Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sumter National Forest

Default Sumter National Forest

I want to try out hunting in the national forest area near Clinton, but have no idea where to start. Any pointers?
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

get a map of the wma in that area. You can pick them up at local check stations, dnr offices or print from the www. Do some riding. familiarize yourself with the boundaries, find something you like, down orange and get some walking done...
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

open truck door

get inside

put key in switch

turn key to the right for a few moments and release.............

Google Earth and a map is also advised

Lock up your shit

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    get a map of the wma in that area. You can pick them up at local check stations, dnr offices or print from the www. Do some riding. familiarize yourself with the boundaries, find something you like, down orange and get some walking done...
    ^^^^THIS^^^^
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post

Google Earth and a map is also advised
    When you get your WMA map (or use DNR's online), compare it to google earth, specifically the forest roads on the map to the google aerials to find the kind of habitat you want to hunt. Good luck!
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

Lock up anything you dont want stolen. Get off the beaten path. Get off on exit 54 in Clinton, drive towards Whitmire. The maps and Google earth can be a tremendous help.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Lock up your shit, get a topo map, take a bike, take gps.
    Last edited by Murray; 10-11-2012 at 07:22 AM.

the farther you walk, the less likely someone is to come walking by in the way to their spot.

WEAR ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Get map, drive to area and find those little yellow signs. When you see a good place to pull off do so. Lock up the truck, walk 50' off the road and hang your stand next to the other dude hunting the same spot. Don't worry though some other shithead will take the next tree soon enough.

Use to be a small spot of Gubmint woods off of 66 I believe down by a turkey farm, not sure if the farm is still there or not. Place was good for some decent deer and not really heavy on the pressure.

Start looking for a club to join next year.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

If your handle wasn't the Conservative and they didn't like your tee shirt. Some of these fellows would write ugly things about cyber scouting.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post

Start looking for a club to join next year.
    This. SNF is woefully mismanaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Huck View Post
    If your handle wasn't the Conservative and they didn't like your tee shirt. Some of these fellows would write ugly things about cyber scouting.
    He's not cyber-scouting. He's asking for advice about how to learn how to hunt vast public land acreage. I've seen cyberscouting; this isn't it. I'm forever indebted to folks who took the time to tell me generalities like this.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

If you're willing to do some leg work, there are deer and turkeys to be kilt. My best friend worked for the FS on the Sumter NF and he killed quite a few deer and turkeys in there. Legwork is your friend on any public land.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Conservative,try this-

1- Get a map of the WMA. Call DNR in Columbia if you have to, they will mail you one.

2- refer to my post above

3- hit the woods, if scouting during legal hunting times do not park near anyone, go some where else, come back later. Wear a orange hat and orange vest when in the woods.

Don't let anyone discourage you from hunting the government woods. Be smart, don't make it easy for a theif. I grew up in the 80s hunting SNF around Salem Crossroads and killed a bunch of deer there.I've also killed many from the Francis Marion. Times have changed and deer may be a little harder to kill but they are there.

I've spent the last 10-12 years hunting clubs, I gave it up last year due too much politics and other bullshit. I'm going back to the government woods myself. Each one is a trade off but at the end of the day a 90 lb cow forn killed out of the government woods eats just as good as a 8pt off of a corn pile.

Good luck

Call DNR at 864-654-1671. Ask for maps of the countys you are interested in hunting. They will show the public lands. I don't think they are as detailed as the old county maps, but its a start. They usually come right away I have gotten them the next day.

Why is everyone so scared of public land? Hell I think for the most part it receives less pressure than most clubs... I grew up hunting public land exclusively and still do from time to time and have only had a few incidents with bad apples. They are there for us as sportsman of SC to take advantage of... I enjoyed my years hunting the Sumter and learned how to deer hunt, turkey hunt, squirrel hunt, rabbit hunt, duck hunt by taking advantage of this opportunity. Great expanses of land with great game if you are willing to put the energy into it you will be rewarded. Hunt safe and hunt smart, you will be a better hunter from the experience!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

WMAs aint so bad, in fact I like 'em.

$50.00 a year will get you access to 1.2 million acres.

Back to basics on WMAs-

no ATVs
    no box/ladder stands
    no corn piles
    large tracts of land to wander
    I've actually met some pretty decent folks on WMAs over the years
    Clearly defined rules that are applied equally to everyone

Ive never hunted this particular tract of WMA but I would try down Hwy 56 near Belfast Plantation. I am on a club in this area and it is loaded with deer. I don't see too many hunters in that section of WMA when I pass either.

I agree there are plenty of good places to hunt on gov't woods. At this time of the year it is a madhouse on the weekends. I have killed quite a few deer on public land and an ass of turkeys. More than anything it is getting away from the crowds and that takes years of hunting areas and finding hidden jewels. My land joins SNF and I have seen it all.