Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I need a jack plate ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mornin Woodie View Post
    The only time that boat and motor will see 40 is when you're pulling it behind your truck.
    I felt like 40 was obtainable ? Do you really think it's not. I'm already at 34 turning 5500-5600 rpms. I felt like the jack plate would give me the rpms to turn a 14P.

I think its obtainable for you but that's gonna be the max I would expect anything more. But like I said I'd focus more on setback first

You are at 1% prop slip now with the 13 if your numbers are right. You will have to turn a 14p 6100 rpm to get 40 mph.
    “We as a group now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live
    in ignorance. Once you become knowledgeable, you have an obligation to do
    something about it.”—Ron Paul

Miller and Mearle what is your setup?

I like the idea of the breakaway plate, however I would like to be able to keep my holeshot that I currently have. If I go with a breakaway plate which keeps the motor at a set height won't it increase my time to get on plane? Also would this make the boat porpoise ?

Quote Originally Posted by Justintimesc View Post
    Miller and Mearle what is your setup?

I like the idea of the breakaway plate, however I would like to be able to keep my holeshot that I currently have. If I go with a breakaway plate which keeps the motor at a set height won't it increase my time to get on plane? Also would this make the boat porpoise ?
    1648 Tracker Grizzly, 97 40 2 stroke yamaha bone stock, 14p vengence prop.

I have my jack plate set pretty high by most peoples standards. I had no problems running in the swamp w/ no breakaway at the poker run. Since I'm set at the height I am, when I trimmed up, the bottom of the motor sat higher than the bottom of the boat.

1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

I got an edge 550 with Yamaha f40. Power tilt/trim mounted on a breakaway plate. I'm turning a power tech reb3 15 pitch. The breakaway plate didn't affect my hole shot at all

Whats your speed with that set up ?
    “We as a group now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live

What breakaway plate would you recommend ?

CMC
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Also want to ask this. Will motor height make make the boat porpoise? reason I ask at full throttle I trim up the boat will start porpoising and I have to trim back down.

Triming up forces the stern down. Thus initiating porpoising. Jacking the motor up pushes level. Thus not initiating porpoising.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    Triming up forces the stern down. Thus initiating porpoising. Jacking the motor up pushes level. Thus not initiating porpoising.
    Thanks. So should I be able to get enough height out of a breakaway. I know its hard to determine without being able to see it.

If mounted right yes you should be able to clear the bottom of the hull. If not you'll be in the same boat I'm in and need to get a plate made to raise it up.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

I'm running 46 down river but need to bring motor up 1 more hole I have a lot of positive trim

Quote Originally Posted by mearle4 View Post
    I'm running 46 down river but need to bring motor up 1 more hole I have a lot of positive trim
    How many rpm are you turning? What is the rev limiter on those 4 strokes and can you cut the limiter wire on those like you can the 2 stroke yamahas ?

Not sure on the rpms and I doubt there is a wire to cut everything is run off a computer and efi.

And rev limiter kicks in at 6k rpms