Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outboard

Default Outboard

I have now officially exploded my 4th lower unit on my short shaft Johnson. I'm personally tired of it. I was just running in normal conditions and the bitch exploded. Help me find a 40-50 short shaft Yamaha!
    Last edited by Relentlous; 10-03-2017 at 04:13 PM.
    867-5309

Find a tohatsu tldi.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Find a tohatsu tldi.
    Thanks! Just spoke with a guy that distributes them. Thinking I'm going to order a brand new 50. Comes with a 5 year warranty and is reasonably priced.
    867-5309

The 4 stroke is a beast as well. Can't go wrong either way!
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

What model Johnson motor did you have ?

It's a 92 short shaft 15"
    867-5309

i only had to explode 2 johnson lower units before i junked it and bought a tohatsu 50 tldi. that was a very smart decision

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    i only had to explode 2 johnson lower units before i junked it and bought a tohatsu 50 tldi. that was a very smart decision
    Have you had any trouble with the computer in the tldi? Is it lighter than the omc?
    867-5309

The thing about the OMC was for a long time you could find a used lower unit for a couple hundred bucks and bolt it up and go. They were the chevy 350 of outboards.
    cut\'em

I thought Johnsons just came on used boats. Can you buy one new not attached to a boat already? There's no way someone could walk up and pick out a Johnson on a dealers floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Have you had any trouble with the computer in the tldi? Is it lighter than the omc?
    i purchased mine new in 09. i had to take it back one time because a light came, i cant remember the details, but it was a simple fix that didnt cost me anything. other than that, its been the best outboard ive ever owned. cranks first time, every time, has a plenty of power, and after the break in period, it sips oil. BUT, the TLDI is heavier than the ole two cyl johnsons.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I thought Johnsons just came on used boats. Can you buy one new not attached to a boat already? There's no way someone could walk up and pick out a Johnson on a dealers floor.
    i made the fatal mistake of buying one of those used boats with a johnson..... and after that purchase, i passed on a many of good boat deals because i swore i would never own another johnson hahahaa

Folks that will pass on a deal on an OMC outboard don't know shit about older outboards.

I have half a dozen of them. They've all been bullet proof and inexpensive.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

yeah whatever, they're ugly

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Folks that will pass on a deal on an OMC outboard don't know shit about older outboards.

I got three myself. Two of them now just have blown lower units and the other is a long shaft 40 with maybe 30 hrs on it. Think that motor is a 96'. It's just laying in my yard. It was my grandfathers and my old man, for some reason, won't give me the title to sell the bastard.
    867-5309

I'll give you $100 for that long shaft 40. I don't need a title.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

We've got a 99 Johnson 90 on a pontoon boat and its given us a lot of good use but its about time for a new motor on the barge.

OMC = peice of dog shit.
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

Then why do you have a half dozen? Sounds to me like youre pulling scrap parts to fix the POS.
    Last edited by DJA; 10-04-2017 at 09:52 AM.
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by DJA View Post
    Then why do you have a half dozen? Sounds to me like youre pulling scrap parts to fix the POS.
    Nope.

I'll swap that power head with another frame that doesn't have a title and title both as home builds.

Then, I'll have seven of 'em. And, all of 'em will have titles. And, they'll all run like a scalded dog.

ETA: I don't have six 40's. I have a 110, 150, 30, 40 (Evinrude), 40 (Johnson), and 15. Then, there's the 90 Yamaha which is the speed demon and a 115 Etec.
    Last edited by turbo; 10-04-2017 at 10:20 AM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Nope.

I'll swap that power head with another frame that doesn't have a title and title both as home builds.

Then, I'll have seven of 'em. And, all of 'em will have titles. And, they'll all run like a scalded dog.
    What you're describing is like no OMC built evinrude or Johnson I have ever run across but I'll take your word for it that it won't blow up with your special touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk