Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whole House Generator with Automatic Transfer Switch?

So now we have 2 threads on this topic but still no names and numbers. I'm trying to spend money here...

That's my bad didn't look before typing.

I will say this though propane is cheaper than diesel. Im getting propane delivered to the yard for 1.59 per gallon right now.

PM or talk to Tha Dick. That's who installed mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I deleted mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    So now we have 2 threads on this topic but still no names and numbers. I'm trying to spend money here...
    Since you are asking, my guy runs a side business for our residents, maintaining their gensets. Couple years ago he just gave up and said fuck it on the Generacs. He found himself spending 3 times the amount of time working on them as compared to the Onans for the same money. It was easier to just let the guys with the Generacs pay the contract to their own service people...

I went to generac's website and called them. The quote they gave me is as follows: 16kw generator with a automatic transfer switch was $3600 give or take a 100 or 2 because I don't have it with me. That was shipped installed and everything.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 09-13-2017 at 04:03 PM.

I doubt very seriously that it was an installed number. If so I need to talk to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    \"Go to Know\"

Caterpillar sells the small ones too. Call Blanchard machinery and talk to someone in the power systems division.

Get a Cat or Cummins diesel, everyone that has a duramax, dodge, ford has a fuel tank with a yeti sticker on it. It will sip the fuel. Propane will not be cheap forever.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    I went to generac's website and called them. The quote they gave me is as follows: 16kw generator with a automatic transfer switch was $3600 give or take a 100 or 2 because I don't have it with me. That was shipped installed and everything.
    Me thinks you misunderstood them, or they weren't completely honest with you. This is a screen shot from their website of the cheapest 16k unit.

Screenshot_20170913-204638.jpg
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I asked a guy about this a week or so back - he suggested diesel over propane or NG. More reliable/less preventative maintenance was the gist of it.
    That is bullshit unless you gonna use it daily.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

jwilliams is online now 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I have the Briggs 20k. Haven't used it yet. Hope I don't get to ever use it
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Figured I would bump this back up.
    My propane tank was just dropped off and hooked up. It's time for a genny.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I asked a guy about this a week or so back - he suggested diesel over propane or NG. More reliable/less preventative maintenance was the gist of it.
    BS

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Figured I would bump this back up.
    My propane tank was just dropped off and hooked up. It's time for a genny.
    I'm with JAB on this one.

Onan is the only choice. Yes, it will cost you more. No, you will never buy another one.

We used to have one that got flooded out with salt water in B'fort during one of the hurricanes in the early 2000s. Me and daddy got it for free. Snatched the control board out and rewired everything to relays and mounted it to a trailer. Worked great. A neighbor down there needed it more than I wanted to deal with it after daddy died... so, he got a nice gift.

It was multi-fuel capable and slicker'n owl shit. If I remember correctly, we calculated that this particular big ole bastard would run on 6 bottles of propane (mounted on the trailer also) for about 4days. I could be mis-remembering, though.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Onan? I know parts are hard to get for their motors that are on welders. Most shops will not mess with them. Why would this not be the same situation?

We have never had any problems with getting parts, but we do have a local dealer in Hendersonville who keeps a good stock, and we really haven't had part issues come up on the Onans very often to be honest. 9/10 problems with them are battery related...

Cummings and Onan, are they associated?

May also want to look at Kohler.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013