Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC Among Highest Taxed States

But they use it so well on the roads....

It's because we have too many roads

I saw that yesterday.....shit is sickening
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

Property tax and income tax. Makes you wonder if there's ever been a conservative on Assembly Street.

I've said it before, South Carolina is not a conservative state. We put on a show for national elections, but when it comes down to it, most "conservatives" here still want a handout.

Ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    It's because we have too many roads
    I've been saying that for years. Not every road needs to be paved, especially when only a handful of people live on a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Property tax and income tax. Makes you wonder if there's ever been a conservative on Assembly Street.
    If you guys think our property taxes are high, with some exceptions in places like Charleston, etc, you have no idea how high they are around the country.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post

If you guys think our property taxes are high, with some exceptions in places like Charleston, etc, you have no idea how high they are around the country.
    Some of the stories I hear from yankees about that is mind numbing. Taxes on a normal house approaching 10k a year in some areas.

One thing that really pisses me off about property taxes in the tri-county area is the fact that taxes on a second home are taxed at around 3x the rate if it is a primary residence. Is it like that state wide or is it county by county? I'm thinking county bc Dorchester is the highest of the three.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Relativism doesn't help you with this argument. In fact, this doesn't even make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    Some of the stories I hear from yankees about that is mind numbing. Taxes on a normal house approaching 10k a year in some areas.

One thing that really pisses me off about property taxes in the tri-county area is the fact that taxes on a second home are taxed at around 3x the rate if it is a primary residence. Is it like that state wide or is it county by county? I'm thinking county bc Dorchester is the highest of the three.
    In the late 80's/early 90's, before I transferred back down to SC, I lived up on the North side of Columbus, Ohio for six years in a new $225K home on a 1/4 acre lot. The taxes at that point were about $2500 or so. That same house now has a tax bill in the ballpark of $10K, or did when a guy I used to work with owned it a few years back.

A new neighbor down here moved from Westchester, NY, two years ago to be near their son and daughter-in-law. Their taxes up in NY on an 1800 sf home were over $16K, and that included the senior discount. When he got his first tax bill here he asked me if that was a monthly bill or not. He couldn't believe that his annual bill was less than a monthly installment up in NY.

I have to shake my head every time someone around here complains about property taxes being high. I don't like paying any more than anyone else, but I've learned to count my blessings when necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Relativism doesn't help you with this argument. In fact, this doesn't even make sense.
    Yes, Fish, since you are the one who brought up Property taxes even though the article didn't refer to them, 'relativism' does play a part in this argument. And if my point doesn't make any sense to you, I'd say that you're the one with the blinders on. Get another cup of coffee.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Yes it's state wide. Your primary residence is taxed at $100,000 less that the assessed value. This is because the state gives you a discount on your primary residence. A second home or vacation home is taxed at the full assessed value. That's why if you look at the taxes on zillow at a house it might say the doubled from year to year. That's because the owners may have moved and are claiming it as a second home till they sell.

At least that's what my real estate agent told me. If I'm wrong someone will be along to correct me I'm sure.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 02-22-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post

Dorchester County property taxes are high as giraffe butt because it is home to a lot of people that work at the large major imployers in Berkely and Charleston counties. If Dorchester had the industry that B & C have our property taxes would come down. Dorchester's industry is housing.

I lived in Milwaukee county Wisconsin for nearly 3 years in a town called Oak Creek. Payroll taxes were low 5% per pay period. The home I lived in was 8 years old 1950 square feet on a half acre lot and my taxes were nearly $6000 per year. We paid no property taxes on autos but annual registration was $125. I now live just north of Dallas in Collin county, house is newly built 3500 square feet and it cost me $8000 per year in property taxes. Texas has no income tax. From my experience, they are going to get it from you somehow. Some states kick you in the crotch with a lump sum and others spread it out.

Property tax is a local elected official issue.

Income taxes were decreased since I have served.

Grocery taxes were eliminated since I have served.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

gee thanks DT
    2 taxes were eliminated or decreased.

Wanna list the ones that started during your tenure?
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 02-22-2017 at 01:15 PM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

take your time. I know it has to be exhausting....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

got eeeeem
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

And just think, non-property owners get to vote for these tax increases.

I have been touting this for years. Highest tax bracket, lowest ed bracket, worst land managment bracket.

No public man can be just a little crooked. HH
    Genesis 9;2