Thread: Juggin' For Cats?

anyone ever done this...ive seen it on t.v. and read some articles on it but never tried...just want to know how productive it is...or how hard or easy it is...

We do it in my buddies pond from time to time. Catch yellow bellies. GOOD EATIN!!! It is easy in the pond. Use a gallon milk jug with 18" of line and a piece of bream. Bait em up, throw em out, let the wind move em around, then kick back drink a cold one and wait to see the jug water skiing...
    ----------------------------------<br />I\'m getting worser!!!

see we were thinkin about hittin the water with 6 or 8 jugs and some beer and just see what happens..does anyone know the state regs?

The regs are pretty restrictive about jugging on public water. There are only a few areas that allow it and you have to buy a special permit which is not very expensive.

I used to do it when I was younger and it is a good time and realativly productive too.

What kind of hooks do you use?

The last time I checked I think that lake thurmond was the only legal lake you can jug in. I have jugged in rivers and small ponds with a noodle. Buy one of those childrens foam noodles that you put into the pool and cut it into about three pieces. tie line to the end of it and throw it in. it will float flat and when a fish hits it it will stand up. Try putting reflective tape on the end of it and you can watch them at night with a flashlight and see if you have a bite. pretty fun.
    He would have been nice next year.

We use a small circle hook...
    ----------------------------------<br />I\'m getting worser!!!

Why not just go fishing? [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Really though, it is done on Lake Moultrie, legal or not. I have found the jugs floating along the edge of the banks during duck season. If you want to do this just go over to the ponds at my parents and toss the jugs in off the dirt road. You can sit on the road and drink your beer while watching the jugs with a spotlight.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

that sounds like a plan...whats the limit on beer in that neighborhood

Bottle fishing is a very effective way to fill a cooler with catfish if done correctley. We use 16,20, or 24oz soft drink bottles. Take the labels off, rinse them out, let them dry and spray bright paint of your choosing INSIDE the bottle, let it dry and put the cap on. That way the paint will never come off. 18" to 24" of stout braided line and a 2/0 kale hook seems to get the most hook-up's for us. Use cut shad for bait and do not hide the hook or you will not get hook-up's. As already stated, to be legal you must mail in a application and $5.00 for a permit. One permit lets you put out 50 bottles, they are put out at sunset and picked up at daybreak, your name and address must be on the bottles. You get a list of waters where it is legal to jug fish with your permit. Good luck!
    \"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men.\" - MAURICE THOMPSON, The Witchery of Archery. 1878