Thread: Duck Key Lobsters

Default Duck Key Lobsters

Anyone who hasn't tried this yet need to do it. Ended up catching 3 of these big bugs.

Battle wounds

Mmmmm Mmmmm Good

Mmmmmmm....tasty.

We keep the legs off the big ones and eat those too.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Nice! What the hell happened to your arm?
    "As an American I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials." Newt Gingrich

dang im hungry.

My arm got scratched up by the coral on the rocks while I was chasing one around.

how far down are they?

good catch and great place... I snorkled it for a week for Invertebrate Zoology, lot's of good stuff right off the road like that.

I was finding them in anywhere from 4ft to 10ft of water. The second morning I saw an unidentified fish in about 12ft of water that was as big as me if not bigger. All i saw was a quick flash and felt the pulse of water hit me as he swam away. made some BIG rocks on the bottom shake as well. You talk about scary!

tarpon?

That would be my guess - especially with the "flash".

We wore out the lobsters like that back in the late 70s in Marathon. They were all in about 4-10 feet of water as well, on the gulf side up under bowl sponges.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Could have been a goliath grouper.

The correct term is jewfish.

Shit on that pc crap and anyone who it offends.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Rat... I lived in Key West for three years in the 70s. It was something, wasn't it? Lobsters in the coral .... Dolphin on the weedlines... Sails out in the blue... Snook in the channels... Tarpon in the harbor... I worked 2 1/2 days a week while there, but ate really well. Even found time to play some golf and hit some tennis balls.

Ever see one of those giant rays come up off the bottom and leave? Heart pounder.

I assume that you were there for fishing trips? Ever stop in the glades for the bass fishing? ....fast as you could cast, but not many large ones.
    Last edited by Tuffy; 08-02-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Good eatin' right there.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

My brother, father, and I went down and stayed at a little "fish camp" that was on the lagoon in Marathon. I want to say it was "Dave and Sandy's" or something like that. Each unit had a kitchenette, and we had what was basically a 16' foot wet-riding aluminum deep-V Sea Nymph kinda boat. Spent a lot of time snorkeling around an island just behind Marathon on the gulf side, catching lobsters and barracuda, and seeing small grouper. Did very little on the Atlantic side due to the boat's size and the weather while we were there. DID walk the flats for bonefish once or twice - nothing doing.

It was neat. I would love to get back down, but it's probably nothing like it was then... that place only charged us I think $400 for the week?

I learned a valuable lesson about not snorkeling in the chum slick.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I was there while in the Navy. I worked 10 hours on Monday, 10 on Tuesday, and 5 on Wednesday. My supervisor had enough boat to run the weedlines and visit the blue water on a calm day. Gas and Ballyhoo were about all that we could afford with the beer and snacks. Long time ago, though; the tennis racket was a T-2000 and the irons were Wilson Staff. It was a good time to be in the keys.

Barracuda?
    "The ideal form of government is democracy tempered with assassination." ---Voltaire