Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: calling vs. killing ?

Default calling vs. killing ?

For those of you with a couple rings of growth on your turkey tree, do you prefer to kill them yourself, or call them to the gun for somebody less experienced/rookie?

Personally I have more fun these days not even taking a gun and calling one in for a newbie than pulling the trigger myself. To me, pulling the trigger is the easy part.

Discuss.

I like to kill the sons-ah-bitches..

calling..rather see someone else kill the bird..i love to watch and hear them...i wont hesititae to ground check one.

I love calling them and I love watching them..............but I'm not a bird watcher.........I'm a killer...........

But all jokes aside there is something mystical about the springtime and chasing a longbeards gobbles......Nothing has grabbed me the way hunting these birds have....I will walk 10 miles through the desert with no water to kill one or to be humbled.......Killing is the end result and is great but the hunt and events leading up to it are what makes it all worth while............I absolutely love this time of the year...........
    Last edited by ccleroy; 03-05-2009 at 11:50 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I killed my first turkey last year (avatar) with my dad calling and my sister sitting to my side with gun in hand as well.

I was obviously jacked up over the whole event (3 toms gobblin' their heads off that went right within 10 yards of my dad), but I do believe my dad had a much bigger time seeing me kill my first turkey. He was pretty excited with my sister wanted to go back out later that afternoon in the pouring rain for her next chance.

I have been buying and collecting turkey gear this past year in hopes to call in a turkey for myself and/or my sister. That gets me about excited as anything I know of!
    75% SHR Justa' Swimmin' Fool "Otter"

Ducks, Doves, Deer, Toms and the little brown dog, Otter.

I enjoy em both about the same. I like being able to work the calls a little better without a gun in my hand though.

I'd rather call for someone that's never killed one than anything else. After that it's a toss up. Though it's nice to shoot and keep the rust out of the barrel on occasion.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Both...but the longer I've been doing it the better it gets to put somebody else on a thunderchicken. Especially someone new to the sport thats never had one gobble right on top of them!

Nothing better than calling one in for someone new to turkey hunting. Calling is the main thing I care about, but dang it, whoever I am with better kill it because I love to eat em'.
    Duck hunters are fools, all of us. -Mergie Master

Default ..

both, there something special about watching you buddy make ones head explode. but if he cant get a shot, its hammer time

A little bit of both. After I get a couple under my belt for the year, I like to do the calling for others.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    both, there something special about watching you buddy make ones head explode. but if he cant get a shot, its hammer time
    agreedd

Quote Originally Posted by M2Field View Post
    I like to kill the sons-ah-bitches..
    x2

The more turkeys I kill, the more my awesomeness grows, makes my weiner bigger too.

in all seriousness - I took a customer's 14 yr old son last year and called up a tom for him, I have never seen anyone get that excited, very cool to be a part of
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    RY-you are a killer. plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Rebel Yell has killed more shit than small pox!
    Stripa Swipa > Ron Jeremy

I put it this way 3chunter = dead fucking birds! Nothing quite like laying the smackdown on A big gobbler ! Very self fulfilling.
    Last edited by 3chunter; 03-05-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Only a damn lier of a turkey hunter would say he doesn't like laying the smackdown on a thunder chicken
    I LOVE calling and killing birds, but I really enjoy hunting with a partner more than solo.
    I call for new hunters each season trying to get another person hooked and really enjoy that.
    I plain and simple want to see that partiotic softball bobbing in the pines and swamps

Quote Originally Posted by MediaGuy View Post
    I plain and simple want to see that partiotic softball bobbing in the pines and swamps
    Exactly

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by otterdog83 View Post
    I killed my first turkey last year (avatar) with my dad calling and my sister sitting to my side with gun in hand as well.

I was obviously jacked up over the whole event (3 toms gobblin' their heads off that went right within 10 yards of my dad), but I do believe my dad had a much bigger time seeing me kill my first turkey. He was pretty excited with my sister wanted to go back out later that afternoon in the pouring rain for her next chance.

I have been buying and collecting turkey gear this past year in hopes to call in a turkey for myself and/or my sister. That gets me about excited as anything I know of!
    As someone who has been there done that I guarantee you your assessment of the situation is spot on
    Last edited by Tater; 03-05-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Is seeing one part of the question?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    x2

The more turkeys I kill, the more my awesomeness grows, makes my weiner bigger too.

in all seriousness - I took a customer's 14 yr old son last year and called up a tom for him, I have never seen anyone get that excited, very cool to be a part of

Been on many, many first time kills...

It's great don't get me wrong.... I do it every season... But I don't practice, scout, invest in turkey hunting for other people to reap the rewards.... I can deal with that to a certain extent, especially for first time hunters or a kid... but after that, put in your own damn work.. Find and kill your own damn birds....

I don't like it when people call me around this time of year.. "Hey where are turkeys?", "Hey when we going turkey hunting you got some birds?", "Where should I go in the forest?", "Where have you been hearing birds"..."Hey can I tag along with you" meaning can I shoot the bird....etc.. etc.. get's old...

I'm to the point I'd rather just kill them myself instead of putting all the effort into it for others, who are perfectly capable of doing the same, unless it's a first time hunter just starting out or a kid... that I can tolerate... I can't tolerate lazy hunters who want to feed off the folks who are willing to put in the work, and who are well just better turkey hunters...
    Last edited by M2Field; 03-05-2009 at 01:39 PM.

I like calling them up for first time hunters. But what is even more fun than that is long gunnin one in front of a newbie at about fourty yards and then pointing and laughing at 'em.

He's at 60 yards, gun is a shakin, 50 yards, you can see their breathing start to speed up and get shallow. "Let him come to 30 now." At 40 yards, BLAMMO!!

Kids are the best. Some you can even get to cry after you do it.

Funny stuff I tell ya.
    Last edited by Glenn; 03-05-2009 at 02:08 PM.