Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hog

Real men barbecue hogs with the hair still on them.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Never had hogs up this way until this year but I walked up on some about a month ago. Since then I am seeing quite a bit of sign where they have been. Always been a deer hunter, never hunted hogs, but would like to try. Wondered if any of you Experts have a quick "Hog Basics" just to get me started.
    Also, and maybe this is a separate thresd, but we are really overrun with coyotes here, seem to be more here than in the lowcountry according to my lowcountry counterparts. Our deer herd has really been hit hard, now Hogs are coming in as well. How do the hogs affect deer herds, I know they devour the acorns and the corn, but is anyone seeing the the major changes to deer hunting we are seeing with the coyotes and possibly the hogs.

You can either stillhunt them like deer or hunt them with dogs, it just depends on your preference. If you get enough of them in an area they will run the deer off and certainly not good for turkeys either.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Walk around till you find them!

They live in the nastiest, thickest briars and cutdowns on your property. If you see fresh sign of a group of hogs go to those thick spots and listen, then walk a few yards, listen, repeat... A group of hogs feeding make a lot of noise, ALOT of noise, you'll know when you hear them. You can stalk up on them if the terrain is right (not too thick) and remember to take your time and not get in a hurry. When they start moving and making noise, you move. Inch closer and closer, no more than a few steps at a time. Don't rush it. It took me 15 minutes maybe to cover 50yds before I sealed the deal on that sow Sunday.

We may cut the dogs loose this weekend to get the rest if they are still around.

Well its got a lot to do with what they eat. If they eat alot of corn a sow about 120 is pretty good.

JABIII, you are correct my man!!! I hear that same lame crap ALL the time that old boars taste like shit and that any pig over 75, 100, 125 pounds will be tough and not worth your time.

Well I have been living / stationed at Fort Stewart, GA for 7 years now (Savannah area) and this place if full of hogs. I have killed many of them and probably 7 or 8 that were at least 200 pounds or better – not to mention all of the hogs that I have eaten from friends of mine – and they all pretty much taste the same, GREAT!. No such thing as “gamey taste”, that’s how pork meat tastes and its up to the person cooking it to make it taste the way hey like – its that simple.

I use to think the same way because that is what someone told but once I ate it, it is just fine… Some people think that feral hogs are nasty because they are feral but they are the same hog you buy in the grocery store but feral hogs usually have at 100% organic diet as compared to proceed hog feed in a bag…NOW, which meat is better???
    Its nice to have my feet on American soil again

All hogs do not taste the same, it depends on what they are eating. Proper preparation is key as well. I had some smoked links from a pretty rank smelling boar that was fine eating. The fella that prepared that hog knew his business. A hog living off acorns or corn wont taste like a hog rooting in a salt marsh. I dont think there is any method to make a hog living off fiddler crabs and chordgrass roots taste good. Given a choice I'll shoot a smaller one because theyre easier to drag out by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    How many trail cam takes did it take for you and your boyfriend to strike that pose?
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
    Why does he got a tube of asstroglide in his shirt pocket is a better question
    Quote Originally Posted by b-rad54 View Post
    I meant a large boar vs. a sow not just wild pigs in general. I wasn't tryin to state it as fact since I didn't know. I don't have too much experience hunting pigs. That's why I asked you all. So is my understanding right that you say a large male eats fine? I was wondering bc I've heard some people say that large bucks aren't good to eat either which is complete bullshit in my experience. I can't taste the difference from a doe.

I don't paint the targets I just shoot them as I see them and I can't believe this didn't get pointed out sooner.
    Last edited by jumper82afar; 02-09-2009 at 04:46 PM.