Thread: Mallard decoys

Default Mallard decoys

Looking to downsize my rig a bit. I want to get about 18 good mallard decoys, so I'm kind of down between Higdons, Dakotas, and Tanglefree Migrations with flocked heads/tails. I don't really want a FFD...heard from lots of folks that the light part of the bodies won't ever stay white.

The Dakotas just look kind of funny to me, but I've heard their paint holds up better than anyone elses.

Tanglefrees look the most realistic to me, but I've heard some folks complain about paint durability.

Higdons seem to be the middle of the road, but they have the least amount of poses/head positions.

Anyone have any input on any of these three brands?
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I'd get the Fred zink avian. Can't beat them they hold up great.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Get 18 pro grade black mallards, 12 teal and a jerk..

Killed ducks in public SC, OBX, Missouri, and NE ark..

They suck down to the blacks..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

I've had the higdons for 4 or 5 years now. The paint holds up better than any other decoy I own, and they get abused. One dropped out of the boat and bounced down a rock road for a couple miles. It's curls got worn off, but the paint is still good.

Get a dozen Dakotas and 6 of the higdon battleship drakes. Texas rig em and be done. My Dakotas have held up great and I love the poses. Ducks could probably care less.
    \"Go to Know\"

I have hunted over FBT's Dakatos and they look great. I mean, great...

I just bought the 6 pack of Higdon flocked headed (drakes only pack). They look incredible, but I have yet to hunt over 'em. Like with anything, I think if you take care of something, they should hold up good. Replaceable, turnable heads.

Like my tanglefree a alot, bout to send off a dozen or so to mintz at body language to get redone. The tanglefrees are heavy but I like them
    Last edited by trash2; 03-09-2014 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trash2 View Post
    Like my tanglefree a alot, bout to send off a dozen or so to mintz at body language to get redone. The tanglefrees are heavy but I like them
    Better hurry up. He's not taking any repaints after a certain date...can't remember what it is, but it's coming up soon.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I've had Dakotas for 3 years and they have held up great. They still look the same as they did new.

Buying some old Herter's, burlapping if necessary, re-painting them, changing out the heads and painting them, replacing hardware with stainless, etc provides a certain sense of accomplishment to even those of us that couldn't possible make our own decoys.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Herter's millennium mallards (if ya can find some used one's). They are the 'real image' mallard decoy, that were about $200 per dozen (when ya could buy them new).

T.
    William Gettys Smart
    1830-1906
    Company A
    49th NC Infantry
    CSA

Remember....

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=12958647

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Buying some old Herter's, burlapping if necessary, re-painting them, changing out the heads and painting them, replacing hardware with stainless, etc provides a certain sense of accomplishment to even those of us that couldn't possible make our own decoys.
    This is actually a high possibility too. My painting skills are tried with just rattle-canning diver decoys though. That's my main concern. I've actually got six 63 mallards that need to be burlapped and painted. I wouldn't mind having a dozen more and hunting over a spread of Herter's.

They're far from perfect or show quality. The heads are pre-painted Autumn Wings and I used Rustoleum camo colors right out of the can for everything except the white and blue on the wing. The white is just Rustoleum flat white and the blue on the wing is an old can of herters specifically made for a mallard's speculum. I used the lighter brown for the chest and wing stripes and the darker brown on the backs. You really can't see the darker brown in this photo. Oh, I forget that the grays were some oil-based spray gray camo colors I picked up at Tractor Supply. Basically everything was done with masking tape, spray cans, wax paper, wet sponges or q-tips.

Wax paper?

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Wax paper?
    As a palate - I'd spray the paint on wax paper then dab it up with the q-tip or sponge.
    Last edited by Rubberhead*; 03-10-2014 at 10:07 AM.