Thread: Hog lure, attractant, bait question

Default Hog lure, attractant, bait question

do commercial hog lures work for still hunting? you know the fruit punch or sweet corn smelling stuff you can get at the store....

what about some home made lure or bait? heard once that they will come to anything that smells nasty enough.

any response is much appreciated

thanks

Corn's all you need. Look at Catdaddy's body of work.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

Threw out one of those hog bombs last season on a stand that had them thick. Never saw another hog near that stand the rest of the season, only thing I can figure is that whatever sow gave up her pussy scent for that one was even rank by hog standards.

Corn or soured corn. Though if they are like ours then plan on night hunting because that's when the camera's are catching them.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 10-26-2011 at 01:47 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Best I have ever found is to dig a hole about 4-5 feet deep and 2' across then stack the following in this order:

Burnt motor oil in the bottom. (hogs love burnt oil as they roll in it, and it helps rid them of ticks, fleas, skeeters, and other biting insects.
    1/2 bushel of corn
    3 bottles of molasses
    and then as many used tampons as you can find on top. (strange, but trust me on this)
    Then cover it with dirt.

Let it sit for a week and they will have everything dug out to the motor oil and a huge wallow created. Your stand will have to be high to account for them getting behind any potential ledges they have dug out.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Best I have ever found is to dig a hole about 4-5 feet deep and 2' across then stack the following in this order:

Burnt motor oil in the bottom. (hogs love burnt oil as they roll in it, and it helps rid them of ticks, fleas, skeeters, and other biting insects.
    1/2 bushel of corn
    3 bottles of molasses
    and then as many used tampons as you can find on top. (strange, but trust me on this)
    Then cover it with dirt.

Let it sit for a week and they will have everything dug out to the motor oil and a huge wallow created. Your stand will have to be high to account for them getting behind any potential ledges they have dug out.
    this
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    So, do you buy your women too, or just your ducks?

"if you feed them, they will come"
    hog field of dreams coming december 2011

ancient chinese secret
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Some people say I dig them too shallow, but honestly, by the time they get to the motor oil, I have killed enough of them off of it, they probably wont come back due to the pressure.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

BB's all over it. He sent me some tips on where to get ingredients via PM and it worked to perfection.

You should see the hole these things have dug.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

BB's formula is the secret to success, but sometimes I'll take some of the culled yellow onions from our family farm and throw them in with the corn. There's nothing else we can do with them and the hogs love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    BB's all over it. He sent me some tips on where to get ingredients via PM and it worked to perfection.

You should see the hole these things have dug.

^this Here is a picture from 2 years ago when BB told me about this, they still use it.

thanks for the reply. so y'all are saying that the critters will return to the spot for years after you set it up the way Big Bro suggested? I have seen them out there passing through, but have yet to find a wallow.

If they aren't already living on the property (maybe they are, y'all tell me) i don't want to set up a spot that will attract them for years to come.

I prefer deer hunting, but I thought i'd give the piggies a go, but i don't wanna attract so many that it pushes the deer out.

thanks again all.

Here is the thing, if you hit them, and hit them hard, they move on. As much as they like motor oil, fermented tampons, and molassed up corn...they do not like pressure. Plus you get the satisfaction that you thinned the herd by at least half if you do it right...

Hogs dont like pressure. They are nasty critters, but they are rather intelligent.

Toof needs to dig a hole next to one of his stands.......so he can shoot at something.......
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue

1 5gal Bucket, Shelled Corn and a water hose. Fill bucket 3/4s with corn and then fill the rest with water. Let that sit in the sun for a day or so then put out for the pigs....that's always worked for me..
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

thanks again. hope to post some pics soon. be sure to tell your old lady to start that fermented tampon collection for me.

Corn and water add a package of yeast and some sugar. Sugar and yeast just speeds up the fermenting process. Dig a hole with post hole and fill with soured corn and cover the top up with a little soil.