Thread: Sunflower ?

What kind of sunflowers are the best to plant for doves? What are the name of the one's that are big around as a steering wheel? Thanks

Perdovich.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I agree with LLR. Doves go for seeds with the highest seed oil content and pero. have it. Do some research on them, be careful at what point you apply fertiliy, it can lower the seed oil content = throwing money away. Also I'd do multiple strips of the usual stuff to provide food all season long. good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Clearfield.

im in the same boat here.....used to have doves EVERYWHERE...now there is just too much corn around and they are spread out...need the perfect sunflower that I can spray to eliminate weeds...cultivating isnt an option. Whats out there? How much? Where to get it? and what do you spray? Thanks for any info you can provide

Plant 60 day flowers in early (EARLY) june (in strips) plow the rows when the plants are 8" high (if the deer haven't eaten them all).

Let them go to hell along with the weeds all summer long. Spray them with round-up two weeks before the season and you'll have the cleanest field possible, along with the added benefit of weed-seed.

Plant in 8 row strips, leave spaces, plant some rows of corn, milo, millet, sorghum, etc. Disc/spray/cut/burn as needed to keep the birds around.

If all else fails (Trad don't read any furhter)- find a big roll of old carpet from a house remodeling job and lay it out in the field- spread chicken scratch, chipped oyster hulls, and rock salt on it. Roll it up the night before the intended shoot, and make sure not to spill any out the sides on the ground.

Burn their asses the next day

Clearfield sunflowers tolerate BASF's Beyond herbicide - somewhat similar to "Roundup Ready" corn / soybeans and Roundup herbicide. I've read about them, but have not tried them.

Regular oilseed sunflowers with Treflan pre-plant, Poast Plus over the top and a Roundup burndown three weeks before the dove season opens can give you a relatively clean field - even without cultivation. To tell you the truth, though....if there's enough corn around your field...you won't keep birds concentrated on your place once the farmers start cutting.
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....