Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inside Russell Wilson's nine-meal, 4,800-calorie diet to cut weight

Default Inside Russell Wilson's nine-meal, 4,800-calorie diet to cut weight

Very interesting article on Wilson's diet. We follow a similar program for our coaches and athletes at the gym. Most people are walking around way under fed and this article, while to the extreme in his case, showcases how calorie restriction is NOT helpful in weight loss and is actually counter productive.

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-sea...-to-cut-weight

back when I was all in shape this was my problem

Between eating 17 times a day, drinking 14 gallons of water, and the corresponding peeing and shitting, I barely had time to work out, much less hold down a job and marriage.

Aint nobody got time for that
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

We will be moving both our toddlers to this diet starting tomorrow. Thank you for posting this Glenn. This is just what they need to gain the edge that is required to compete in Dixie league travel tball.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    We will be moving both our toddlers to this diet starting tomorrow. Thank you for posting this Glenn. This is just what they need to gain the edge that is required to compete in Dixie league travel tball.

Seriously though, I find this very interesting Glenn. Thanks

i didnt read it all bc my head hurts but i think i can agree with that article.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i didnt read it all bc my head hurts but i think i can agree with that article.
    He eats oatmeal. You will like it.

More calories = more weight loss. Pass me the oreos!!!

All this is based on the theory that you have to have calories to generate heat so that you can burn fat? I'm doing a keto program and I've lost more than Wilson. To follow this guy's theory would be to say the intermittent fasting theory doesn't hold water. My experience has been different.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Incredibly inefficient system. I can get more than 5,000 calories in three, sometimes two meals. And I generate tons of heat, I'm constantly sweating.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    All this is based on the theory that you have to have calories to generate heat so that you can burn fat? I'm doing a keto program and I've lost more than Wilson. To follow this guy's theory would be to say the intermittent fasting theory doesn't hold water. My experience has been different.
    Hahaha! Yeah. I kinda cringed at that part too. It's an incredible, and inaccurate, over simplification of what actually occurs. People who try to cut calories put themselves into a stress situation. Their metabolism slows, cortisol increases and the body stores fat to keep them alive. What we've seen is people who eat more, not less, food and in the right proportions, lose body fat and gain lean muscle mass. Keep in mind this dude was giving an interview to ESPN. Their target audience aren't exactly biochemist and physiologist so I'm sure he dumbed it down a notch.

I eat between 2500 and 2800 cals/day and track everything. My carbs, like Wilson's, are mostly one ingredient carbs. I still intermittent fast at least one day a week and I see most of my fat loss on those days. I jack up my metabolism and then go 12-18 hours with no food and it just falls off. Since starting I've dropped from 228, which is where I was when we last saw each other, to 212 and my strength, endurance and recovery have all improved.

I was skeptical at first but have found it to be an interesting experiment and a successful one so far. Keto interest me but I'm afraid of not getting enough food. I'd be interested to see how it's affected you, positively and negatively, during your work outs etc.

I eat very well. I drink enough to kill a horse.

I've lost 12 fat pounds and my workouts are just fine. I lost a small bit of energy for about a month but it wasn't anything that sidelined me or anything. I don't have enough time to really push for gains but I'm maintaining just fine. If I can run a mile in less than 7 mins and deadlift twice my body weight, I'm not in a bad way. I don't know how many calories I eat in a day and don't give a shit. I do know I'm not addicted to carbs anymore and I just eat some high quality veggies fur nutrients. I still do dairy and that's one I wonder about. Hard to jack the fat way up with no dairy. Some of my old man issues have greatly improved since I went keto. The research associated with keto diets to prevent/cure things like dementia's and cancers fascinates me. Needing carbs for energy is a lie. We didn't evolve on amber waves of grain.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Agree. Those keto studies are great.

You don't weight but a buck fiddy so I wouldn't brag on that 300 lb deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    I eat very well. I drink enough to kill a horse.
    THIS. Yall overthink this shit way too much. Eat right, drink plenty of water and ice on your beer and when you get my age you will LOOK and FEEL BAD ASS.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Agree. Those keto studies are great.

You don't weight but a buck fiddy so I wouldn't brag on that 300 lb deadlift.
    Harsh truth....

I'll do a max next week and see if I can get 3fiddy

Rubberhead

i had no idea we could "cure" some of the things you mentioned with diet.

and why you gotta throw the grains wisecrack in there? There are healthy ones out there if eaten in the right form.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Fire, meet gasoline.

I said research and what makes grains healthy?

Rubberhead

You can use the processed ones to pack bullet wounds and lacerations.

All this might as well be a waste of time if you have to play hartsville allstars with that outfielding fuckup on your team