Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SCDNR Turkey survey

I have honestly never heard the word reaping before today.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    I have honestly never heard the word reaping before today.
    637,000 results when typed in google:

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.cKFrYtf0SEc
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

I agree DJP. I guess we need to learn what turkey hunting is all about in SC these days.

Quote Originally Posted by HartClemson99 View Post
    637,000 results when typed in google:

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.cKFrYtf0SEc
    I did just that when I saw it on the survey. I'm just saying that I have never heard it referenced in turkey hunting before yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I'm a pretty big fan of fewer laws.

Y'all are comfortable with having to notify the fucking government that you killed a turkey?
    I don't mind filling out a survey and being honest on it. But I'm with sportin on this one, screw calling/using an app to notify the govt every time you kill something.

Just a thought, but instead of having a telecheck system or something of the like why not have a mandatory survey before you can purchase a hunting license each year ? It could be filled out anonymously (or not) If you go to purchase a license online it automatically goes to the survey before you can purchase a license. If you purchase from a store, require them to have the survey first And have DNR pick them up on a monthly basis. Make sure the number of licenses that store sells coincides within a certain percentage to the number of surveys filled out. Maybe I'm wrong but I think most people would prefer that over telecheck and Hunter's typically understand the need for feedback from those of us on the field and I think most would fill out the survey honestly and willingly.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

never heard reaping used in that manner, either.

I personally think the "strutter decoy" issue is just something the mob mentality picked up on....although I am certainly willing to look at data if they can say "x" number of turkeys were killed with the aid of a male turkey decoy. I just dont think they can get that data.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Complex social bird.....complex harvest analysis!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

agreed....but how do you quantify the effects of male turkey decoys? Gonna be damn near impossible...unless you have a "control group" where you outlaw them for a period of time. However, tuffy can tell ya....it will be hard considering the population isnt static.

I received the email and as others have said, I am glad to see someone taking an interest in what’s going on with the population. Interesting questions and looking forward to seeing the survey results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cant wait for the TSS crowd to honestly answer some questions.

Default SCDNR Turkey survey

cant wait for the TSS crowd to honestly answer some questions.
    I did, you know the main problem with people shooting TSS is the marketing behind it ( kills to 60-70 yards) as some boxes or commercials say. That’s what those questions were geared towards.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 06-13-2018 at 06:52 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Didn't get the survey but I had zero issues with driving to a check station to check a turkey in for YEARS. Guess I just appreciated that someone cared about the resource enough to want to know the stats on turkeys harvested, wait I remember some here have issue with that, KILLED.
    Haven't ever used them but I can live with or without reaping and strutter dekes.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Would have liked to have seen a question about, how many turkeys did you assist or call for other people who otherwise would not kill a turkey?

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    I did, you know the main problem with people shooting TSS is the marketing behind it ( kills to 60-70 yards) as some boxes or commercials say. That’s what those questions were geared towards.
    yep....that's why we need the honesty.

I put 30-40 yards. that's what my brain says when I see turkeys. you put them out at 50 and I'm not even considering shooting.

granted, i'm kinda old and have no reason to run off into the woods shooting at turkeys....and i actually dont even have a bead on my shotgun I use for turkeys...or a thumb grip stock thingie....or TSS.

I think the results will be more interesting than pertinent. It'd be nice to know how the peons hunt instead of the sub gauge, tss shooting, trumpet sucking elitist echo chamber of scducks.
    Laws should only be made only if the population cannot sustain/maintain itself, which would probably lead to a limit reduction not an outlawing of a certain style of hunting. I don't think asking people what gauge, pellet material, decoy preference or opinion on decoys is going to show that reaping or male turkey decoys account for too many dead turkeys.

Question 30.

Do you nit pick how others hunt while simultaneously passive aggressively bragging about how far your gun and shell can kill turkeys?

Question 31.

Does your matching camo collection smell like estrogen?

Question 32

Can you hands free smoke a Pall Mall while jumping your own kids on a heavily customized scooter and finish your telecheck registration before hitting the ground?

The questions were asked to see just what percentage of hunters use that tactic and if its has a negative effect on the population. Remember using male turkey decoys is a relatively new tactic modernized and marketed heavily within the last 15 years. Maybe there is a correlation between killing dominant male turkeys early in the season prior or during peak breeding, and the fall of numbers throughout the southeast, then again maybe there is not. Regarding the TSS questions, informing the public to an acceptable range rather than what the box says and patterning/knowing what your gun will do is what those questions were derived for.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 06-13-2018 at 07:22 AM.

yep....that's why we need the honesty.

I put 30-40 yards. that's what my brain says when I see turkeys. you put them out at 50 and I'm not even considering shooting.

granted, i'm kinda old and have no reason to run off into the woods shooting at turkeys....and i actually dont even have a bead on my shotgun I use for turkeys...or a thumb grip stock thingie....or TSS.
    application-declined.jpg
    I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.