Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposed power plant on the Edisto

Default Proposed power plant on the Edisto

By Emily Johnson
    Published: Feb. 21, 2024 at 3:32 PM EST|Updated: 14 minutes ago
    WALTERBORO, S.C. (WCSC) - State regulators recently signed off on Santee Cooper’s long-term plan, including the approval of a new gas-fired power plant that would sit on the Edisto River.

The rumored plant location would be at the retired coal-fired plant Canadys Station between Walterboro and St. George.

The proposed power plant would be jointly financed and owned by both Dominion Energy and Santee Cooper.

It would also require a new natural gas pipeline, which is raising some concerns about how it could impact the nearby river and homeowners.

Southern Environmental Law Center Senior Attorney Frank Holleman says the plant would have a tremendous impact on communities, waterways and clean water on the ground.

“What really is at stake here is the property, the claim water and the power bills of the people of South Carolina. It’s really our air, our clean water and our land are all at risk,” Holleman says.

South Carolina Public Service Commission approved the project on Feb. 15 as part of Santee Cooper’s integrated resource plan.

The approval of the plant ties into the recently introduced House Bill 5118, also introduced on Feb. 15, which is an economic development and utility monitor modernization bill.

Dozens of state representatives are behind the bill, including Rep. Marvin Pendarvis (D-Charleston).

“It’s a bill that’s going to get South Carolina to a place where we’re going to be able to fulfill the energy needs of our state, especially with all the manufacturers that are coming here,” Pendarvis says.

The Southern Environmental Law Center is one organization opposing the plant and bill.

“One big impact is this large industrial pipeline will come barreling through the Edisto watershed. That will have impacts on the streams, wetlands, swamps, the waterways that flow into the Edisto and secure its health,” Holleman says. “We will not have the normal protections in place to minimize those impacts.”

Holleman says many of the nearby residents do not even know about the need for a pipeline and the impact it could have on them.

“What’s going to happen when these pipelines come through in this big plan, which is going to be five times the size of the prior one. When that gets put right there beside the Edisto River?” Holleman says.

They say the bill would rush the environmental review process and make it easier for utilities to influence the Public Service Commission.

“Normally when you have impact on wetlands, there’s a thorough review by the state and by the environmental agencies to be sure the water impacts are minimized, and that they are avoided, when at all possible,” Holleman says. “Those kinds of protections are weakened.”

Addressing environmental concerns, Pendarvis says he is continuing to have conversations and listen to environmental groups.

“What I will tell you is, it’s certainly a work in progress,” Pendarvis says. “A lot of those concerns have been heard, and those are things that I am taking with me as we go throughout the committee process and certainly debate this bill on the floor to make sure that it is as good a bill as possible.”

Pendarvis adds he signed on to the bill because it is important to look at the long-term impact of the state of South Carolina from an economic development perspective.

“In order for us to fully realize the potential where we can be, it’s going to be important for us to be able to attract the kind of industry, and to support the kind of industry that wants to come here,” Pendarvis says.

“In order for us to do that, we have to make sure that we’re doing everything that we can from an energy standpoint, to provide them with enough energy to actually operate here in the state,” he says.

It’s important to note that the proposed power plant would need permits and approvals before being finalized.

A spokesperson for Santee Cooper provided the following statement:

Santee Cooper submitted an IRP for review that includes a balanced portfolio shown by our analysis to be the least-cost, least-risk option for meeting customer energy needs. Its combination of proven natural gas technology (1,020 MW) and solar power (2,100 MW) will provide strong reliability and flexibility, allow integration of more solar power, and allow us to reduce emissions by over 50%, all while meeting continued customer growth and supporting economic development across South Carolina. And as an additional benefit to customers, we are planning to jointly build a natural gas unit with Dominion Energy SC, which will provide economies of scale that we would not get if we each built units separately.

https://www.live5news.com/2024/02/21...-conversation/

Didn't Dominion (SCE&G) and Santee try to do a nuclear plant ?

Remind me how that came out.........

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike View Post
    Didn't Dominion (SCE&G) and Santee try to do a nuclear plant ?

Remind me how that came out.........
    My initial thought after reading the first sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Gas line right of ways make great shooting lanes

Seriously sounds like the one on Lake Russell , honestly never known it to be an issue but that is the middle of no where basically

This will go over like a backed up septic tank after you done flushed the toilet with 3 days of turds.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

It'll never happen.

It will absolutely happen

It’s gonna happen.

Everyone will posture and play the game, but at the end of the day, growth is exceeding the ability to supply electricity. No one….and I mean no one, is willing to go into rolling blackouts to fund the growth. Coal is not an option….nuclear is not an option…..gas is what is left. Dominion needs the reserves, Santee Cooper needs the reserves, and both have extremely old plants that are not fully reliable for long term solid options. Dominion knows that by tying Santee in with the deal, the permits and politics goes in their favor. This will have to happen.

So you mean to tell me we have built more than our infrastructure was designed to handle? No way not in Nikki’s beast of the southeast….
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    So you mean to tell me we have built more than our infrastructure was designed to handle? No way not in Nikki’s beast of the southeast….
    Well played

Yay. More economic development.

Quote Originally Posted by redhead25 View Post
    No one….and I mean no one, is willing to go into rolling blackouts to fund the growth.
    A recent facebook post from my Tracker in Africa...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

The old power plant site a Canadys is a great place for it.

Why not use the nuclear hole in Fairfield County?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Gas line right of ways make great shooting lanes

Seriously sounds like the one on Lake Russell , honestly never known it to be an issue but that is the middle of no where basically
    I’ve traveled a lot to the middle of no where over the years.

In stead of a gas line run a rail road, multi uses. Same wild life advantage.

So many benefits from coal. Least of which we are a sitting gas station of it.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

As long as there's enough power for the new "wave and water park" in Berkeley County........ROTFLMAO

they had this planned before the coal fired plant was ever closed

its coming
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    In stead of a gas line run a rail road, multi uses. Same wild life advantage.

So many benefits from coal. Least of which we are a sitting gas station of it.
    don't you care about global warming and your carbon footprint?
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston