Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pistols

Quote Originally Posted by millero View Post
    you also may be interested in one of these:

now thats what i need for the turkeys!

I think the only thing this is missing is a laser sight.

And I'd like to see the guy that carries that AR. It probably weighs as much as an M-60

I like the way the kimbers shoot and they don't look too bad either.
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols...ical_ultra_II/

Kimber stainless Pro Carry is my choice. Relable, accurate, simple.

funny how many different pistols are "what the navy seals carry"

Ain't it.

I talked with a friend, that knows a guy who has a nieghbor who is friends with the mother- in- law of a guy who is a Seal.

He told me that the Seals carry, Hi-Points
    [COLOR=darkgreen][B]"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke [/B][/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR=#006400][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=#006400]"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" George Orwell[/COLOR][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDucks View Post
    I talked with a friend, that knows a guy who has a nieghbor who is friends with the mother- in- law of a guy who is a Seal.

He told me that the Seals carry, Hi-Points
    great guns.

Default Okay...

Another question... what makes a good tactical pistol "good"? There are different levels and requirements for "tactical" needs.

The SEALs may carry SIG P226 firearms, and that is their right. The SIG is, indeed, a fine firearm. Accurate and, in my experience, reliable. They had thier spec'd requirements, shot the SIG against the Beretta, and went with the SIG. Does the fact that a SEAL carries a SIG make it the Mack Daddy of tactical guns? Not in my opinion.

If THAT is your requirement, you are probably better off with a 1911 that has been worked, or something else.

And, yes, bias... carrying a gun on your hip for 20 years gets you accustomed to it. I admit the bias.

The Glock is ultra-reliable, accurate ENOUGH at any likely combat distances, light, resistant to corrosion, easy and intuitive to shoot, has a low axis of bore for rapid recovery, and has a good magazine capacity.

If I wanted more precision, I'd get my Browning Hi-Power and/or my Colt Government Model (Series 70) worked up into an accurate and reliable package, and practice practice practice. The BHP fits my hand and points better than about any gun I have shot (the 1911 and CZ75 being close behind). There are some negatives to anything - the BHP tends to show wear if used with +P ammo for any length of time (non-issue for me - I don't use +P 9mm). The 1911 has a limited magazine capacity compared to some newer guns (not an issue for me, either - just learn to reload quickly - but 99% of the time, in real civilian life, 7 rounds is PLENTY).

The biggest reason I don't jump back into the 1911 / BHP as my favored "tactical" handguns is, as I have mentioned in here before, a little thing called "muscle memory". I have been carrying and training on a Glock for so long that I really hesitate to switch. With the Glock, I don't have to train to wipe the safety off with my right thumb as I get onto the target. Not having to do that for all these years, I am concerned that, if I transitioned to a Colt/Browning, I would get myself killed wondering why my gun wasn't going "bang" ('cause I didn't wipe the safety down). This could be overcome by training, but I wonder how long it would take... I may bite that off post-retirement when I have more time. Purely a personal situation...

Another factor to consider is that many of these special forces units use the handgun as a secondary weapon - the exception is CQB (and, even then, a handgun can be a poor substitute for an MP-5 or M-4).
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 04-30-2009 at 08:46 AM.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

hk mk23
    suppressed.
    thatd be what i carry "if i was a navy seal"

Can't wear jeans on missions.

You'd be a wicked awesome bounty hunter though.