Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Serious Question About CrossFit

I have hurt my shoulder pretty good doing double grace. I can still go, but it hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    Did you actually read this? How does "may suggest" support everything you've been claiming to this point?
    I don't have any agenda accept to get folks to stop and think before they invest everything in "conventional wisdom".
    no. I went to the first links out there from "cancer.org" and others.

So, I'm pretty sure you are against everything I will post about cancer and diet. How do we get past this? I'm sorry that I will use scientists and maybe some "conventional" wisdom. Does that mean ALL science and ALL conventional wisdom is out? And you are telling me that I am the one with the closed mind?

I dont think we need to take this discussion much further if that is the case.

Like arguing with woodie about fluoride when his mind was already made up. I wont waste my time here....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

C'mon Francis.....
    Yes, I have high standards for you. And that's a compliment. Now admit running 5k a day "may" be as likely to prevent acid indigestion as a helping of iceburg lettuce for the "average" person.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I'd be willing to bet these "plant based societies" also have a lot less sugar and refined grains in their diet and that the researcher chose to focus on the one variable, meat, that fit his/her agenda.

I took stats too and know how to tweak a study to fit my hypothesis.

ITS NOT ABOUT THE MEAT

y'all have preconceived notions on where I am going with this. Studying diet (especially to someone that calls themselves "paleo") has to include other cultures, both geographically and across time. It has been shown beyond the shadow of a diet that a lot of our problems (obesity, heart disease, cancer, etc) and not as high in cultures with diets that differ from ours. Granted, I can easily agree that comparing a vegan to the average US diet isnt fair at all.

Fitness is a DIFFERENT DISCUSSION. I think fat people have acid reflux so does running a 5k prevent acid reflux? Linguist much?

We can argue semantics all day.....but to say that the likelihood of cancer arising from eating fresh fruits and vegetables is asinine. What's left in our diet? I know we are grain haters....or its the meat. Its NOT the fruits and vegetables. This is CLEARLY SHOWN BY THE DATA.

I'll open my mind if you'll open yours.

I think the paleo diet is one of the best out there...and the combo with crossfit is where people get "healthy". BUT, I think we have to watch where our meat comes from if we want to make the meat the highlight of the meal.

You're grumpy for a man who only works 4 days a week.

Prolly too much starch.

i'm not grumpy but I get grumpy when stripa wont listen

and he called me francis, with an "i."

He went with an asexual name.

I personally thought a good ol bobby socks era "Mary" or "Jane" fit better.

But that's me.

LMAO

more later
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

2th,
    Wouldn't your logic of where the meat comes from also be aptly applied to fruits and veggies? I've long been of the opinion that my great grandmother lived quite the long life partly due to the fact that a fair portion of her diet was grown on her 22 acres. Cattle, eggs, chickens, garden, etc. Ate fresh in the Summer and Canned for the winter.

She'd fry everydang thing in Lard. and almost flipped the odometer, but got stuck just shy of 100 at 99.

I watched the Barbell Shrugged podcast last week, and found myself agreeing with the Farmer. Why would you eat something that even the bugs won't touch? He was referring to the produce in most stores that has been chemically treated or genetically modified to be resistant to insects.

I'm still of the mindset that I need to get back to work in the dirt I own. Time has been the reason I've gotten away from it, but I need to find or make it.

Slaya, I think you are correct as to why our GRANDparents generations lived so long because of eating farm fresh foods grown closer to home (remember the definition of perfect health is dying as slowly as possible). If it doesnt spoil, you shouldnt eat it.

more later? cant wait. I have more too.

Lets not forget genetics boys and girls. I know skinny folks that have all skinny children and fat folks that got all fat kids. Yes, you could say that is because they are eating "like" their parents are, but not always. I know several people that died around 100 years old that smoked and drank their whole life and guess what.....their parents, brothers and sisters did too. We certainly control a huge part of our health destiny but genetics is huge and not everyone is dealt the same cards. Cancer is somewhat hereditary also isn't it?
    Last edited by ecu1984; 10-20-2014 at 05:34 PM.

I'm not gonna have any time to play today, 2th, but I did some research while staying at the Holiday Inn Express last night. I can't find much research available about comparative studies on societies with exclusive plant based diets. The China Study is about all that comes up and there seems to be credible lines of thought about how that data was interpreted and what data was ignored in that study. For example, some parts of China with animal based diets were ignored but had low numbers of cancer rates. I have been listening very closely, you just haven't been saying anything except what you want us to "believe".

I'll boil my "belief" in better health down to one word. Variety. Vegan "diets" and Paleo "diets" both make me nervous because evidence suggests nutrient variety is the key to better health. Same goes for exercise, Variety. So, do I believe a diet of high nutrient variety from many natural sources and varied exercise routines is a healthier way to live than sitting on your ass and eating fruits and veggies, I think the probability points to yes. No study will prove this beyond the shadow of a doubt, mathematically speaking and all the other bs you threw out there. If you come across a study that suggests this ISN'T the case, then I'll review it with a very eager and open mind.

Rubberhead

Honest question. What about the paleo diet makes you think there isn't nutritional variety? Do y'all honestly think all we eat is bacon?

What's wrong with eating all bacon? Shit's done gone all crazy in here....woof.

So, do I believe a diet of high nutrient variety from many natural sources and varied exercise routines is a healthier way to live than sitting on your ass and eating fruits and veggies, I think the probability points to yes.
    I think this sentence is the key. I AGREE that a varied exercise routine is a integral part to health. Ok. Next part: I see NO research that says you have to get your nutrients from varied sources, although I agree that its the spice of life. You see what I did there? So, variety is OK with me. We are still on the same page. I dont, however, see how you can tell me that "varying your diet" will work unless you also stay "natural." Can you do that in today's world? I will hang up and listen. Thanks

Also, the China Study isnt about China....

I'm not sure some beans are bad for you. On the contrary...many are more complete proteins than lean meats. I have never followed the paleo diet so I'm not intimate with the details.

Rubberhead

OK. I'm trying to read Go Wild. Seems like a paleo-like opinion piece and he will have me sleeping in groups soon enough. He bashes grains, in general, and I have plenty of research on that one.

I'm sorry, stripa. I just dont see this as a "good start" for me. Too much hokey bullshit about tapping my inner DNA and getting in touch with some past civilization that my ancestors "thrived" in....all 30 years of their life.

Give me something to read about TODAYS DIET.