Thread: Surface drive mud motors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Surface drive mud motors

any surface drive guru's on here? I'm looking at a 24hp (honda) Mud buddy hyperdrive. Need s a new prop but other then that its good to go. has about 75 hours on it. I'm looking to put it on a 14-15' hull. prob wont be a mud hull cause i dont wanna spend that much. i know its not gonna be fast but Do you think this motor will push a boat that size at least high teens with 2 guys, gear and a dog? What do you guys think is a fair price for this thing and what kinda hull should i look for aside from dropping 5-6k on a mud motor hull.
    Thanks

stick with the high tide, you want one of them anyways. I did the mud thing and the outboard is the way to go, especially on the coast
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Default High tide

dont worry, i am stickin with the high tide. I'm just taking a page outta your book and building a fleet of boats. I had planned on getting a excel/surface drive and a flats boat. Now im looking for a simple MM setup, a high tide, and a flats boat. Plus my hybrid with a 15hp and my hybrid layout. got to love duck hunting
    Last edited by Griffin; 11-30-2011 at 10:04 PM.

I've owned alot of boats and if I was set on a small mud rig it would be between a copperhead or a longtail. I have the same approach Griffin. I own 9 boats. One for each application.
    Skybusters: Magic Does Not Apply to Shotgun Physics

Skybusting, or the art of trying to magically propel steel shot 100 yards into the air at a passing duck, is a sure-fire way to ruin your own chances, and everyone else’s chances, at actually killing a duck.

wet,
    its called the hybrid DE. I can email some pics if ya want. its what i use as my true layout in open water. for marsh layout hunts where there is 12" or so of grass i lay out in the hybrid with the motor.
    Phone,
    8hp is perfect for the standard hybrid NL

I ran some copperheads and was not impressed with the quality for the price. I am looking to add another boat to my fleet, a 12'-14' rig with a small surface drive. I don't like the copperhead so I might take a look at the small Mud Buddy surface drives and see how I like them.

A 24 HP surface drive on a 14' boat sounds like alot of weight

when you get to sc, i wanna see that hybrid. Got a little 8hp yamaha that would be perfect for it. Mud, you need to get on a 12 step program for your boat addiction.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

What kinda Hybrid Layout ya got?

mud,
    there is no such thing as the perfect duck boat. I like copperheads and ran a 6.5 on my hybrid for a few. fun rig. I can get this 24 for 3k and the 18 copperhead is about 750 more then that and you can't find um used. That would be my first choice tho. I may just turn a hybrid into a mud boat. to cold up here with to little day light. makes me com up with way to many random ideas that cost money

I had a 25hp longtail on a 14ft alumacraft for 3 years and it was great. ran 21 mph and was still light enough to drag if needed.
    Last edited by mudeagle; 12-01-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Skybusting, or the art of trying to magically propel steel shot 100 yards into the air at a passing duck, is a sure-fire way to ruin your own chances, and everyone else’s chances, at actually killing a duck.

How wide was the 14' boat? That sounds like a nice set up.

I had a buddy with a 18 HP on a 1436 and it took water in the back pretty easy, but thinking back his set up was kinda shitty, gas tank and battery in the back.

I used to run a 15 alumacraft with a 23 surface drive and loved it, wish I wouldnt of sold it.

wouldn't be a 1436. at a min it would be a 1448. I was a metal fabricator and can weld alum. so pods wouldn't be an issue if they were needed.
    As far as copperhead goes, I find their quality second to non. granted they dont have a ton of fancy features but they do one thing really well and that is haul ass for their size. I've had both a MB 14 hyperdrive and a copperhead 6.5 and the copperhead was over 5 mph faster then the MB and took a beating with the best of them.