Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HID headlights

Default HID headlights

Has anyone replaced their headlights with them??
    My goal is to make the light brighter on my 06 Chevy...may do the wife's ride too depending on how it goes.

Can i buy just the bulb and ballast to work with my existing lights?? is it plug and play?? or do i have to buy new assemblies??

Thoughts or other opinions appreciated.

I was at a 4 wheel drive shop the other day and they told me they had put in the lights in one of their own. The bulbs were something like $150 per pair for parts and installation.

The fella went on to say that I would not need to put on any driving lights if I got those bulbs which is what I was asking about and which is what brought the subject up.

My old vehicle had some factory extras that really lit up things and the newer one does not, hence my wondering.

He did not mention any ballasts. It sounded like he just special ordered the bulbs and in they go. They are not the type you can find at Autozone.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

You can buy the kit which consist of two bulbs and two igniters. The bulbs go right in your existing housing and the igniter wherever you want to mount it. It will plug right into your harness.

If you want high beams you're gonna pay. I went with 8k lights and everyone bright lighted me all the time and I couldn't bright light them back.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Why could you not bright them back?
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Why could you not bright them back?
    HID's burn a gas instead of a filament so you have to get a shudder that blocks some of the bulb with normal and when bright it opens the entire shudder

HENCE why you will pay if you want high beam HID's

8k is plenty bright but people bright light you all the time and hope the po po doesn't pull you.
    More fuel = more boost!!

I also put them in my fogs so all my lights would have the same tint when I had the fogs on
    More fuel = more boost!!

That is unnecessary incentive.

you don't need high beams with 8k lights
    More fuel = more boost!!

That's what those fellas were telling me. They would order the low beams and only the high beams if I really thought I needed more than the lows.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    HID's burn a gas instead of a filament so you have to get a shudder that blocks some of the bulb with normal and when bright it opens the entire shudder

HENCE why you will pay if you want high beam HID's

8k is plenty bright but people bright light you all the time and hope the po po doesn't pull you.
    that was my thought....illegal unless factory installed or installed with a projector style housing?

get ya a set of silverstars and be done

Hey KRT, you need to meet these fellas. They are putting the front and rear ends off of a duece and a quarter under a Chevy right now. The springs look like they are off of a Peterbuilt.

They had one mud runner they built for some guy in Florida. The brakes were built on to the diffs themselves instead of out at the wheels. You have probably seen something like that but I had not.

yeah 8k is "off-road" use lights.

Chevrolet has a relay kit that when you have the fogs on you can still have brights. In other words the high beams don't knock out the fogs when on.

That won't help if his low beams aren't bright enough.
    More fuel = more boost!!

I had the siverstars in my old one and they did help.. I just miss the extra light that could cook a coon in a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    You can buy the kit which consist of two bulbs and two igniters. The bulbs go right in your existing housing and the igniter wherever you want to mount it. It will plug right into your harness.

If you want high beams you're gonna pay. I went with 8k lights and everyone bright lighted me all the time and I couldn't bright light them back.
    I personally think those lights should be outlawed. They blind oncoming traffic.

Got 8k in mine and i never hit my bright lights anymore. Do not get then of Ebay pay the extra from a local shop trust me. Where are you located?

what if i just did the fog lights....would that make a big difference(worth the $150), when running the low beams??

we have a newer Chevrolet car and the light are much brighter than our older '06 and '01.... that's what i am trying to mimic.

Quote Originally Posted by duckboy84 View Post
    Got 8k in mine and i never hit my bright lights anymore. Do not get then of Ebay pay the extra from a local shop trust me. Where are you located?
    upstate

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    what if i just did the fog lights....would that make a big difference(worth the $150), when running the low beams??

we have a newer Chevrolet car and the light are much brighter than our older '06 and '01.... that's what i am trying to mimic.
    Silverstars.....
    More fuel = more boost!!

Swap them out with Silverstars from a local parts store first. If you aren't satisfied then take them back.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by duckboy84 View Post
    They're all the same thing from the same warehouse in China, just labeled diff by diff companies.

Quote Originally Posted by tightline View Post
    I personally think those lights should be outlawed. They blind oncoming traffic.
    Blame the owners that dont re-aim their headlights after installation, not the lights themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post

$150? fuuu hope you get a BJ with that price!!

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W