Thread: pier fishing??

Default pier fishing??

guys, headed to the beach to spend a week with the future in-laws, not gonna be taking my boat..so thinking of doing some king fishing off the pier...got the right gear...but no knowledge on rigging, bait, techniques, or anything else, so any info will be greatly appreciated. want to stay out the house as much as possible...thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

what pier you goin to?

cherry grove

i am a pier fishing SOB. know that...

so...dont put all your eggs in the nasty-tasting mackeral basket. sure, take a big enough rod to try for them, but also take some smaller stuff and actually catch something.

cut shrimp on a double rig. catch you some whiting that eat good.

try to get you some fresh menhaden in the cast net. you should see a shitpile of schools of them. cut some up and catch most any fish out there...use others whole for mackerel.

"gotcha" plugs are nice if the trout or blues are around...plus, it gives you something to actually CAST while you sit and stare at rod tips, waiting for them to bend.

when you need to take a break and take a dip in the ocean to cool off, try to dig you up some sand fleas. great bait for the sheepshead or drum if they are around. fiddlers work well, too.

oh...and another way to pass the time is to drag a mud minnow up and down the pier and around all the yankees fishing there.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

2th is spot on.

Was on the pier yesterday and their was a ton of bait fish running.
    "Pass it on in the name of Conservation"-Tracy Byrd

thanks doc, will keep that in mind about the kings, usally fish for croakers, and black drum off the private dock, but was walking the pier the other night and saw a guy fighting a king, looked like fun, just thought i would give it a try. had planned to take some smaller tackle anyway, just figured since i had the large tackle i would rig one up.
    thanks for the wisdom though.

If you have a boat, take it.

There is a lot of water there...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

why would you have a boat and not take it? What kind is it?

As for the shrimp,get as fresh as you can get. It makes the diffrence.

Your best bet is to go ask an ol timer that is fishing for kings the first day you get there.

BUT Fishing for kings off a pier usually requires two rods. Get a long surf-style spinning rod and tie a grabbing style anchor weight to it. They would probably sell them at the closest bait store to the pier. Cast your anchor off of the end, and let it sit a few minutes before setting it by jerking down on it. Tie a king rig that you can find anywhere to your other rod and attach a rubberband to the top part of the rig. Make a sliding release by tying 12 inches or so of mono to a clothes pin and attach and swivel and clip to the other end. Put a one ounce weight or so on the clothes pin rig to help it slide. Attach the clip to the the anchor line and the clothes pin to the rubber band and slide your bait into the water. Hook your bait in the lips and behind the dorsel. Use bluefish, menhaden, pinfish, etc. Steal your bait from small children. Figure out the good corner on the pier and get there at dark in the morning.

It is alot of hassle for what it is, and it has been a while since I have done it but that is about how I remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by morningwood87 View Post
    why would you have a boat and not take it? What kind is it?

its just a 14' jon boat we use to fish the inlets, but no motor at the moment.

just got back from the beach, didnt go to cherry grove pier, was at garden city, but not a whole lot going on there, small whiteing, and sand sharks mostly, fished the jetties as well, with not much more luck. some small croakers, and sheepheads. but had a good time.