Thread: Hot day!

Default Hot day!

Had a shoot yesterday and despite the heat it was very productive! We hunted 2 fields (SF and milo) and one cutover that was full of panicum and pokeweed. Birds were steady from 1530 till 1730 and most hunters ended with 10+ birds.
    GBelly and Toffdork....good to see you two shitsticks as always!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Thanks for the shoot! The fields look great! Was the perfect field to break out my wive's grandfather's rem. 11-48 that he bought in the early 50's. First time shooting that gun and I got a little work to do... And yes, it was hot as hell! Wish I could of hung around a little longer.

Forgot about you on here...glad you could make it too!
    I am now begging the wife for one more hunt next week before the baby....high low 80's and west wind...been waiting all season for that wind!
    Enjoy the tailgatin' today!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

If she won't let you go to the farm we can stay local. X2 on the west wind!

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    Was the perfect field to break out my wive's grandfather's rem. 11-48 that he bought in the early 50's. First time shooting that gun and I got a little work to do...
    I shoot my 11-48 16 ga. like a champ. Picked it up a couple years back at a gun shop. Sweet gun, but the feel of the recoil takes some getting used to with that barrel coming back and all. But I love it!

Even bought some hevi-shot classic doubles so I could shoot it at ducks.

Good dove shoots R-O-C-K rock!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Glad to see some of you having good success with the birds this year. This has been my worst season by far.

x3 on the 11-48, got one in 28 guage.

My old man has an 11-48 that my great uncle cut down and used it as a Quail gun so haven't shot it much. With that recoil I wouldn't want to shoot it 20 times on a release bird shoot that's for sure.

Any idea how hard it would be to find a barrel for that gun and how much they would be?

I'd love to fine a IC or Mod barrel so my Dad could shoot it on Dove hunts.

Was a great time, bogue. My dog was back in action and did great despite the heat. After she picked up 4 real quick, I thought she was gonna gas out on me. I stopped at 10 or so at that point for her sake. She has turned into a good dog.

Good seeing you too fro.

I have an old 1148 also that I shot for years. Great gun.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Calibogue-
    Do your birds like the milo? I have planted and planted and for some reason they don't seem to like it. The ducks on the other hand...

They better like it cuase they get a lot of it during the off season!
    Seriously though, its good stuff and they do appear to have no problems eating milo!