Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iran fires on US Aircraft

Default Iran fires on US Aircraft

(Reuters) - Iranian warplanes fired at an unarmed U.S. drone in international airspace last week but did not hit the aircraft, the Pentagon said on Thursday, disclosing details of an unprecedented incident that triggered a formal warning to Tehran through diplomatic channels.

The November 1 intercept was the first time Tehran had fired at an unmanned American aircraft, in a stark reminder of how tensions between the United States and Iran could escalate quickly into violence.

If Iran had hit the drone, as the Pentagon believes it was trying to do, it could have forced American retaliation - with the potential consequences that entails.

According to the timeline provided by the Pentagon, two Iranian SU-25 "Frogfoot" aircraft intercepted the American drone at about 4:50 a.m. EST as it conducted a routine, but classified, surveillance mission over Gulf waters about 16 nautical miles off the Iranian coast.

Pentagon spokesman George Little said the aircraft fired multiple rounds at the Predator drone and followed it for at least several miles as it moved farther away from Iranian airspace.

"We believe that they fired at least twice and made at least two passes," he said.

International airspace begins after 12 nautical miles and Little said the drone at no point entered Iranian airspace. Last year, a crashed CIA drone was recovered inside Iran.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta was quickly notified of the incident, as were members of Congress and the White House, Little added. The United States also sent Iran a warning through diplomatic channels, saying it would defend its military assets and would keep sending aircraft on such surveillance operations.

"There is absolutely no precedence for this," Little said. "This is the first time that a (drone) has been fired upon to our knowledge by Iranian aircraft."

Many questions about the incident remain, including why Iranian warplanes could not manage - if they wanted - to shoot down an unarmed drone, which lacks advanced capabilities to outmaneuver them.

Asked whether the Iranian aircraft were simply firing warning shots, Little said: "Our working assumption is that they fired to take it down. You'll have to ask the Iranians why they engaged in this action."

There was no immediate comment by Iranian officials.

SANCTIONS TIGHTENED

President Barack Obama has resisted calls from inside the United States and Israel for military action against Iran, focusing instead on crushing rounds of sanctions, which were tightened again on Thursday.

The United States imposed sanctions on Iran's communications minister and the Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance for jamming international satellite broadcasts to Iran and censoring and closing newspapers and detaining journalists.

The sanctions are part of broader efforts to isolate Tehran, which denies U.S. accusations that it seeks to develop nuclear weapons under the cover of its civilian atomic program.

In an effort to drive Iran to compromise, the United States and the European Union have gone for the jugular - Iran's oil exports - over the past year.

The United States and Israel, which regards a nuclear-armed Iran as a threat to its existence, have also hinted at the possibility of military strikes on Iran as a last resort.

Obama has said the United States will "do what we must" to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons and has repeatedly said that all options are on the table - code for the possibility of using force.

(Additional reporting by Andrew Quinn; Editing by Peter Cooney)

Such a transparent white house we have.

Fuck an Iranian.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

That Obama cant wait to get us in a war that will go ahead and finish us off financially. The military industrial complex wont be able to pull us out of this one ( see WWII) because we are already broke.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

lol I'm sure our Drone didn't cross into Iranian Airspace
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Interesting how this happened on Nov 1 and we are just finding out about it.... post election day....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

On the plus side, our flyboys will splash the entire Iranian airforce on day 1 if those silly fucks can't even shoot down a drone being piloted by a 25 year old nerd sitting in a box on the other side of the Gulf.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    On the plus side, our flyboys will splash the entire Iranian airforce on day 1 if those silly fucks can't even shoot down a drone being piloted by a 25 year old nerd sitting in a box on the other side of the Gulf.
    Try sitting in a base somewhere in Nevada or Utah.

Obama's not going to get into a war with Iran. Obama's going to allow Iran to finish the development of a Nuclear weapon and deploy it against Israel. Obama's going to pull out of Afganhistan and let AQ and the Taliban undo everything in a matter of months. Obama's going to cow tow to the Russians and let them gain a foot hold in world power again. He's going to continue to allow the Chinese to grow and steal and manipulate.

The mindless freeloading fucks and liberal pussies that put the SOB back in office have no idea that they have elected a SOSIC that will allow WWIII to begin and run concurrently with the 2nd American Civil War.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Salty nails it.

