollawell 2 weeks ago a watched 1000's of ducks pill in it and the next morning went back to watch the boat race! cool sight but aint lost nothing their at all ! ill just keep hunting the white river insteed, no boat race is good.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    104 trucks at LV was the end for me. Drunks Unlimited did a cover story on World Famous Bayou Meto and it went from sugar to shit overnight.

Catdaddy here is the vintage brochure Robin gave me at the Classic... The day he handed me that we were just a little more than a month or so off of a banded drakes only hunt (before tamies) here in SC. I would have bet you the world that day that I would never hunt in Arkansas. Little did I know...

jab, i have the same flyers as this one in a shoebox at the house. pretty cool to see some oud thing brought back out!

I have heard that the Robo ducks will be gone for next year as well. I am not sure if that is for BM only or the entire state. Whichever is the case, it is the step in the right direction. We need the Robo ducks out of the timber for it to be like it was in the 90's. check out www.facebook.com/bantherobo

That would be awesome.

I don't believe it for a minute. They outlawed the damn things and then a year later allowed them once again.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

All they need to do is outlaw the use on state lands. I hope they get banned.
    Skybusters: Magic Does Not Apply to Shotgun Physics

Skybusting, or the art of trying to magically propel steel shot 100 yards into the air at a passing duck, is a sure-fire way to ruin your own chances, and everyone else’s chances, at actually killing a duck.

All I can think about when I see or hear "Bayou Meto" is this......

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AZK2-Tfc84[/ame]

They basically did that before and bowed to pressure to bring them back. My guess is the manufacturers were the ones who brought the pressure. Most hunters seemed to like the idea of a ban.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by scandler View Post
    jab, i have the same flyers as this one in a shoebox at the house. pretty cool to see some oud thing brought back out!
    Picked up one of those flyers myself years ago and hunted with him, killed ducks. Highlight of the trip was the morning that Robin shot at the first duck of the morning,ejected the hull and sent the barrel of his 870 into the water,forgot to screw the cap on. Wanted us to quit calling and shooting until he found his barrel, hah, 6 limits finished in short order before he found his barrel.

Best thread ever on SC ducks?
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town

I have read it several times. Enjoy it the same each time.

Just read it for the first time. Fun to read
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I was hoping somebody would throw some more stories out!
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town

Me too!
    U serious Clark?

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Y'all remember the guy who got lost in there years ago? They finally found his dumb ass by helicopter because he had his tighty whities on a stick and was waving it at them. Made national news...

If you have a sense of direction it isn't all that hard. Murdoch is a much better boat driver than I could ever hope to be, so I always laid down in the bottom of the boat with the rest of the dogs. As a protege of Professor Safko I always keep an eye on the stars. More than once I would have to correct our heading while laying in the bottom of the damn boat.
    You got that right. A friend and I went out back in the early '80s and my bro-in-law wanted to go with us. He had been in the woods deer hunting a lot, shot a few doves and had shot a few big ducks over my decoys. That was about the limit of his hunting. I couldn't say no cause, bro-in-law. We hunted the green timber for 3 days but it was a slow time due to weather. The first day we tied the boat and I led them to a hole. By 8:30 we only had 2 mallards and bro-in-law was whining cause he left his smokes in the boat. Finally his nic-drive took over and he told me he was gonna go back to the boat and get his cigarettes. I told him to be careful cause he didn't know the way. He made sure to let me know it wasn't his first time in some woods. So he lit out for the boat. Over an hour later we heard someone sloshing through the trees on the other side of the hole "away" from the boat. A few minutes later my bro-in-law staggered into the hole and saw me. He was soaked with sweat, had a spooked look on his face and puffing hard when he walked up. His first words were, "How the hell did you get all the way out here?" He knew he was lost and thought he had walked way deeper in the timber. I told the idiot we hadn't moved and that his dumbass had made one big circle. I was laughing my ass off at the fool. For the next 2 days hunting he was practically welded to my ass. If I'd hid behind a tree he would have probably started screaming like a little girl.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 02-26-2016 at 06:20 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I finally got some old pics from there on my phone

Sorry that these are pics of pics

Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

:Like:

Awesome pictures Boozer.

How big is your dad? He dwarves you.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004