Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill to ban dog hunting

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    And, what happens when this is the case?? Cause I'm sure it happens.
    It happens quite a bit, sometimes it ends in retaliation, other times it gets your point across. It's a roll of the dice, could go either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    I feel like most of this crap can be handled on an individual level without the need to make new laws. If you have someone constantly running dogs across your property and the dog hunter refuses to stop than shoot the damn dogs.
    "Renegade hunter act" protects the dogs & their owners. Landowner can claim that they felt threatened and dog was attacking them, so dog is dead and nobody get penalized (except dog owner losses his dog). Next week... Landowner comes back to his property and find it vandalized in some way and his stuff stolen.

Lose lose situation so nothing is done

You boys claiming to keep your dogs on a 100 acres are full of shit!
    Collar or not, unless you dog is trained to stop in the road when the collar goes beep, you're full o shit!
    Very, very few doggers give a shit much less take the time to reach this level of training with their hounds.
    As a matter of fact, bring em down here and let's test your statement to be true or false!
    I ain't for banning dog huntin by any stretch these days....had you asked me 15 years ago, yes but we had a serious problem with some world-class shitheads back then.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 01-11-2017 at 10:12 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Gun Season and Youth Gun Season
    Shotgun: 10 gauge or smaller shotgun using one ball or one rifled slug per barrel (rifled shotgun barrels are permitted when using shotgun slug ammunition).
    Muzzleloading rifle: .38 caliber or larger.
    Muzzleloading shotgun: 10 gauge or smaller using one ball per barrel.
    Handgun: With 5-inch minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger.
    Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .450 Marlin, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110, and .500 Smith & Wesson. Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.

It happens quite a bit, sometimes it ends in retaliation, other times it gets your point across. It's a roll of the dice, could go either way.
    Not being a dick, but how old are you? You seem to be a good dude based on what I've read here, but this seems to be a bit of a naive viewpoint.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Quote Originally Posted by NannySlayer View Post
    They do it with help from Garmin. You can bet if I turned a dog loose in the woods I would have a Garmin box on them. Not only that, they ran 9 miles of fencing around their property. They have had rules for years to limit the impact of their practices on their neighbors.

If you think this is a good deal you are an idiot and are sealing your own fate. It will go like this... Dog hunting, then antler restrictions, then rifle hunting, then ultra short season then when you only have a few folks hunting they will take it all away. Divide and conquer.

This is a shitty bill that is gonna hurt all hunting. Fuck anyone who agrees with or endorses it including the qdma. And just so it is stated... I bet I have more record book bucks on the wall than most all of the folks who wrote and support this bullshit.

Offshore fishing regulations are a great example of this happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    Not being a dick, but how old are you? You seem to be a good dude based on what I've read here, but this seems to be a bit of a naive viewpoint.
    OK...so what happens?? I'm sure dogs get shot...what then?
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

I like CW's posts most of the time. But if you haven't ever experienced it then you can't speak to it. And like FHF said the last law did alot to protect the dogs and nothing for the landowners.

I've got nothing against good dog hunters what so ever but I must admit I'm glad I don't have anyone running dogs near my property.

GA passed an identical law to this one several years ago. Since then the state has mostly relaxed some of our deer regs...not increased them. So the whole argument of this being a slippery slope towards more hunting regs doesn't hold much water...

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    I like CW's posts most of the time. But if you haven't ever experienced it then you can't speak to it. And like FHF said the last law did alot to protect the dogs and nothing for the landowners.
    I have had experience with dogs being turned loose on a neighboring property and they would constantly run across my property and the property bordering mine. They would turn them loose on a dirt road and catch them on another road 3 farms over. Those renegade dog hunters were a nuisance to everyone in the immediate area. Thankfully that issue has been long resolved.

Nationally, 28 states ban the baiting for deer in any form, while 22 allow it (eight with significant restrictions). And recent headlines point to deep divisions within individual states. Last spring, legislation passed by the Mississippi House and Senate would have allowed baiting in the Magnolia State for the first time had Gov. Haley Barbour not vetoed the bill. In Michigan, a state long synonymous with baiting, officials shocked the deer hunting community by abruptly banning the practice in the entire Lower Peninsula after a single game-farm doe tested positive for chronic wasting disease. In the Upper Peninsula, however, baiting remains legal.

I don't think your being a dick for asking my age, I'm 22 so if I sound naive at times then that may be why. I still have a lot to learn.

I think you're stretching here Rebel, especially since SC just legalized baiting statewide. Doggers have had their chances to police themselves and they just can't seem to do it. Population is growing, land is not. Still hunting ain't going anywhere
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Here is a crazy idea. What if all dog hunters only hunted property they had permission to hunt? Wow, problem solved and NO new laws

If I trespass and hunt land I can get a ticket, but if I drop some dogs off and stand on the road I am not breaking any current law.
    Last edited by FHF; 01-11-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Fuck baiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Fuck baiting.

With this, I agree 100%. The "bail and wait" deer hunting does not appeal to me, at all. That's why I haven't deer hunted, even once, since I moved to SC 6 years ago.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Baitin' and waitin' is the only way I hunt. It gets boring in that deer stand
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    I think you're stretching here Rebel, especially since SC just legalized baiting statewide. Doggers have had their chances to police themselves and they just can't seem to do it. Population is growing, land is not. Still hunting ain't going anywhere
    I agree. SC has big deer population. Deer cause numerous traffic accidents every year, so without any population control it will only get worse. I think lawmakers, highway safety, and insurance industries are all aware of this and will continue to support regulated harvest

I don't think your being a dick for asking my age, I'm 22 so if I sound naive at times then that may be why. I still have a lot to learn.
    I thought you were a younger guy. With your attitude you will be fine.

I comment about shooting dogs and what can happen because some things in life aren't worth the trouble. Say one of us shoots some dirt neck heybo's dog. Then he makes it his life mission to get revenge. Burns a stand or camper, slashes tires, etc, you get the point. As much as it is wrong and you (me, us, whatever) want to get payback, some things in life aren't worth it. I am 39, so I'm not old yet, but I have learned that some situations are not worth engaging in, as much as those people need to get bitch slapped or worse.