Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Managed/Low Recoil Factory Ammo

Default Managed/Low Recoil Factory Ammo

So, I just picked up a 308 for my 12 year old for Christmas. I got what I think was a pretty solid deal on a Savage Model 10 with the Nikon scope and walnut stock. To say he's going to be pleased would be an understatement. I was trying to steer him towards something with a little less kick, but he's been locked in on 308 for a while. He's not necessarily recoil sensitive, he's shot my 270 and 3 inch turkey loads without complaining,but I don't want him to develop a flinch.

Does anyone have experience with the managed/low recoil factory ammunition? I see Hornady and Remington with 120/125 grain bullets and federal with 170's. I would think the 120 SST would be a good option, but was wondering if anyone could educate me.

The hornady loads are great. .30-06 feels like a .243

The Reduced Recoil loads should shoot pretty much to the same POI as the same brand of full power loads out to about 150 yds. Past that you may be pushing it.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 11-17-2017 at 09:00 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    The Reduced Recoil loads should shoot pretty much to the same POI as the same brand of full power loads out to about 200 yds. Past that you'd be pushing it.
    Negative.

My son's .243 shoots the Hornady reduced recoil loads really well. For us, they are flat shooting loads from 50-120 yards out, but I have not tested them beyond 120-125 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Negative.
    Could you expand on that?

Definitely not going to be pushing beyond 150 or so on game with these loads. If he's ready to shoot out to 200, then he's ready for big boy bullets.

Get someone that reloads to load some 125 grain bullets over a faster rifle powder like H322, H335, or H4198. I use a similar load in my 308 3gun rifle. It’s accurate, has more than enough energy with low recoil. 125 Sierras or Nosler Ballistic Tips are both accurate and will expand at lower velocities.

Hornady 125 grain SST reduced recoil in .308. Zero it to 1 inch high at 100 yards, and don't look back out to 150. Beyond that, you best let it pass. It will kill one out to 200 yards, but it starts dropping drastically after 150. The box will show the ballistics. Zero to 2.3 inches high at 100 will have you dead on at 150, and around 6 inches low at 200. Then, the bottom falls out. I have a youth .308 for my daughter, and Hornady reduced recoil is the most consistent factory load in that gun.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

For handloads in a reduced velocity 30 caliber round, historically the Speer 130 grain bullet that was commonly loaded for single shot pistols in 30-30 Winchester and such was a good choice. The 125 grain Ballistic Tip, Hornady SST rounds would be good as well.

My brother has an implanted defib on his shooting shoulder and has to use reduced recoil stuff. I THINK he's shooting the Remington load for the 30-06, and has been getting good results.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Lowcountry Boy View Post
    Could you expand on that?

Definitely not going to be pushing beyond 150 or so on game with these loads. If he's ready to shoot out to 200, then he's ready for big boy bullets.
    I don't buy into thinking the POI won't change, I'm sure you can kill critters with managed recoil ammo, but you better re-zero and see how she groups . That's why I said negative earlier.

Negative.
    You say "Negative", but then you follow that up with your opinion. Would you consider that your opinion might be wrong?
    I don't buy into thinking the POI won't change, I'm sure you can kill critters with managed recoil ammo, but you better re-zero and see how she groups . That's why I said negative earlier.
    The Reduced Recoil loads should shoot pretty much to the same POI as the same brand of full power loads out to about 200 yds. Past that you'd be pushing it.
    Based on Fuzzy's info, I'll drop my 200 yd estimate down to 150 because I don't have hard personal data past that point, only reports from a friend.

