View Poll Results: How many pounds of stuff (people, dogs, decoys and gear do you load into your boat?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • 450lbs I hunt with supermodels and a boykin

12 15.79%
  • 600lbs I hunt with supermodels but full foam Herters

14 18.42%
  • 750lbs I hunt with dudes but we travel light

25 32.89%
  • >900lbs I travel like Cornwallis did on his way through Camden

25 32.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hauling the Load, How Much?

Default Hauling the Load, How Much?

I got my new waders in the mail today so I decided to weigh what my normal personal load would be. My typical load not counting decoys is waders, gun (my Nova is standing in for the weigh in), shells, calls, gloves, head cover and jacket. The weight of that package is 210lbs worth of me plus 26lbs worth of stuff for a 236lb total dry weight.

Now the interesting part. How much does my boat bring in? Typically three hunters (700lbs), black dog (55lbs), two dozen decoys (50lbs), dog stand (10lbs) and sled (10lbs). Add in the safety equipment (25lbs), six gallons of fuel (36lbs) and snacks in the boat (10lbs), that amounts to about 900lbs. Once we return wet I feel sure we add another 40~50lbs.

Was this a surprising to you as it was to me that we are taking literally a half a ton of stuff in my boat for a typical day in the swamp? MG

Last edited by Maggie Glover; 09-13-2014 at 12:36 PM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

What waders you end up with?

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post
    What waders you end up with?
    Drake MST 2.0 bottom land
    Dum Spiro Spero

Where is less than 450?

If you carry ten lbs. Of snacks, you are my kinda man!! That's what I'm talking about!!

Quote Originally Posted by higear View Post
    If you carry ten lbs. Of snacks, you are my kinda man!! That's what I'm talking about!!
    Well in fairness, I included the weight of Diet Cokes also. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

I had 900 lbs in my 14ft lowe that Cut'em bought from me when i pulled up at the ramp one morning on Hartwell. Pulled up to the dock to get the truck and ole green jeans was laughing. Not gunna say who "he" was but everybody around here knows him. I asked what he was laughing at and he said there was only about 1-1/2" of boat sticking out of the water. I asked him what he thought might have put me over weight and he said all those decoys. I said nah i think its the dog, she had a big breakfast this morning.

OK den!! I know what you mean. Sorta like when I put the DC 1.25's in the cooler when I go fishing. Yeah boy....over 10 lbs. For sure then!!

Let's see, 3 people with gear should top 600 pounds easily. Eight dozen magnums another 200 pounds. 100 pounds of decoys weights. Other misc gear and dog, 250 pounds. Yea, easily over 1/2 ton. Probably closer to 2/3 ton.
    "We have become so open minded that our brains have fallen out"

Strange. As of right now over 800 views but only ~50 votes on the polls, wonder why such a disparity? Are the spiders working overtime? MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Really depends on where I am hunting. If we are out of town on a trip, we'll pack a camping grill, bacon, eggs, the whole works. Partly, because we know we are going to be in the water for at least 8 hours. Fat boys like us get hungry. Plus, I always carry an extra set of thermals, socks, gloves, etc. It's also handy to have a small propane heater to help dry said material out if you didn't bring extra. If you've ever went under, you understand why?
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

You should see what I put in mine when camping. I've thinned it down some over the years.

If'n you had supermodels & a Lab, I could vote.

I have gone from one extreme to another. Used to be everything I could fit in the boat. Stove, decoys, cooler, grill, extra guns,shells, waders and dry clothes.

Now it would be however much a box of shells, a thermos of coffee, three black duck decoys, a pair of waders and a shotgun weigh.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by triplebeard View Post
    You should see what I put in mine when camping. I've thinned it down some over the years.
    From 4 to 3 tons...

I need another toggle point.

I hunt foamers, and a lot of them. Then I have a couple smaller boats in my bigger boat, "just in case".
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Women worry about weight...

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    Women worry about weight...

Didnt you capsize in the swamp a few years back?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I haven't used my boat in South Carolina in the last year or two except for an early goose season hunt in 2013. I only use it OOS for the most part ... last time I used it we had 4 people, 5 or 6 dozen decoys, a couple of blind bags, shells, etc. Probably around 1200lbs in a 15' Xpress with a 25hp on the back. Ended up getting a warning for being over the Coast Guard Approved weight that was listed on the boat. First time that happened to me.

I'd say with two people and gear, the load is usually around 500-700 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Strange. As of right now over 800 views but only ~50 votes on the polls, wonder why such a disparity? Are the spiders working overtime? MG
    Can't vote on the polls from Tapatalk. Or at least I haven't figured how to accomplish it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft