Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: SCDNR turkey hunting survey

There’s exceptions to all rules.

For simplicity’s sake, DNR should define a gobbler as having a full fan and a jake as a bird with 2-6 longer feathers in the middle of the fan. Either way, 23% is gonna do what they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AnythingFeathers View Post
    The only way we , as the hunting public, can make a real difference is to take an objective and not subjective stance. And urge our DNR and legislators to do the same.

By the way, you missed the point. I know they limit all big game. But up until a few years ago they DID NOT limit bucks in Lowstate. That was a huge step in the right direction. It was also a difficult one.
    Buck tags suck.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Pic of bird from last year. Gobbled and strutted all the way to the call. Was very surprised to walk up and find a short beard and bubble spurs..... ya hunt em long enough and you'll get one that surprises ya

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    Got to be a fake, photo shopped. Because that is just not possible. Oh yeah, not excusable either, here’s your fine!

[QUOTE=TXFowler;3161198]There’s exceptions to all rules.

For simplicity’s sake, DNR should define a gobbler as having a full fan and a jake as a bird with 2-6 longer feathers in the middle of the fan. Either way, 23% is gonna do what they want.

Every turkey you ever killed came in with his tail up? What if he’s sideways and you can’t see the tail in profile. That would be a required action for that identification method.

While they’re at it they should suspend hunting license if you shoot a button head on a dog drive, running 90 miles an hour.
    Can’t shoot hen Canada Geese
    Or snows
    Or specks
    Make legal deer antlers to be no less than 16.25678432” inside spred, between the G2 on the left and G3 on the right. And a scrotum hanging down at least 5 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by AnythingFeathers View Post
    Got to be a fake, photo shopped. Because that is just not possible. Oh yeah, not excusable either, here’s your fine!
    I don’t know who is more dramatic, you, or my 5 year old daughter.

[QUOTE=AnythingFeathers;3161203]
    Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post
    There’s exceptions to all rules.

Every turkey you ever killed came in with his tail up? What if he’s sideways and you can’t see the tail in profile. That would be a required action for that identification method.

While they’re at it they should suspend hunting license if you shoot a button head on a dog drive, running 90 miles an hour.
    Can’t shoot hen Canada Geese
    Or snows
    Or specks
    Make legal deer antlers to be no less than 16.25678432” inside spred, between the G2 on the left and G3 on the right. And a scrotum hanging down at least 5 inches.
    You sound a lot like a person that shoots woodies during early teal season.

Tx, call it what you want. And insult your 5 yr old if you want. It is absurd to make a rule/law based on something that would not typically be readily visible. If the bird is not strutting you could not determine if feathers are longer or not.
    I don’t advocate the shooting of jakes. But I don’t begrudge a new hunter, no matter their age that shoots one and is the happiest person in the world, if only for a little while. And I don’t begrudge experienced hunters who make an honest mistake.
    And your last remark was just plain stupid.

I guess if you can't positively identify your target you just shoot anyway? It ain't that hard fellas, if you can't identify it is a longbeard then you may just have to watch him walk away. Y'all sure can complicate the ever living heck out of things!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    I guess if you can't positively identify your target you just shoot anyway? It ain't that hard fellas, if you can't identify it is a longbeard then you may just have to watch him walk away. Y'all sure can complicate the ever living heck out of things!!
    Thank you!

Not shooting a jake, be it accident or intentional shouldn't even be in the discussion.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

I've been hunting turkeys for close to 40 years and never have I "accidentally" shot a Jake.
    During my time in the turkey woods I have intentionally shot two which was decades ago.
    It's not hard to know your target, not at all.
    If you're unsure, you simply let them walk away.
    I have killed Tom's with button spurs, no spurs, and little or no beard but they were not Jakes and were identified as mature before I shot.
    Target Id really isn't that difficult unless you choose to make it such.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

too bad everybody can’t be as good at hunting as you.

congrats
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    too bad everybody can’t be as good at hunting as you.

congrats
    It's a choice Ray, not how good at hunting I may or may not be.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

If you're OK with walking up to a dead Jake then go ahead and shoot before you know.
    Personal choices, we all make them...

If you're OK with walking up to a dead Jake then go ahead and shoot before you know.
    Personal choices, we all make them...

