Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nuclear power

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    My client was moving from one nuke facility to another. Same field of work, same occupation, different location. A+ credit. He won't default on his loan, he'll be employed in another state in 30 days or less. I just think it was reckless on the employers part (SCE&G) to verify his employment to receive a loan if they knew the project was being abandoned. His first day of work he was there 4 hours and received 6 months severance. Crazy.

I had tenants that worked at the plant. I've heard about the waste for the last few years. Building $47 million dollar mock ups and then tear em down for the scrap mill and then build another $47 million dollar final copy. I had one fella that said it was like walking around with his pockets opened up and someone stuffing money into them.

The truly skilled labor are already on other nuke sites or gas and oil sites. Their lifestyle won't change at all. They are nomads that work outages and will continue to make serious coin for their efforts. If folks are willing to travel, live in a camper / hotel and earn the right credentials there is serious $ that can be made out there. They are paid for their skill in their respected field as well as their sacrifice given that many leave homes and families behind.

The bottom line: SC residents have been fleeced.
    And your stories are the small stuff...

Well Jab, why don't you share some of your bigger stories! You seem to be holding info back!
    Low country redneck who moved north

I rather enjoy breathing...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I rather enjoy breathing...
    Yep. I know of similar stories. Had to have redundancy ready mix plants on site so in case one were to mess up during a pour the other one was ready to go but yet they couldn't run them both at the same time during the pour.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Are you seriously impugning the same banking industry that gave us Mack Whittle?
    I get a fukin twitch everytime that asshole, dummy's name is mentioned. Thanks for ruining the rest of my weekend.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    My client was moving from one nuke facility to another. Same field of work, same occupation, different location. A+ credit. He won't default on his loan, he'll be employed in another state in 30 days or less. I just think it was reckless on the employers part (SCE&G) to verify his employment to receive a loan if they knew the project was being abandoned. His first day of work he was there 4 hours and received 6 months severance. Crazy.

I had tenants that worked at the plant. I've heard about the waste for the last few years. Building $47 million dollar mock ups and then tear em down for the scrap mill and then build another $47 million dollar final copy. I had one fella that said it was like walking around with his pockets opened up and someone stuffing money into them.

The truly skilled labor are already on other nuke sites or gas and oil sites. Their lifestyle won't change at all. They are nomads that work outages and will continue to make serious coin for their efforts. If folks are willing to travel, live in a camper / hotel and earn the right credentials there is serious $ that can be made out there. They are paid for their skill in their respected field as well as their sacrifice given that many leave homes and families behind.

The bottom line: SC residents have been fleeced.
    There you go ruining the narrative of over paid ditch diggers, iron workers, welders, carpenters, electricans and concrete finishers. It has to suck for a blue collar worker to make more than the average person with a degree in business or liberal arts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    There you go ruining the narrative of over paid ditch diggers, iron workers, welders, carpenters, electricans and concrete finishers. It has to suck for a blue collar worker to make more than the average person with a degree in business or liberal arts.

Don't forget Machinist, we are the highest paid. Work 6 months over 100k. Speaking for a friend.

LOL. I have one son who works in a steel mill and one who works in concrete. Both have engineering degrees and both love their "blue collar" jobs. I love their work ethic and couldn't be more proud of them. I'm also so very thankful they weren't caught up in this nuke plant mess. Many of their fellow graduates weren't so lucky.

JAB is right.....the stories and the fallout from this thing are going to get a whole lot bigger.
    Last edited by cajunwannabe; 08-12-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

When equipment operators are making management level money you have to take a step back and reevaluate.

G

I'm happy for someone to get paid all they can provided the consumer can choose to purchase. Unfortunately the power industry is not free market. If you pay more than market price it effects the rate the monopoly charges.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    If you pay more than market price it effects the rate the monopoly charges.
    You and yours gave them cart blanch to pass it on in rate charges.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    When equipment operators are making management level money you have to take a step back and reevaluate.

G
    Management can replaced on welm, it's the mofos like myself and many others that keep the world turning. Not no papercut, pansies ass lotion on their hands management. That's the f-Ing problem a person with a college degree thinks they ought to make more than me. Tell them to leave the AC and leather chair and walk in my boots one day and they will see the worker is the backbone of any company.

Let's be honest. We are lucky to have Duck Tape as a scapegoat to blame all of this on, but that was only so interesting for so long.

But now, we are teetering on the edge of some good old fashioned class warfare!!! I can't wait to see who wins. I got my money on white collar, but blue collar has the momentum behind them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    Management can replaced on welm, it's the mofos like myself and many others that keep the world turning. Not no papercut, pansies ass lotion on their hands management. That's the f-Ing problem a person with a college degree thinks they ought to make more than me. Tell them to leave the AC and leather chair and walk in my boots one day and they will see the worker is the backbone of any company.
    ^^^^ TRUTH

Just because you get a college degree, doesn't mean you are capable or going to make a certain amount of money. I know many of folk with good expensive college degrees that work "blue collar" because it's what they want to do and probably make more doing so. If you are not a commissioned sales person you are going to have a better chance getting rich digging ditches than you are collecting a salary to sit at a computer. It's the person that has an education and digs ditches that will be the most successful because they will own the ditch digging company. Nor do you need a college education to be a good commissioned sales person. Good skilled labor is extremely hard to come by. Education or not, most of you understand supply and demand.
    Last edited by reeltight; 08-12-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    Sounds like you should put your capital at risk, start a company, and reap the rewards...I don't think any manager worth his salt would argue with you about the worker being the backbone of the company. But that doesn't mean you don't need skilled managers.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
    Let's be honest. We are lucky to have Duck Tape as a scapegoat to blame all of this on, but that was only so interesting for so long.

But now, we are teetering on the edge of some good old fashioned class warfare!!! I can't wait to see who wins. I got my money on white collar, but blue collar has the momentum behind them right now.
    Dammit. So now I have to put you back in the smart column?

S'cuse me while I jump around all these heads rolling at SCANA and SC... It is like a bowling alley in Bethlehem PA up in here.

Not...

Dammit. So now I have to put you back in the smart column?
    Just use pencil and write lightly. I'm still bound to disappoint you again in the near future.

Here's the thing, I appreciate that more that every fanboy I have ever encountered..