Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gun safe?

we do all kind of stuff. If its metal we do it. i can go pretty much anytime. when ever is good for you is good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    295PRO, how's yours do on the fire issue? What temp will it withstand and how long? I assume its been fire tested.
    fire ratings are useless. unless you buy an insanely insulated safe, your guns are going to end up being rusty bats if you have a fire.

That sucks. At least the safe wouldn't catch on fire like my current cabinet would. Didn't think about that mill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

i have a different take on gun safes. I could give a shit if its fire proof to xxx amount of degrees, i dont care if it would be easy for an experienced safe cracker to open etc etc.

I have no guns that are irreplaceable. Stolen/fire, just use insurance money and buy new ones.

I just needed a place where i could store guns that a neighbor kid couldnt open and keep 20 guns from being piled up in corners of closets. I bought a cheap Stack-On. Its suppose to be a 27 gun, but my safe inside looks just like my closet corners used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by millero View Post
    fire ratings are useless. unless you buy an insanely insulated safe, your guns are going to end up being rusty bats if you have a fire.
    I would say that. We have sprayed a few safes with a substance that when heated up swells to five inches thick. the temp inside safe changed about ten degrees. the stuff cost about eight dollars a pound. the down fall is the finish of the safe is not do great. we elected not to use it and just give a cash sum and a new safe.

Alright, I have to rekindle this subject. I have now gotten settled in to my new house and need a safe. I have sold my gun cabinet, so I have some cash to work with.

My wife has been fighting me all the way to get one of these, but I'm getting one regardless. My guns can't sit on the top of the closet shelf forever.

So I finally find a Liberty at Lowe's for about $600 that has enough room, is pre-drilled to be anchored (which it will be at my house), and has the limited lifetime warranty.

So I read the warranty and it stated that the company would cover any damage from a fire, break-in, or attempted break-in, that is not covered by a homeowners policy... SHIT!! Now my wife says, "well if the homeowners policy is gonna cover it anyways, why am I paying extra money for a warranty?"

I beleive the product is warranted because its a better safe. The crappy ones don't come with warranties because they're crap.

So my question is, has anyone ever dealt with making a claim with a insurance company/ safe company for the aforementioned reasons? If so how'd it go?

A few of my guns are covered individually, but the ins company said under the homeowners policy I would have to meet the $1000 deductible for replacement/repair of the safe and any uncovered guns.
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-27-2010 at 03:40 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

I have an acquaintance that has experienced a house fire. The check written to him by a certain insurance company was almost 50K. The very expensive gun safes merely allowed the models and numbers of weapons to be easily identified. IIRC his new home has a concrete room.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Quote Originally Posted by justpracticin View Post
    IIRC his new home has a concrete room.
    Had I not bought my home 2/3 built I'da done the same thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Anybody looked at one of these. Just thinking about something I can stick in a closet and use until I eventually move into another house. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/s...k-safe-4061927
    " If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." -Mark Twain

Ended up buying a Liberty 24 gun from Lowes for $580 after a discount and a coupon. Lifetime Warranty. I'm pleased with it so far. There's a key that locks the dial in place. So you need to have the key and the combo to get in, theoretically.

I'm rigging it up with 12' of led lights from Lowes. Got the wires ran and tied in to the lighh switch for the room in the garage it will be in.

Ill take pics when its done. Also got four 1/2"x4" anchor bolts to secure it to the concrete.
    Last edited by willyworm; 10-11-2010 at 08:51 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]