I recently shot some 7-08 140 gr CoreLokt's @ 100 yds, followed by the same in their reduced recoil load and saw no appreciable difference in the POI @ 100 Yds. I didn't get the chance to test it beyond that because the 200-300 yd range was closed.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 11-18-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    ~ George Washington

My memory was off a little. Here are the charts from Hornady on the reduced recoil and standard load. Top is reduced, and bottom is standard.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    My memory was off a little. Here are the charts from Hornady on the reduced recoil and standard load. Top is reduced, and bottom is standard.
    Thanks for looking those up, Fuzzy. That indicates that if you zero your rifle at 2" high at 100 yds, for both loads, your effective Point Blank Zero should be out around 235 Yds. The standard load will actually have a PBZ out farther, using a 3" drop vs the old standard of 8", which I think is too much for SC whitetails, but one may well be able to interchange the loads in a rifle for different people without re-zeroing.

OBVIOUSLY, one needs to confirm these results in their rifle(s) before setting out for a hunt.

Thanks.
    ~ George Washington

I will add that I think the numbers shown by Hornady are a little high for the reduced recoil when shot out of a youth size gun. Most youth guns are going to have a shorter barrel, therfore the bullet will not reach those velocities. Hopefully someone that has more knowledge of all this stuff will chime in and give a better explanation than what I can.

Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for looking those up, Fuzzy. That indicates that if you zero your rifle at 2" high at 100 yds, for both loads, your effective Point Blank Zero should be out around 235 Yds. The standard load will actually have a PBZ out farther, using a 3" drop vs the old standard of 8", which I think is too much for SC whitetails, but one may well be able to interchange the loads in a rifle for different people without re-zeroing.

OBVIOUSLY, one needs to confirm these results in their rifle(s) before setting out for a hunt.

Thanks.
    I don't think you would notice much difference in poi between the 2 loads out to 200 yards, but I believe there is significant difference in the "knock-down" past 150 yards. I have killed several with my daughters rifle, but the longest shot I have taken was just over 100 yards. All of them were DRT. I personally have complete confidence in those rounds, but suggest taking it to the range to see exactly what the bullet does on a piece paper out of a particular gun.

Thomas Jefferson

Thanks.
    So what your saying is the POI could potentially change?

I will add that I think the numbers shown by Hornady are a little high for the reduced recoil when shot out of a youth size gun. Most youth guns are going to have a shorter barrel, therfore the bullet will not reach those velocities. Hopefully someone that has more knowledge of all this stuff will chime in and give a better explanation than what I can.
    If the old general rule of them holds true of 50(?) fps lost per inch of muzzle length... obviously to to point... I'd check the velocity charts and see where they depart and subtract from there on the reduced loads. I'd think it would get you in the ballpark.

I don't think you would notice much difference in poi between the 2 loads out to 200 yards, but I believe there is significant difference in the "knock-down" past 150 yards. I have killed several with my daughters rifle, but the longest shot I have taken was just over 100 yards. All of them were DRT. I personally have complete confidence in those rounds, but suggest taking it to the range to see exactly what the bullet does on a piece paper out of a particular gun.
    Check the energy charts. I've generally followed a minimum of 1600 fps for a bullet to open up, but obviously placement is more critical as proven by deer being killed with .22's.
    So what your saying is the POI could potentially change?
    Golly gee... Ya' think? They can change between lots of the exact same round, as I'm sure you know.

It's apparent you're just looking for an argument since you know all, so just go tell your wife her jeans make her look fat and she needs to loose 30 lbs and go from there, "2th Jr". That should give your day some spice. Good luck!
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 11-18-2017 at 01:34 PM.
    ~ George Washington

Golly gee... Ya' think? They can change between lots of the exact same round, as I'm sure you know.

It's apoarent you're just looking for an argument since you know all, so just go tell your wife her leans make her look fat and she needs to loose 30 lbs and go from there, "2th Jr". That should give your day some spice. Good luck!
    You are the jackass who said the reduced recoil rounds would have the same POI. I said negative because your original post was bullshit, then explained why. Maybe your a touch sensitive today, I don't know, but if I were you I would try and go the rest of the day without acting like a little bitch.

Those numbers are nothing more than marketing. You’ll have to shoot them out of your rifle trough a chrono or at distance to see what they’re actually doing. A good ballistic app will allow you to figure your true MV.

Thanks.
    What if your scope is 3 inches from the barrel of your gun?