Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triton DS vs Xpress Hyperlift

Default Triton DS vs Xpress Hyperlift

Seems that the Xpress is faster but the older Triton DS is heavier and rides better in rougher water from what little research ive done on the site. Looking at the 16 or 17.

Wetreed's new boat caused me to inquire. He went from an Xpress Hyperlift to the Triton.

Thoughts, comments?

If you want to save the time, cost, and headache to get 2 or 3 MPH get the Triton.
    If you want to have a pad hull Jon boat that performs like a bass boat, get the Xpress Hyperlift. BTW 16' Xpress with the Hyper hull are becoming hard to find.

Which one rides better in large bodies of water. Don't care about speed.

IDK since I have owned neither, but I've ridden in both and the Triton sure is a nice dry ride.
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by B.Miller View Post
    IDK since I have owned neither, but I've ridden in both and the Triton sure is a nice dry ride.
    Thanks

The wider, heavier boat will ride better. Unless the said boat has a flat bottom, a small chop won't be too bad but 2-3 feet seas will beat you and all your gear to hell.
    I've seen big water with my boat and based on the wind direction, stayed fairly dry. That same big water would be suicide while on plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Krasko View Post
    The wider, heavier boat will ride better. Unless the said boat has a flat bottom, a small chop won't be too bad but 2-3 feet seas will beat you and all your gear to hell.
    I've seen big water with my boat and based on the wind direction, stayed fairly dry. That same big water would be suicide while on plane.
    What boat do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Krasko View Post
    Exactly. I've done the same thing in my Xpress. But it's a jon boat. don't overthink it. If it's too rough for one, the other won't be substantially better. Wind direction and your driving direction has everything to do with the elusive acclaimed "dry ride"...especially in jon boats. You want a dry ride on open water when it's windy, run down sea. anything over a couple foot chop will be more than noticeable in a 15-16 ft jon boat of ANY kind.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

A customized Hewes Redfisher 16 Tiller would be the perfect boat for me. I've owned one. It's a bad ass hull. Night and day from a High Tide. Just too much money for a beater duck boat.

Buy mine I want a mud boat. After work ill answer all your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    A customized Hewes Redfisher 16 Tiller would be the perfect boat for me. I've owned one. It's a bad ass hull. Night and day from a High Tide. Just too much money for a beater duck boat.
    I am fabricating layout racks for a 20' back country flats boat. divers will die and the tender will do 70mph. What could go wrong?
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

If you want a boat that will run fast, ride good in rough water, and are not hunting in an area where it is constantly 2-4 foot waves. Find an Xpress... If you want to run fast over 1-2 foot chop at 50 mph with a full load of 3 guys and 2 coolers full of fish and a 24 volt tmote and 3 batteries buy my boat...

Honestly if I lived in Columbia still and didnt hunt Gtown, i would have a 1556 Edge with a 40Hp 59 ci Mercury that has hydrotech work done to it, it will run about 60 mph with a chopper and be small enough to get anywhere i need to.

Now that I live in big water country like a believe the OP does as well. I find my self hunting these 30mph wind days. Also find my self catching kingfish at 3 mile out of a jon boat....

Personally my opinion is that you cant have one boat to do everything you want. I have yet to find it. Griffin and I have gottn very close... A flats boat with a layout and a pirogue...

If I do not end up with a Prodigy Mud boat like my plan is, I will most likely try to custom build a new 17 Mi Tide with a different rear lay out, with pods, built in front gas tank, with a solid non cut transom, an atlas hydro jack plate and a 115 4 stroke yamaha With my tiller set up.
    Last edited by WetReed; 01-23-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WetReed View Post

If I do not end up with a Prodigy Mud boat like my plan is, I will most likely try to custom build a new 17 Mi Tide with a different rear lay out, with pods, built in front gas tank, with a solid non cut transom, an atlas hydro jack plate and a 115 4 stroke yamaha With my tiller set up.
    It just moved...
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

What rig do you have now Wetreed?
    More fuel = more boost!!

Last edited by WetReed; 01-24-2014 at 08:52 PM.

Better pics

Drew in Triton by Bryant Miller, on Flickr

Drew in Triton by Bryant Miller, on Flickr
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    What boat do you have?
    My boat is a 16' Xpress with the Hyperlift, H50DB.

Those Edge boats look to be badass
    More fuel = more boost!!

Muddy bay marine just got a few 17 foot hyper lift side console boats in

If they are the bass boat layout the have no floor space....

Idk about y'all but high decks and decoys don't mix with high winds.