View Poll Results: Would you support a bill in the SC Legislature to establish a Voluntary registration

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • This is needed

77 36.67%
  • No

133 63.33%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ATV Theft Prevention Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Would you support a bill in the SC Legislature to establish a Voluntary registration of ATV's with mandatory database checks for dealers and shops?
    What would the ultimate goal of this bill be?? With so much distrust for the government I do not see many people wanting more bills passed especially when there is the possibility of it generating revenue for a government that already has it's hands in to much of the working man's money.

I don't see what this registration you speak of would accomplish when it has been mentioned that a stolen ATV database would be better suited for possibly recovering a stolen ATV.
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 12-05-2012 at 05:56 PM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I will be glad to check on the registry. I do not believe it will make much difference in theft.

But, sooner or later law enforcement will uncover a stolen one. One of 2000 a year.
    Do they only connect one in 2000 stolen guns? The point if the whole system is that it would make it more risky to be in possession of a stolen ATV. Lots of us wouldn't want to take the risk if the history of an ATV is dubious. That dries up the market for stolen ATV's.

75% say no- the people have spoken

but when has that ever deterred big government?

if they think they can make money off of it, and tell us it's for our own good, they'll ram it up our ass anyway.

What rubs my ass the wrong way is that all parties agree, it is a problem.

Person in position to make a positive change proposes an unpopular option, that has no real chance of recovering stolen items.

Those polled overwhelmingly nix the proposal.

Person in position to make a positive change takes their toys and leaves the playground.

C'mon duck tape. You are better than that arent you?

Couple of bullet points:

• Make thieves pause before they steal. Increase penalties. Force deductions from their wages (like child support, judgements, liens, etc) to reimburse those who have been victimized. This should not come as a separate civil suit, but a matter of due process upon conviction.
    • Stolen ATV registry. (here is a chance to get your name on something that can go nationwide).
    • Expand the Castle Doctrine to include not just home, but property as well.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    What rubs my ass the wrong way is that all parties agree, it is a problem.

Person in position to make a positive change proposes an unpopular option, that has no real chance of recovering stolen items.

Those polled overwhelmingly nix the proposal.

Person in position to make a positive change takes their toys and leaves the playground.

C'mon duck tape. You are better than that arent you?

Couple of bullet points:

• Make thieves pause before they steal. Increase penalties. Force deductions from their wages (like child support, judgements, liens, etc) to reimburse those who have been victimized. This should not come as a separate civil suit, but a matter of due process upon conviction.
    • Stolen ATV registry. (here is a chance to get your name on something that can go nationwide).
    • Expand the Castle Doctrine to include not just home, but property as well.
    This I could support

I understand his position. Gets calls asking what "he is gonna do about all these ATVs being stolen." Try to come to some kind of solution, but gets bombarded, possibly by some of the same people claiming he needs to do something.

A stolen registry probably has about the same effect as none at all without some kind of followup enforcement/investigation.

I'd like to see someone create something of a Craigslist sting operation. Dedicate some manpower to "buying" some of these items if there is a registry. ATVs, Trailers, tractors, guns, and other commonly stolen items.

At least make it harder to get rid of the stolen items. Showup to look at the item, if it's not something you are "looking for" then move on to the next one. Confiscate stuff, fine them, or whatever to help cover the cost of the manpower being used when you find a thief.

Kind of like this, but for property thieves and not child sex predators...

I tell you what.

Why don't you take this as a project. Make your proposal. Get input. I will be glad to assist. Finish with a poll.

I can put it in legal form and introduce.

I would suggest a small group of three to lead the discussion.
    Palmetto Bug, Big Brother, and Glenn
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Crickets.

The floor is open for anyone to advance this idea. It is apparent the public's disdain for government and it's elected officials creates an adversarial climate for productive discourse. While I expect jovial banter and opinionated points of view it is obvious there are many on here that care enough to bring solutions to the table.

Get involved or stop complaining.

Gracious.

Pardon me while I pull a bill out of my ass.

I thought my 10 year old was impatient.

I am sorry no one liked your idea.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

It appears 25% have had one stolen or agree it is a problem.

75% do not want even a voluntary registration for for others for fear of taxation or whatever.

I shall not waste my time fighting an uphill battle.

I am saying get insurance, hide it, lock it up, install booby traps, buy a doberman, install cameras to get a pic of the ski mask, put microchips on your ATV, install alarms, shoot tresspassers, hang criminals on the public square, and cut off hands ALL BY YOURSELF. Don't bother law enforcement expecting them to catch a thief since they have no tools. Get your police report and file your claim.

Hopefully you will get that warm feeling knowing you helped make someone elses christmas.
    I asked my brother in law and friend who had their two four wheelers stolen five yrs ago. They had all the bells and whistles probably worth 12k a piece. Both said no because it wouldnt matter. Both work in the marine industry and have seen boat motors stolen. Registration is not seen as a solution.

Puppies for sale

BB,

You obviously wouldn't make a good legislator then. You apparently have to be good at pulling bills out of your ass to make it in office.

Burglar alarm

Auction

It is apparent the public's disdain for government and it's elected officials creates an adversarial climate for productive discourse.
    fix this and get back to us
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSportsman View Post
    BB,

You obviously wouldn't make a good legislator then. You apparently have to be good at pulling bills out of your ass to make it in office.

No, no I wouldnt make a good legislator.

I thought this was productive discourse.

DT doesnt.

DT is a legislator. I am not. DT's feelings are hurt. Mine are not.

Obviously, I am not legislator material.

Tis far easier to blow up a dam than build one.

BB, why don't you take this problem and work out a fix?

A hell of a lot more fun too.

Up the penalty, if they are getting stolen at least the owner has the satisfaction of know they will get more than a slap on the wrist.

This is really more of an owner responsibility issue anyhow as has been mentioned numerous time. Lock your shit up, get some damn insurance from me and sleep well.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.