Thread: Flight SIM

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Flight SIM

A guy I know in Illinois was a commercial pilot. Due to health complications he had to retire. He loved flying the big birds so much that he built this flight SIM in his basement. The pilot's seat and instrumentation dials and knobs are all from actual Boeing 727-230s. That was the last plane he flew before he got grounded.

All the cockpit windows are in-sync monitors and he has the software from airports all over the world. So when he's coming into an airport it looks exactly like what the real thing would look like. What's cool is he can set up for bad weather conditions and he never knows exactly what he'll encounter. It may be a 50 mph crosswind on landing or take-off with zero visibility. The seat even vibrates and feels just like when he was actually flying, even the bump when his wheels touch down.

He built the whole thing himself right down to the software installs. When he first started it was pretty primitive. He sent me a picture before he was able to find a captain seat and all he had then was two monitors, a crate to sit on and a lot of plywood with only a few dials and instruments stuck on it.

He communicates with the tower and ATCs as he's flying through the headset. He takes this stuff seriously and he's sunk a ton of money into it. Doing it this way makes it an expensive hobby. He said when he gets fed up with Obama or he and his wife have a spat he saddles up and flies to Hong Kong or where ever as soon as he can get clearance from the tower to lift-off. Yeah the software is that detailed, he has to wait for clearance, he can't just jump in the seat and take off.

If I ever get up there I'm gonna fly this baby.

This is the cockpit of his Boeing 727 - 230 flying for Lufthansa (his parents were German immigrants).

Last edited by Mergie Master; 11-08-2010 at 11:00 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

dang.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

No doubt he's got some coin in that thing.

Each window/monitor has a computer and they're all synced with the flight SIM software. 5 of them.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 11-08-2010 at 11:35 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

thats pretty cool. i had a pic somewhere of a set up where the guy had like 15 crt monitors from the 90's.