2 jake’s in 40 years is the best ratio ive ever heard!

congrats again.
    Windows Down!

Maybe some insignificant legislator will make it easier for you by making Jake harvest illegal.
    Hopefully not but we'll see....

It's no different when using a buck restricted tag. If it doesn't have 4 points on one side and you aren't certain it has a 12" spread you simply don't shoot. Not try to makes exceptions or excuses to justify it.

I can buy the argument of allowing kids and new hunters to shoot Jakes. But the argument of making a "mistake" is ignorant. No different than 1 bird per day. if you can't be certain you aren't going to "accidentally" kill more than one bird in a group, well then did it ever cross your mind to NOT pull the trigger?? A lot of these efforts go in vain because some of you fellas completely miss the forest for the dadgum trees!!

Quote Originally Posted by duckchoppin View Post
    It's no different when using a buck restricted tag. If it doesn't have 4 points on one side and you aren't certain it has a 12" spread you simply don't shoot. Not try to makes exceptions or excuses to justify it.
    The buck rule might come under fire as sexual descrimination.
    We all know women can judge distance accurately, most have been told that 5-7" is a foot their whole lives!!!!!

Joking aside, and being aware that NO ONE on here has yet to advocate shooting jakes, except for youths.
    Determining a buck's antler size and determining a turkey's tail fan, which is what has been brought in to this discussion as the primary identification method, are not comparable in simplicity. A buck wears it antlers on its head for the world to see, all the time that they are present.
    A turkey walks around with its tail down, folded up, most of its life. Only to be brought out for display when he wants to be seen. Or in flight.

As Calibogue pointed out, in his eloquent, self grandizing way, turkeys can have short or missing beards, and occasionally no spurs (he's killed them all, not seen or heard about, but killed. WOW, all the unicorns, just need the albino). So those are not definitive answers either. If I understand correctly, Calibogue, you do not think their needs to be a law making it illegal, we as hunters should take it upon ourselves?

I am in agreement with that......... But button spurs on a Tom? If you say so. If they were 1/2-3/4 " then yes 2 yr old. Buttons??? Most I know would say JAKE!!!! Know matter the beard or tail. Some may even say (the dreaded) super jake, but jake no less. The spur is a layer of keratin over bone. No different than a horn(goats, cows) The level of keratin growth (with an x-ray) is the indicator of age and is considered to be the most accurate way to determine age, but only up to 3yrs. In year 2 the bone would be bigger than a button. In a unspurred bird the bone does not develop.

No one here is saying its OK to intenionally target jakes. I know some of you don't believe it, we don't kill a lot of jakes. It could be less, but it is not significant enough to justify a new law.

If you are buying the argument about youtha and new hunters from an ethical standpoint, then great, I agree. If your buying from a legal standpoint- i.e. put it into law- I would not agree. Mainly, it would be a subjective law, with no sientific basis. But, then there is the "new hunter" issue, how would "new hunter" be defined? Can't be age. And some people hunt years before killing a bird. Would you consider a guy who has hunted 5 years and not killed a new hunter? Do you put a number on it? One and done? Do you put a time frame on it? If so, what if they fill first tag ,first day with a long beard, and then fill tag N0.2 with a long beard, you good with No. 3 being a Jake? That could be a real issue depending on length of the time frame. Believing that the unintentional shooting of jakes is completely avoidable is in itself ignorant. Alot, if not most, hunters who have these slip ups, are absolutely certain, at the time, that it was not a jake and are remorseful. Not all are as perfect as you would have them be.

True hunters are alot like great dogs. They are not born great. They can be born with a certain level natural instinct, but there true greatness comes from training and development thru experience and time. You beat the shit out of him for every little mistake, and you will destroy his drive to be better. If someone you know (or don't know), has limited experience, screws up and shoots a jake, accident or not, don't beat him down (now, if he's self righteous and has alot of experience, go for the beat down) . Explain that its is looked down upon, and why. Attempt to guide him in being a better hunter. That, Woodrow, would be the forest. Self righteously admonishing a situation you weren't present for, then trying to dictate what someone should or shouldn't have done,would be the trees.
    Now, if he insists on continuing to shoot jakes intentionally, TAKE HIM OUT BACK AND SHOOT HIM!!!!!