Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dove field Protection

Default Dove field Protection

I am on a mission. Got the back fence constructed on my stay the hell out, deer staggered electric fence this weekend. Next will be to run the outer fence. I'm thinking 30" or so out from the back fence, which has wires at 10" and 32". Front wire will be 20" from the ground. About 1.5 mile of fence altogether. Problem is, I have a long way to get power, and was thinking a solar charger would be the way to go. Trouble is, they are much less powerful than a wired model, and much more expensive. The expense isn't a big deal, as I'm on a mission, but I'm a tightwad, so there's that.

What is the minimum Joules I need to deter the damn things? Would 3-400' of extension cords carry power sufficient to run a charger? What size UG wire do I need to pull that distance to just add an outdoor outlet onto my pre-existing shop panel? Would I be better to run insulated wire from the charger at the shop all the way to the wire on the fence?

School me on lighting this thing up!

To keep them out you need to be thinking in feet not inches. 8' minimum for the top hot wire

You want to come down to ours and look again

Sure. Y'all had to run some wire a long ways, if I remember right.

Also, I'm on the hunt for 20-50 lbs of Benne. Seems Wannamakers is out, and doesn't know when he will be able to get more.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaya View Post
    Also, I'm on the hunt for 20-50 lbs of Benne. Seems Wannamakers is out, and doesn't know when he will be able to get more.
    I ordered mine from Hancock seed. They had free shipping on the 25 and 50 pound bags when I ordered two weeks ago.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Sure. Y'all had to run some wire a long ways, if I remember right.

I can clear up sometime around lunch tomorrow

12 AWG is a plenty for a charger at that distance. Two 250' rolls of UF Romex and a splice kit.

Order a Parmak 50 mile, Hamm Hardware in Prosperity has them in stock.....
    http://parmakusa.com/product/super-energizer-5/

Side note. Are your fence lines straight? Zig zag and curves work best. Deer associate the "line of post" and it allows them to time the jumps.

I am on a mission as well. Following.

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    I ordered mine from Hancock seed. They had free shipping on the 25 and 50 pound bags when I ordered two weeks ago.
    Never used them. Everything go well on the order?

HS, Just say when. You still have my cell number?

And thanks.
    Last edited by Slaya; 04-18-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Smilee, That sounds reasonable. I think the wired charger would do a better job and maintain higher voltage across the fence.

Fence is not the straightest in the world, as I had my 12 yo on the tractor drilling post holes. Not too bad, either, he's a quick learner. Can go up to 6' on the posts I have. Will use step ins on the outside single poly fence, as I already have a pile of those. Wood corners, and about every 50-55 yards, and at the Gate. Went with a 16' opening for access to the field with equipment (two-row equipment). I have about 4 of the 7 acres under fence. That will be the sunflower patch, and the rest will get something the deer won't completely destroy, like benne, millet, corn, or the like.

For the record, I also intend to bait the outer wire with peanut butter strips for a while.
    Last edited by Slaya; 04-18-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Never used them. Everything go well on the order?
    Yep. I've used them a couple of times and have never had an issue. Quick shipping and good quality seed on everything I've used
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Easy enough. Check that off the list.

This did not work. They ate every sunflower in the field. Fence was powered by a Parmak solar.

dove field 2015a.jpg

Top sewn wheat don't need no electricity.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I definitely want a hot charger on it. Read where the recommended minimum was 6000 volts. I don't see a solar that can do that. I had a battery powered one before, and that didn't work. My fence, modeled after Highstrung's, which has worked for a couple years, is high tensile on the back fence, and will have polytape or rope on the outside single strand. I know of another local field with a three wire single fence, hot at 10", hot at 36", and ground wire between. He baits with Peanut butter, and has had very little browse issues.

Did the peanut butter trick: did not work. I don't think the Parmak was hot enough to cut through the hair using poly tape. Will use wire and a 12v battery if I do this field again. They topped every plant on 3.5 acres in less than a week.

That's been my problem, on this field, also. Barely touch the one at the farm, but this one, like a buzzsaw, once they start. Had 26 deer in one Game cam picture end of last season.

Electric fence, ran a strand about belly button high, coated with peanut butter, milorganite every 2-3 weeks, sprayed dimethoate. Worked great the first year....cow knocked down the fence and cleared 5 acres real quick like the second year