Thread: TRAD ???

I am new in the Bass Federation this year and I was at a meeting tonight and there was a question that came up about no wake zones and bridges. They were not sure about the answer I figured I would ask you since you are a GW. It was said that every bridge is a NO WAKE zone weather it has signs or not. You must be at a no wake speed while going under. They said that this is a law. Is this true?
    Be still and get your gun!!!!

SCTIMBER Coots

If I'm wrong, maybe Trad can correct me, but I found this:

Boat speed limits are regulated by law for certain areas and conditions. When no speed limit is posted, operate your boat so that it will not endanger others or cause injury, damage, or unnecessary inconvenience. Always keep a proper lookout and never load a boat with passengers or cargo beyond its safe carrying capacity.

White buoys or signs with red markings and black letters will indicate speed limits and no wake zones.
    In South Carolina, "Idle Speed" or "No Wake Speed" is defined as a speed not greater than that which is necessary to maintain steerage.
    If operating your boat or PWC in a no-wake zone and you cause damage to another person's boat or property, you are responsible. Proceed slowly in these areas.
    Boats and PWCs may not be operated in excess of idle speed within 50 feet of a moored or anchored boat, a wharf, pier or dock, or a person in the water.
    Boats and PWCs must not be operated at a greater than idle speed within 100 yards of the Atlantic coastline.
    In times of restricted visibility such as in fog, stormy conditions or nighttime operation, you must be able to stop your vessel within half the distance of forward visibility.
    At all times, operators must be prepared to avoid a collision and have engines ready for immediate maneuvering

Also:

Often times counties, cities and districts within a state will have different, more restrictive laws. Boating laws are subject to change and it is your responsibility to be informed of the law as it applies to you and your on-water activities. To be absolutely certain about specific boating laws in your state it is wise to contact your state boating agency.

Says nothing about bridges huh.. Thanks for that info.
    Be still and get your gun!!!!

tradorion Coots

The first thing that popped into my mind was this:

"Boats and PWCs may not be operated in excess of idle speed within 50 feet of a moored or anchored boat, a wharf, dock, bulkhead, pier or a person in the water...."

However, as you noted it does not specifically address a bridge- and SC law follows the logic that unless it is SPECIFICALLY prohibited it is allowed.

I will look into it further and get back to you-

T

Trad,

Something I have always wondered about...

When you pass a landing or mooring in the ICW with the tide pumping and you are trying to make headway against it. Idle speed will keep you in one spot. Do you give it some throttle, which will get you somewhere but throwing up some serious wake or do you sit in one place all day?

Also is the "No Wake Zone" an actual wake zone or is it actually a "No Speed Zone"?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

In South Carolina, "Idle Speed" or "No Wake Speed" is defined as a speed not greater than that which is necessary to maintain steerage.

To me that reads you can throw a 5' wake if that is the speed you have to go in order to "maintain steerage". The water was running into the ditch pretty hard from the river at Packs last weekend. That area is now a no wake zone and rightly so b/c someone was going to get hurt. I could not make headway with out causing a wake...
    ----------------------------------<br />I\'m getting worser!!!

tradorion Coots

By strict definition a No Wake Zone is as noted- minimum amount of speed to maintain steerage.

There may be sometimes when the current you are bucking is going to take a little extra effort- but i have yet to see a current even on a falling spring tide/new moon/west wind that caused my minimum speed to maintain steerage to throw a solid wake.

Then again i drive a 17ft WarEagle and a 15ft Whaler...

T

I sincerly doubt it is arguable...but I throw about a 1" wake at full throttle... [img]smile.gif[/img]

That will probably land me a ticket.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

slow speed-a vessel that is operating at slow speed is completely off plane,has settled into the water and is proceeding without wake or minimum wake. as far as wake zones are concerned,you are responsible for any damage to another persons property or personal harm [falling in your boat and breaking bones and such]anywhere on the water,whether it be on a lake or waterway,or even ocean regardless of a designated wake zone or sign.............

tradorion Coots

BigBrother- you would be correct in both the fact that some boats throw less wake wide open than they do at slower speeds AND that your argument won't hold the water your boat is displacing [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] (just what did you do to the Mrs to end up feeling like a cricket on a bream bed??)

Most No Wake Zones have issues of location/traffic/ safety in mind for their creation (not counting those folks with powerful friends who get their river front lot declared a NWZ ) that is why the "Minimum Wake" of a fast moving boat is not a good thing.

T

Before anyone says it, put my fat ass in the back of a jon & I will bet there is a reasonable wake at most speeds. Now put a 4 stroker back there with me and we are really digging in.

I am with mirrorman on that current at the bridge. When the swamp is draining that water has only one place to go into the river. It can be a damn strong current that takes a right strong throttle.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.