Thread: Pick my next rifle, again

Default Pick my next rifle, again

I'm looking to buy another rifle. Itll be exclusively used for nighttime hunting ( summer time deer, coyotes and hogs). Im going to put a Iray rico g35 on top, and it will be shot off a tripod the majority of the time so weight isn't a issue. Im torn between ar15 or ar10 platform. Only looking at 556 or 308, I dont want to have to stock another caliber. Accuracy is pretty important, as we regularly shoot out to 400 -500. Id like to stay around 1k. What says the brain trust? Who else is doing this and what are you using ?

I have a 20" AR10 with an IRay night vision scope and that's one heavy mofo. I have my IRay thermal on an AR15 with an 18" barrel. It's not nearly as bad. Both of my IRay's are the bolt models so I can switch them back and forth between ARs and bolt guns easily. The Rico is pretty much a AR platform set up and doesn't weight as much as the bolts so you'll save a little there.

With that said, if I was shooting hogs and deer it would be with a .308 and not a .556. I bought a couple hundred rounds of 150 grain soft point .308 from Palmetto last night for $16 a box and another 100 rounds of Core-lokt a couple nights ago for $22 or $23 a box just because it was the cheapest soft point I could find right then. Good .223 is going to run you about the same price for the most part and shooting deer and hogs you're going to get it done with less ammo in .308.

My .308 is a Palmetto model and my .556 is a Ruger MPR. I'm not a big AR platform fan. I bought a bolt action .308 that's threaded and I'm primarily going to run that at night with a can just because of the sound difference. I'm looking for a good .223 bolt gun that's threaded to run my thermal on now. I won't be much help on picking a gun since I don't really like the AR platform. I can't tell you anything about mine other than who made it and the barrel length... the AR10 does have a stainless barrel. It is pretty dang accurate but so is the .556 model. I bought the AR10 on a black Friday sale Palmetto had last year. Neither of them have had any issues.

There are some non-milspec AR style rifles that claim to weigh closer to an AR15 but can handle 308. I think even Ruger has one now.

There are lots of situations for me where weight isn't really an issue but the AR10 still gets neglected just because I prefer a lighter gun. And mine has a carbon handguard and carbon 16" barrel.

An AR 15 with 77 TMKs or 75 gold dots will kill any hog or deer walking this earth as long as you do your part. I built a 20” AR to shoot matches with that has an ARCA rail milled into the hand guard. It clamps into a Really Right Stuff tripod with an Anvil 30 head. It ain’t cheap but it’s stable as shooting off a bench, and those tripods handle 20 plus point PRS match rifles with ease. The Bog Pods, Lefotos and other Amazon Chinese shit doesn’t even come close.

https://www.sgtofarms.com/product-pa...-arca-handguar

https://rrssoar.com/tfct/

Ignore the non milspec ar10 nonsense. You don't want an armalite pattern ar10. The fact that it won the military bid is meaningless. They don't want it either. Heavy for no reason.

Pof makes a rogue.
    Ruger makes a sfar.
    Dpms made a g2.

Any will work. Take your pick.

I have an FNAR with a day scope and clip on thermal that's the tits. Killed a ton of hogs at night with it. wanna buy it?

Much rather have a .308 when the pigs get to scattering after that first shot.

I like my Savage MSR-10. I think it comes in around 8 lbs without scope. It's accurate enough for me and my skills. Comes in .308 or 6.5CR.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    Much rather have a .308 when the pigs get to scattering after that first shot.
    Thats why I'm looking at a 308. We just got pigs last year so I've only killed a few with the .223

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    I have an FNAR with a day scope and clip on thermal that's the tits. Killed a ton of hogs at night with it. wanna buy it?
    I'm pretty much set on the Iray, but shoot me a pm about the rifle. I've been looking hard at the Fn15.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    . I'm looking for a good .223 bolt gun that's threaded to run my thermal on now. .
    I shot most of my deer this summer with a 700 SPS tactical in 223 with 75 grain Hornady tap bthp. It is consistently a .75 moa gun when i replaced the stock with a cheap Magpul hunter. The 16 in barrel works well with a suppressor. My farthest was 518 yards off a tripod.
    Last edited by Five Oh; 10-25-2023 at 12:40 PM.

Did you see the new Pulsar that came out today? HD and priced at $8000. 1.75-14 I think is the zoom. Image looks good but I just don't see it. Maybe if I hog hunted and never coyote hunted but that base mag is low for coyotes.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    An AR 15 with 77 TMKs or 75 gold dots will kill any hog or deer walking this earth as long as you do your part. I built a 20” AR to shoot matches with that has an ARCA rail milled into the hand guard. It clamps into a Really Right Stuff tripod with an Anvil 30 head. It ain’t cheap but it’s stable as shooting off a bench, and those tripods handle 20 plus point PRS match rifles with ease. The Bog Pods, Lefotos and other Amazon Chinese shit doesn’t even come close.

https://www.sgtofarms.com/product-pa...-arca-handguar

https://rrssoar.com/tfct/
    A good tripod is a must like FLS said. I went with a Two Vets and for the money I'd put it up against the RRS all day. I did go with the RRS ball head though. https://twovetssportinggoods.com/rec...w-leg-stopper/