Thread: Garmin hand held

Default Garmin hand held

Any advise on which one to buy for hunting and fishing?

oregon or colorado
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Those two are touch-screen models. I've got the 60csx. It's an excellent GPS, and worth the money over the etrex series, of which I have had 2 different models. I saw in an email that Bass Pro in MB had them for $220 as part of a bundle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

I was looking at this one not sure if I wanted to go with the touch screen or not.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=63801

I have the Oregon 400 coast and think it is great.

I have the Colorado which appears to be no longer listed on Garmin's website. It is not touch screen and works wonders. I have no experience with either the Oregon or the Dakota. If you can find a Colorado I think you will be happy with your purchase.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Mornin Woodie View Post
    I was looking at this one not sure if I wanted to go with the touch screen or not.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=63801
    That looks like a souped-up version of mine. The ability to have satellite imagery on your GPS would be pretty cool. I don't know if it would be worth an extra $150-$200, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nobody ever became a hero in a comfortable setting. Sometimes you got to nut it up and do work.

I have the oregon and it is a good unit with most of the features you could want. The form factor is nice and the screen is big relative to the overall unit size. The touch menu is so easy you can throw away the user manual. The touch screen is not terribly bright in daylight though. It is also easy to scratch.

i have a 76CX and love it. And just in case you drop it in the water, it floats. You can get em' off ebay for around 130.00-150.00

X2 on the 76cs. I have the 76csx and love it. It may be discontinued, I'm not sure. It will do anything you need it to do except pick ducks and clean fish.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Just got the Oregon 450 and it is great. As previously said the screen isn't very bright in the sun but its not so bad that you cant use it, and the size of the screen makes up for it to me at least.

Buy it from Amazon and you will save some coin...they have really good prices on GPS units
    Last edited by Murray; 11-30-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwagz26 View Post
    Buy it from Amazon and you will save some coin...they have really good prices on GPS units
    Best price i've found so far was on Amazon.
    Last edited by Mornin Woodie; 11-30-2010 at 11:44 AM.

The Oregon runs on roughly the same operating screen as the Colorado. The oregon has is touch screen and can show 3D topo. The Colorado was quickly removed from the line once the Oregon came out.

The 60csx has been retired and Garmin has come out with the 62 which is more or less the same. If you can find a 60csx buy it. Great signal strenght and all the buttons being external makes it much easier to use.

Just got an E Trex HCX, which is the color with the better receiver. I looked at the touch screen models, but found a great deal on this model. Works exceptionally well in heavy cover. Very easy to use. Heard of a few bugs in the touch screens. Need for it to work when I am deep in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    X2 on the 76cs. I have the 76csx and love it. It may be discontinued, I'm not sure. It will do anything you need it to do except pick ducks and clean fish.

I have the 76csx also it is great, I left it in the back of my truck one night, it rained the whole time, it was floating when I got it out the next day.

Still works
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

Buy a map and forget them damn electronics
    When in Doubt Shoot Em Again