Thread: Boat Build

Default Boat Build

I was looking to build a boat. I know some of you on here have done it. I was wondering what are some of the pros and cons. Should I go with a gator style boat plan or the hybrid boat plan. How time consuming and difficult is it?

Thanks

Will you be hunting creeks, lakes or swamps?

mostly rivers and lakes. was thinking about building something similar to the duckhunter plans from gator. want something that 2 people can hunt out of.

I've built many boats,
    Hybrids are my favorite but its tough to hunt 2 guys. gators are heavy as hell so its a trade off. It is time consuming but not as bad as you would think. Build it in the off season and work on it an hour or two per night and it will be done in no time. Dont do it if you're trying to save money because you wont. It is very rewarding and you can customize it perfectly to your needs so that its a joy to hunt out off.

Yeah, I know the cost would be the same if i went out and just bought a jon boat but it'll give me something to do and there are some things I want "customized".

Go for it then man. its very rewarding. I'd stack my boats up against any jon boat in terms of stability, weight, speed, draft, and durability. Its WELL worth the time and effort.

Griffin, have you ever thought about laying Kevlar in with the fiberglass on the bottom for reinforcement?

Don't skimp on the fiberglass.

Look at the West system. Get the pumps. 1 drop of resin to 1 drop of hardener.

It's fool proof.
    He would have been nice next year.

Xhail,
    I have thought of trying something like this on my next build where i intend to run a surface drive and beat the crap out of it. In the past I used 6oz glass for the inside and top of the boats and 7.5 to 10oz glass on the bottoms. I had one with 3 layers of 10oz glass on the bottom and I hit a log in a creek full speed (26-27mph) and didn't hurt a damn thing on the boat. Kevlar is prob a better way to gain strength and keep the weight down. 10oz glass is heavy.

My uncle built the croc. Its bad ass