Thread: Teenage Girl Sucked Under Freight Train

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Teenage Girl Sucked Under Freight Train

Jenna Betti Sucked Under Freight Train While Retrieving Her Phone

Jenna Betti

A California girl was sucked under a freight train and killed while retrieving her cell phone from the tracks this weekend.

Jenna Betti, 14, was hanging out on the tracks with her boyfriend near Martinez on Sunday evening. The train crew of the eastbound Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway freighter said they saw the teens jump out of the way as the train came around a bend, according to a company spokeswoman. But a split-second decision would prove fatal for Betti.

"Both individuals got off of the track, and for some unknown reason, one of the individuals came back on the track," railway spokeswoman Lena Kent told the San Francisco Chronicle.

According to her mother, Jenna went back for her phone.

"She dropped her phone and went back to retrieve it," Dena Betti wrote in a Facebook post. "She didn't judge the approach, and the train creates a vacuum, we were told, and it sucks you in... we are beyond devastated."

Betti, an 8th grader at Martinez Junior High School, was a popular student and star soccer player. On Monday, classmates at the school wore pink -- her favorite color -- in her memory. District officials had grief counselors on hand to help students through the tragedy.

“It’s a hard issue to deal with students. We want them to know that it was a tragic accident and that her life will be remembered,” Rami Muth, Martinez Unified School District superintendent, told CBS San Francisco.

Friends and family are left struggling to cope with their loss.

"I can't really put myself in her shoes, but I think she wasn't really thinking, and didn't really think twice, and she just reacted and tried to get her phone as quick as she could," family friend Stephen Bielecki told the Chronicle.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

If that train "sucked" her under it that thing must have been jacking it!!! I've been almost close enough for my clothes to rub against trains that were running pretty dang fast. I could feel the breeze but I never felt any suction.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Our conductors are required to get on the ground and watch passing trains by. I can assure you when I did that a 60mph intermodal train will almost knock you off your feet when it passes but it sure ain't sucking you towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon13 View Post
    Our conductors are required to get on the ground and watch passing trains by. I can assure you when I did that a 60mph intermodal train will almost knock you off your feet when it passes but it sure ain't sucking you towards it.
    Agreed, I have watched many by, AMTRAK at 79 mph will put you to the ballast if you are not ready.

Don't blame the train, it is very, very tragic, but it was all about a stupid phone. People can't live without them now, and this young girl lost her live over it. Law suits will follow, because a kid was playing on the train tracks.

There is only one place on earth you can get hit by a train. Stay off the train tracks.

Tragic but not the train's fault.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

How long does it take before everyone realizes that nothing can win against a train. Everything looses...every time!
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    How long does it take before everyone realizes that nothing can win against a train. Everything looses...every time!
    I don't think anyone's arguing that point.

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    Wrong, common sense can defeat the train. Common sense is lacking in a lot of people.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

That notion of sucking doesn't make sense to me either. Any thing fast moving is going to be displacing anything in front of it. Maybe there is some sort of sucking or pull just as the end of the train passes.

Where are our resident physicists? They'll pile on like nobody's business when the topic is boiling water.

Side draft.

The myth busters did a episode on this exact thing that.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Spend time fishing in current and it will all come clear.

The only thing that sucks is that a young girl is dead. Since we all know the train did not suck her under it, we should search for the real reason as to how she got under it. The RR has their own investigators, so I am sure they will chime in quickly on this. Between that and that movie production in GA that almost got a dozen people killed (and did get one killed) it is amazing to me why people in this day still mess with trains and the tracks. Tragic. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Maybe some of the railroad employees here can chime in. But years ago the railroad company always gave the family money no matter who was at fault. My ex had an 18 yr old cousin here in Greenwood that started acting weird. He did dumb stuff like stabbed his older brother in the leg with a fork at the supper table for no reason. Stayed in his room and wouldn't come out etc. This was back in the early 70s, so not likely drug related around here.

Then one night out of the blue he drove out in the country, parked his car near the tracks and waited (several people saw him sitting in the car when they went past). The rest is what the conductor said, he said he saw him in the distance walk up to the tracks and then laid his head down on the rail. He was facing the train and the conductor said he would never forget the look in the boys eyes as he went out of sight under the train. Of course he put the brakes to the train but there was no stopping in time.

I have always thought that had to be almost impossible to do, face that loud behemoth as it came down on you. Obviously the boy had lost his mind completely.

Anyway, all this to say that the railroad gave the family a check for $10,000.00. It's just good PR I guess.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 03-06-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    Maybe some of the railroad employees here can chime in. But years ago the railroad company always gave the family money no matter who was at fault. My ex had an 18 yr old cousin here in Greenwood that started acting weird. He did dumb stuff like stabbed his older brother in the leg with a fork at the supper table for no reason. Stayed in his room and wouldn't come out etc. This was back in the early 70s, so not likely drug related around here.

Then one night out of the blue he drove out in the country, parked his car near the tracks and waited (several people saw him sitting in the car when they went past). The rest is what the conductor said, he said he saw him in the distance walk up to the tracks and then lay his head down on the rail. He was facing the train and the conductor said he would never forget the look in the boys eyes as he went out of sight under the train. Of course he put the brakes to the train but there was no stopping in time.

I have always thought that had to be almost impossible to do, face that loud behemoth as it came down on you. Obviously the boy had lost his mind completely.

Anyway, all this to say that the railroad gave the family a check for $10,000.00. It's just good PR I guess.
    My wife practiced RR Law for a while. She's got stories of what she saw and had to try and defend from people doing stupid shit on the tracks and around the equipment. The thing was not to deny any payment but to minimize the payment since 98% of the cases were nothing the RR was responsible for.

Hell, people got huge settlements from RR companies when their loved ones were shown going around or through crossing gates that were down with lights blazing.

The most gruesome one she ever told me about was a woman who went through the gates and got T-boned square in the drivers door. She wasn't decapitated, her face and skin and hair were still attached for the most part but her skull and the contents were like 100' away in the woods. Edit to add after asking the wife, every bone in the woman's body was broken and her jewelry was imbedded in the upholstery and door panels. Car was a Mazda Miata.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 03-06-2014 at 03:59 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I retired from one of the class 1 RR, she didn't get sucked in , just didn't judge the speed . I have hit everything you can imagine from G'Vegas to Linwood but thankfully never killed anyone, plenty of animals, TV's , washing machines, trees, and empty cars.

Yes her family will get money for her mistake, and the RR police are Feds., locals not welcome on the scene.

When you ride a widebody pig train going 59 mph with 100 cars it is bad if something is in the way. There are cameras and black box recorders that will show who is at fault.

I have seen EMS pull people out of the grab irons and plow with a rope behind a 4 wheeler.

How about someone sue the parents for letting their 14 year old daughter hangout around railroad tracks with her "boyfriend." I get that parents aren't going to know what their teenage children are doing at all times, but damn. This sure as hell isn't the RR's fault.