Meanwhile, our president's latest photo op is crying in front of his campaign people as a way of thanks. Fucking unpresidential pussy. He portrays weakness to our enemies in too many ways to count.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post

Meanwhile, our president's latest photo op is crying in front of his campaign people as a way of thanks. Fucking unpresidential pussy. He portrays weakness to our enemies in too many ways to count.
    I saw that also. Despicable.
    :FYT:

Why do we have drones over Iran? Dipshit Biden says ain't no way in hell they can develop a nuclear weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Why do we have drones over Iran? Dipshit Biden says ain't no way in hell they can develop a nuclear weapon.
    I'm betting they already have it. I'm also betting it will be unveiled somewhere in Jeruselem or Tel Aviv in a year or so. Hell, AQ might just let one go in NYC or Chicago. You know the Russians and Chinese have been helping them get there.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I heard the Iranians shot down the drone because they were upset about a video defaming their prophet.

Its bad enough that this site has morphed into little more than an anti-Obama political blog. What's worst is the complete BS 99% of it is. If Obama refuses to respond, he's a pussy. If he has an itchy trigger finger, its "he can't wait to get us into another war to finish us off financially". Never mind that he could have us in Syria already, and that the two wars that have really been kicking our ass financially were started under Bush. And no, I didn't vote for him. I just recognize drivel when I see it.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I'm betting they already have it. I'm also betting it will be unveiled somewhere in Jeruselem or Tel Aviv in a year or so. Hell, AQ might just let one go in NYC or Chicago. You know the Russians and Chinese have been helping them get there.
    I certainly believe this! I also believe Russia, China, Turkey and many of the ME muslims will join Iran pretty soon and surround Israel to attack. They will join together and advance like a storm; they will be like a cloud covering the land. *for the rest of the happenings, see Ezekiel 38
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Golf clap to GMAC. You don't have to like Obama, but remember he is the Chief. At least our special forces sealed the deal unlike under Carter. Congress and the President better get back to governing our financial situation and forgetting about the next election.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    Its bad enough that this site has morphed into little more than an anti-Obama political blog. What's worst is the complete BS 99% of it is. If Obama refuses to respond, he's a pussy. If he has an itchy trigger finger, its "he can't wait to get us into another war to finish us off financially". Never mind that he could have us in Syria already, and that the two wars that have really been kicking our ass financially were started under Bush. And no, I didn't vote for him. I just recognize drivel when I see it.
    Surprised you didn't throw in a quip about us all being "Racist" too, you could have finished your "drivel" off nicely with that.

What pray tell should Bush have done in retaliation for two iconic/landmark building being essentially suicide bombed and destroyed in the most populous American city? How about the 3000 innocent civilians murdered on American soil. Bush didn't start those wars, the goat fuckers did, Bush did what was necessary. The failure and lack of fortitude to see it through to the end by the Obama Administration only means that we will be back to do it once again in the future.

And Obama is a pussy more concerned with handouts and totalitarian rule, bastardization of the US Constitution and relegation of US might to 3rd world status. His foreign policy is weak and domestic economic policy nonexistant/destructive to our way of life. Don't believe it, let's talk in 6 months to a year again.

Peace comes through strength, not sitting around a campfire singing Cum Bay Yah.

Exactly

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Surprised you didn't throw in a quip about us all being "Racist" too, you could have finished your "drivel" off nicely with that.

What pray tell should Bush have done in retaliation for two iconic/landmark building being essentially suicide bombed and destroyed in the most populous American city? How about the 3000 innocent civilians murdered on American soil. Bush didn't start those wars, the goat fuckers did, Bush did what was necessary. The failure and lack of fortitude to see it through to the end by the Obama Administration only means that we will be back to do it once again in the future.

And Obama is a pussy more concerned with handouts and totalitarian rule, bastardization of the US Constitution and relegation of US might to 3rd world status. His foreign policy is weak and domestic economic policy nonexistant/destructive to our way of life. Don't believe it, let's talk in 6 months to a year again.

Peace comes through strength, not sitting around a campfire singing Cum Bay Yah.
    Very well put sir. Could not have said it any better myself.

Call me crazy, but I truly believe Obama will attempt to stay in office past the end of his second term.

There will be some "event" that happens that he'll use as a basis to stay in office.