Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The science of the grunt call

Default The science of the grunt call

Once again, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and most of the stink. That being said, I have heard dozens of "professional" opinions on using a grunt call. Some say use it loud and proud, others say throw it away and get a bleat, still others recommend to only use it when he is in sight, just out of range.

I have been in the woods my whole life. While I have only shot one "trophy" buck, I have harvested dozens of good bucks during every part of the season.

My quandary is, that after all these years and dozens of deer taken, I have only heard an actual guttural grunt three or four times, and even then it did not sound like my flextone.

When and how often do you use your grunt? What situation warrants its use for you?
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

I use it after about 7 whiskey drinks and the old lady is giving me the eye like she knows what's in store when we get home

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I hear bucks grunt very often. I have used it successfully several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I'm with stupid.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I heard one grunting this weekend before sunrise. Whenever I've heard them grunt, it is usually very low in tone.

Use mine alot. Hear bucks grunt a good bit. Saw two different bucks grinting this wkd.

Every time I've heard it, it's been really low in volume

I have heard them five out of the last seven times in the tree this year. I killed a 3yr old 8pt last week after hitting the horns together. I had grunted at him several times within a 10 minute period of him chasin does without a response. So I picked up the horns and he came in pissed off smacking every other tree limb or sapling he came across before he stopped under my tree to be greeted with a rage at 5 yrds. It all depends on the area you are hunting and the herd’s behavior at that time. I find that a "Young Buck" setting on a call is most effective for all ages. If you don’t get a response with in the first two or three attempts you mind as well put it down. Some times they will come back looking for you after you thought they were long gone. You also want to be near some thicker cover to make the deer search for you.

A lot of people THINK they hear deer grunting all the time, but I've always wondered how many of those people have actually been looking at the buck when it happened and not just heard a noise in the woods and called it a grunt. Not calling anyone out at all, I've just thought about about this because I've only heard a grunt 3 times that I know of and I was looking at the bucks all three times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Ace View Post
    You are exactly right sc sportsman

You are exactly right sc sportsman

Watch bucks 150 yds away grunt in the scope and hear it softly.

I just burp....
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwwGjOj1clc[/ame]
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I have heard deer grunt on all three of my last hunts . I saw one do it as he was pawing the ground like a bull does at a matador. I also heard one wheeze (sounded more like a hiss)at another buck on 8/31 Just telling you what I saw and heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by sc sportsman View Post
    A lot of people THINK they hear deer grunting all the time, but I've always wondered how many of those people have actually been looking at the buck when it happened and not just heard a noise in the woods and called it a grunt. Not calling anyone out at all, I've just thought about about this because I've only heard a grunt 3 times that I know of and I was looking at the bucks all three times.
    anyone who does this is an idiot. I have and will continue to witness fights and grunts on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Cypress Point; 10-15-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I was hunting a power line that ran through a thick stand of 8 year old planted pine. There was a swamp back through the pines on one side. I grunted on my call 3 times and about 2 minutes later I heard a buck grunt back toward the swamp. I heard him hit the water in the swamp then he grunted again. All together he grunted about 6 times before he ran out onto the power line about 75 yds away, looked toward where I was, then he grunted again.

He covered a lot of ground fast and he was all bowed up when he came out on the power line. He was looking for a fight and he got one from a 130 grain SBT running around 2800 fps. He weighed 175 lbs and was toting 9 points.

That was the only time that I have had any luck with a grunt call.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Do you know what a gobbler sounds like in the woods, even when you don't see it? An owl?
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

I hear noises, burps, crewin cud, wheezes, snorts etc.. Much more often than the 3-5 second "grunt" you see Will Primos do on his commercial. The sound the "pros" mimic is a sound that I have literally only heard once.

My one and only 140"+ buck make a legit grunt as he entered a field I was hunting over, his nose to the ground, trotting at a fair pace looking for that deer pussy. It was in the middle of the rut and be wasn't responding to anything I had done, he had one thing on his mind and wanted every other buck to know that daddy's home.

Do you ever grunt randomly, not in response to hearing another buck grunt? Like sometimes I use it after just sitting there for a couple hours without any activity, but it has yet to directly result in a buck sighting
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

I remember the first time I ever heard one grunt. Chased two does around in circles for 5 minutes in thick woods and finally in front of me steady grunting the whole time. Sounds different then any grunt call I'd heard or used up to that point. Heard one the other morning that never showed himself. I'd imagine those that have heard it know what I mean about the sound. I described it as almost electronic the first time I heard one. I don't grunt near as Deep in tone as I used to.

I use it through out the season. Both of the trophy deer I have on the wall came into grunts one me blindly grunting and him coming in the other was walking away and I called him to me watching the while time. Deep grunts do spook the little ones at times but I have found it effective in the larger more dominate bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Lazy is not a virtue of a duck hunter.