Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Life with a Dog

Default Life with a Dog

Particularly mine...is never dull.

Went to the SRS draw hunt today with Dave and Hogan.

We all killed. Hogan smoked a monster. He will be sharing the story later, but I digress...

I decided to clean the deer at my club, and bring the dog...since I leave when it is dark, and get home after dark, it makes it difficult to keep him exercised and anti stir crazy.

I grab the rifle in the event I will have time to sit a stand with the little bit of daylight left.

Get to the club, let the dog out, and make him run beside me. Check the sign in board, one guy is signed out and my favorite stand hasnt been sat for a week. Decision made.

Long story short, I decided I wasn't done killing today. I just got mad at them. The scrub bucks I saw weren't chasing, and didnt have an iota of interest in any does. So, I shot a doe. Since she was right at the wood line, I didnt see where she went, and when I got my sight picture back, I saw a head pick up from where she was standing, so I shot again and saw white belly.

I go get the truck, (and the dog, remember him?). I drive down to get it as close to the kill spot as possible.

The heathen and I walk up to her, and she is a lot smaller than the one I shot. Like 40lbs smaller. Grass is thigh high on me, and shoulder high on the doe I shot, so I start doing circles. The heathen finds blood first and is smelling it like it is cocaine. 40 yards in the woods is the first doe I shot, with the heathen licking the bullet hole and going nuts.

I drag the big doe out. Put it beside the little doe and wonder what the fuck I was thinking, now that I had three deer to clean.

FFW to the second deer on the skinning rack.

It is dark. There is no 'lectricity. I am using a headlamp. It is a waning crescent moon. The goat, he starts growling and pacing stiff legged. Then, the woods lit up with yotes. I am not sure who's hair is standing up more, mine or the dog's...

I put the dog in the truck. I reload the shotgun and place it in a handy spot. I turn the head lamp up a few notches and keep on keeping on.

While suffering through the howls, yips, yaps, and the barking from the truck...I finish my work, take a trip to the gut pit and head on out...

Remember life with a dog, and how it is always interesting?

I get home, wore slap out, nerves are bad, pouring a drink to relax, and trying to make peace with the old lady. I tell her how good he picked up the blood trail and found a deer I "lost", and how proud I was of him...

Meanwhile, my heathen visits the water bowl...

In case you didnt know, my dog has a beard. He is kind of a fancy german wirehair and he flat out makes a mess when he drinks. Think of a mop on his chin...

I hear a shriek from the bathroom, then some cussing, then "murder scene" mixed in with "your fucking dog".

Apparently...my heathen liked blood so much, he really got into it via the gut bucket I would imagine. From there it dried, at least until he got home and got it wet then went running from the water bowl, to every part of the house, spraying blood on floors, walls, (I refused to look at the ceilings).

I got home two hours ago. I just cracked open my first beer, and finished drying the dog off. My back is sore from being bent over, scrubbing the hardwoods, the carpets, and the tile in the bathroom.

It seems life would be a whole lot easier without him...but I am ok with how it is now, as he sits on my right, curled up and barking in his dreams at those coyotes...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Dog poet.
    Let's Fish www.carolinaaeromarine.com Or dip something www.tntcustomcamo.com

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK

“We as a group now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live
    in ignorance. Once you become knowledgeable, you have an obligation to do
    something about it.”—Ron Paul

yup

Hateful bastards.

I wanted an ode to the heathen. Dont make fun.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post

I hear a shriek from the bathroom, then some cussing, then "murder scene" mixed in with "your fucking dog".

Good shit man, good shit.

Haha, that is some funny shit

Murder scene!

It's ll in good fun! I'm finding first hand about the beards and how much of a mess it makes. I've heard the " your fucking dog" several times this week
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

I think its funny how it is always "your dog" when something bad happens and "my dog" when something good happens

Always seems that the common denominator in all the "stress" involved with a dog is a woman. Reckon why that is?

Real dogs have beards
    "Lord prop me up in all my leanin places"

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    I just like saying Dik Dik

I saw it coming when you said he visited the water bowl...hope everything in your house isn't a light beige like seems to be so popular...one thing I LOVE about my wood floors
    www.cedarswampretrievers.com
    Labrador Retriever Puppies and Retriever Training
    Standing at stud:
    Cedar Swamp's Born to Boogie QAA (yellow)
    Young's Trump Card at Cedar Swamp QAA (black carries chocolate)
    Some of the "ladies":
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror SH

BB's dog has face armor!

I needed a good laugh this morning...Thanks BB

Classic....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

I love the fact that my lab is well behaved compared to the wifes golden ret.

Thats great

Thanks for sharing that. I needed a laugh this morning.