Thread: Saltwater Flyfishing Newbee

Default Saltwater Flyfishing Newbee

I'm headed to Edisto on the fifth and know how and where to catch trout and redfish. But now I am after them on the fly. I have a 9wt rod, heavy reel, floating line... I started tying some clousers and I have some shrimp patterns too. Any tips?

Glass minnow.

Get you some small crab flies also. Also, somebody makes a good mullet pattern. Bass Pro has them.

fish up around the yacht basin on the outgoing, every fish in that pond has to come out of that creek when the water drops. throw gold or wht/green clousers.
    you can flat kill em.

a 9wt is a huge overkill though, a 7 will fling anything you need to catch trout and spottails.
    floating line is the way to go since that creek is only about 12ft when its full.

ill be down there during that time as well, so if you see a jonboat with a poling plat stuck in the mud, how bout come help me pull it off.

good luck.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I use this a lot for reds

I agree with the crab pattern. Works well. We have also started targeting bonnethead sharks with a flyrod. Talk about a fight. You need to get creative with your leader for those.

You need a gold spoon fly for the tailers. Dupre's Spoon Fly is a great one but they're too damn expensive. For top water, I like the Umpqua "Rattle Mullet".