Thread: Well Pump repair

Default Well Pump repair

My well pump tripped the breaker this morning while I was in the shower and won't reset. This is the first house I've had with well water so not sure who to call. Plumber or electrician?

Anyone know of a good contact in the Chapin area?

What do you mean "want reset"? The breaker? You know to reset the breaker you must first fully switch it to the off position before trying to switch it to the "on" position. That resets the breaker (if this is a newer home or has an updated electrical panel).

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

If it begins to trip a breaker a few times, you have more going on. Well pumps should last 10-12 years but mine have not lasted that long. Don't try to save money if you have to replace it. Buy a good one.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Yes, the breaker. I flipped the breaker to off and then back to the set position. But it subsequently trips. The longest it went without tripping was probably 60 seconds.

Not sure how old it is. The house is about 28 years old. This is the first issue with the pump since we bought it 3 years ago.
    Last edited by billyjack; 09-20-2013 at 07:26 AM.

How old is the pump? Some cheaper pumps will only last a few years. Ask around to find a good well driller in your area. Compare prices but make sure you are comparing the same specs for the same pump.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Depending on the depth, you may be looking at $800-1K to replace. Again if you have to replace, don't try to save a couple hundred on a cheap pump.

Take the cover off of the relay switch and see if the wires are fried. Relays go out from time to time.

Another thing, I would make sure they use 2 check valves. One just above the pump, and the second about 2/3rds the way up to the top of the well pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by bbroadway View Post
    Take the cover off of the relay switch and see if the wires are fried. Relays go out from time to time.
    Is that easily accessible on a submersable pump?

Yep might be the control box. especially if it is rusted. You can get another from Lowes to try. Just make sure it is the same. Be sure to turn the breaker OFF before starting, also make sure it is not touching the dirt. This will make it rust later.

Would this be located at/on the pump or under the house with the holding tank?

Lightning got mine in July. was $1800 to replace, but i did upgrade considerably to assist with the water usage of adding two children to the mix. Sorry I cannot help you in the Chapin area though.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Wires from the relay run down to the submersible pump. The relay turns the pump on and off depending on the pressure in the tank. So it should be right where your well is. Look under that fake rock that most people put on them. If it is the relay, take the cover with you to Lowes to make sure you buy the same one. It is probably a 30 / 50 and wire the new one up the same way the old one is and you will be fine. Mine went out about a week ago and I had to do the same thing.

Wires from the relay run down to the submersible pump. The relay turns the pump on and off depending on the pressure in the tank. So it should be right where your well is. Look under that fake rock that most people put on them. If it is the relay, take the cover with you to Lowes to make sure you buy the same one. It is probably a 30 / 50 and wire the new one up the same way the old one is and you will be fine. Mine went out about a week ago and I had to do the same thing.
    I'll take a look. Was yours showing the same symptoms as mine (breaker tripping)?

Thanks

Sounds like a your pressure switch is bad:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggn0hyGI2AU[/ame]
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Yeah it was doing the same thing. I think the new relay was $12 or $13 bucks. It wasn't hard to replace. The relay screws onto a galvanized pipe, so get some plumbers tape to use when putting the new one on. I hope that's your problem.

It's apparently a short between the house and the pump. Pump is fine. The guy ran new wire from house to pump but doesn't have a trencher to bury it. Who do I call to do that type of work?

I could maybe do it but I'd probably dig up every wire and pipe running to my house in the process.

if its only wire, you're lucky. had to replace my submersible pump last w/e.

The tank was also leaking and had some bubbling rust, so I'm having that replaced since I know its going to eventually cause a problem.

If you can't fix it yourself call Glenn long.