Thread: Da Bears

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I get and subscribe to that, but this anomaly has had a very rapid onset. A bear that sees a human is supposed to BOLT. Seeing one crossing a road makes a deer look like a box turtle. Suddenly they stop, look at you, and saunter up the hill or down the road. Seeing them at all hours of the day walking around your house. Now, once in a while you would have A bear that was bolder than the rest. This summer it is the high majority. I can't discount that there has been some sort of tipping point, but what? If anything, development in our area has slowed since 2006. Large tracts of land have been conserved or made into parks. Immediately, we have 50,000 acres of protected lands which join a lot more with large wildlife corridors.

Thinking a bit about it, there has been a pretty large upswing in the number of humans mountain biking and hiking the last few years. I would guess at 500% increase there. Bears are certainly encountering more people on their own turf who are not trying to kill them for the first time...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I get and subscribe to that, but this anomaly has had a very rapid onset. A bear that sees a human is supposed to BOLT. Seeing one crossing a road makes a deer look like a box turtle. Suddenly they stop, look at you, and saunter up the hill or down the road. Seeing them at all hours of the day walking around your house. Now, once in a while you would have A bear that was bolder than the rest. This summer it is the high majority. I can't discount that there has been some sort of tipping point, but what? If anything, development in our area has slowed since 2006. Large tracts of land have been conserved or made into parks. Immediately, we have 50,000 acres of protected lands which join a lot more with large wildlife corridors.

Thinking a bit about it, there has been a pretty large upswing in the number of humans mountain biking and hiking the last few years. I would guess at 500% increase there. Bears are certainly encountering more people on their own turf who are not trying to kill them for the first time...
    Yep. Desensitization. Why would they be afraid of hippies they see all the time that aren’t trying to hurt them?

More tags and more hunting opportunities are needed.