Thread: Cantey Bay

Thinking about renting a house in Cantey bay (Lake Marion) for a fishing trip in March. My buddy has a 21 foot bass boat.

Would we be able to get out into Jack's Creek from Cantey Bay in that big of a boat in March?

I have never been into Cantey Bay from Jack's so I am not sure about water levels etc.

Any info is appreciated.

Most certainly.
    good luck.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I think you run into TWO considerations here.

First, boat access to-and-from Cantey Bay is restricted until some point. I honestly forget if it is March 1 or March 31, but someone will tell us soon, I'm sure. The (some anyway) homeowners on Cantey Bay have, for years, been allowed special permits to come and go by boat, but I believe it is restricted to certain channels, etc. You really should call the refuge to verify what you can and cannot do before counting on it being automatic with your rental.

Second, it doesn't take much of a water drop to make it pretty difficult to make that trip. Way back when there were bass (and ducks) in Cantey Bay, it was pretty normal to find that I could make that trip from Jack's in a small jon boat and the bigger boats usually didn't try. It was often a pain with some wading required if you lost one of the little "channels". There are really two routes: one down the edge around the corner from Jack's Creek Landing and another through the big run further out. Unless fishing IN the Bay, you would be using the edge and can easily be fooled by crossing a few holes before skidding that big rig across a sand ridge and starting your rain dance.

I have to advise being very careful with both of these issues.

Be carefull in Cantey Bay. I found a sandbar in there. My first trip a my new boat. No damage done.

Water was much lower then.

Thanks for the low water warnings.

The Bay opens up March 1st, but I don't want to spend all week getting stuck on stumps.

I have my eye on a house out on the big water that might suit better.

You would have no problem getting in and out of there unless the water drops 3 feet or so between now and then. I grew up running in and out of there. My uncle has a lake house in the back on the left hand side. The houses you are probably refering to are near the front. You will have no problem getting a bass boat in and out.
    Be still and get your gun!!!!