Thread: hydra sports boats

Default hydra sports boats

Just wondering if anyone has one and what the pros and cons of them are. also evinrude saltwater outboards

the 'rudes are good if you want to haul ass, two stroke power, lightest weight of most all outboards, all with four stroke reliability and quietness.

But if it does break you are pretty much shit out of luck cause everybody is a yammi dealer for the most part. They are apparently more complicated and weird than a regular engine.

Go figure, thats just what ive heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Miller View Post
    Who fucking cares? Fuck.

I'm guessing you are asking about a new boat? Don't know much about new... most everyone I have known to own one was pleased for the most part. Can't speak to the new motors. I can speak to the 23' lightning hull and say I love it!. It's a beast because of the 8'11'' beam and motor out on bracket. You will be hard pressed to find more cockpit room in anything less than 26'. I have a Sunbird Neptune 23' that is same hull made on shop road in Cola before Johnson went bankrupt and sold the hull to hydrasport. My uncle has the 21ft bay hydra and loves it. Neither of us have the new motors. I have the old oceanrunner 200hpv6 and he has a johsnosn ficht 150 direct injection I think.

no not new 2000 model with evinrude 225's on it 24 foot

Quote Originally Posted by PP&WS View Post
    no not new 2000 model with evinrude 225's on it 24 foot

Hydrasports..........generally regarded as bulletproof and overall nice boats.

Evinrudes......you don't say a model, but I'd assume Ficht by the year you list. Not too good, especially that year model...mucho problemo. Do some research. If it's not a Ficht made by OMC and is made by bombardier you should be good to go.
    Last edited by Chessbay; 06-21-2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Clarity

Not sure whether you are looking to go offshore or not, but as far as the big motors go I would stay away from anything with carbs for the sake of fuel economy. I would look for something with a four-stroke. IMHO
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

me and the old man are looking at getting a boat to do some saltwater fishing with, tired of having to pay someone everytime we go. he found a heck of a deal on one so just wanting to get as much info as possible. propably use it most for mackerel fishing but he also wants to be able to go out if he wants to. so he definitely said he wants a twin motor setup

Had a 2000, 225 ficht and finally let loose @ 1,500/hrs. Got a 2009 -E-Tec with right at 600/hrs. Had #2 and # 4 injector go out but Hey, Mine runs everyday, bout 340 days a year. The boat has been through 4 motors and will be here when I am long gone. It is a STRATOS built by Earl Bentz back in the day when Earl had just left OMC. Hell of a vessel for 20' and a 8'6" beam. I like not having to change oil every 100/hrs. and burns a hell of a lot less fuel than the 4-stroke if you count not having to pay for the oil. I pay bout 40 bucks a gallon for the XD-100 and get bout 32/hrs. to a gallon. IMO!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

These guys are on it man. As I understand watch out for around 99-2001 Ficht. They were especially found on the 24 ft Vector you are talking about..... nice sturdy boat but those engines are a known problem and why you typically see low prices on a HS Vector with those engines.... if you can afford to repower very tough boat...... but if willing to put in a new repower just buy the McKee 24 Freedom and be done with it

Hydra-Sports makes a great boat. The motors that you are referring to are only OK if the have Bombadier heads on them. If they don't have the Bombadier sticker on them, go on to the next boat.

i appreciate all the info. so as far is the boat there isnt really anything bad to say about em? Guess when we go look at it i will find out exactly what kind of motors they are

Good riding boat, almost bullet proof.

Evinrude..... i seen 2 of them puke, one was 58 miles offshore on a half day trip becuase of the coming NE wind. I woulda blown up the other motor when we made it to the hill 9 HOURS later if they woulda let me.
    Last edited by buckpro; 06-22-2010 at 02:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

how do you tell if they are the ficht motors?

It will say on the cover and will not have carbs.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

yeah i just called the guy and asked him, he said they are 1999 model evinrude 225 ficht, with 480 hours and they just did a compression check and run the computer on everything and it all checks out. Just talked to a buddy of mine who has a single 225 ficht with 1200 hours and never had a problem. So i dont know

I've got a 2000 225 FICHT. Replaced the computer at 100 hours, did Bombardier's Ficht Fix and haven't had a hiccup. Stingy on fuel and reliable. Only reason I will get rid of it it to move up...
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Good boat, but you couldnt give me a 2000 OMC Evinrude. They were on VERY uneasy footing financially that year. If there was a shortcut to be taken, they took it. They went to market with unproven technology and it flopped. They flooded their dealers with their inventory and filied bankrupcy in '01.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Great boat but you had better look for either an etec, optimax or four stroke. What you don't spend on the boat you will spend in the extra fuel consumption and their is a signifigant difference.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

i appreciate the info