Thread: Clear Water Springs/ Lake Campground in Florida

Default Clear Water Springs/ Lake Campground in Florida

When I went down for a Turkey hunt in Florida, I visited a clear water spring and was surpised at the clearity of the water. Want to take the family down there for a week next year, and wanted to see if anyone had any good luck with a camp ground in the Ocala National Forrest area, or anywhere in Florida with that type of water.

Many Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

There are plenty of those type of rivers in Florida. https://www.keepersofthesprings.org/florida-springs This site has links to the parks.

Wakulla is a good one. There is a lodge on-site.

Try Fanning or Manatee Springs

North of where you are talking about, but we went to Crystal River the past two summers with two other families. Five kids 9-15. We had such a good time in '20 we went back in '21. Stayed at the Kings Bay Lodge, a no frills efficiency motel with 18 or so rooms, docks and in the back of a cove where manatees feed. A big covered outdoor common area with grills and tables where we cooked most of our meals. A neat spring fed/tidal swimming pool, cold as @%&!, and just on the other side of the wall the kids swam with the manatees in the river for "free".

The Three Sisters Spring is a short boat ride from the motel. We trailered down two 17-18' CC's and a small deck boat. Gin clear, cold water that you can snorkel in and see manatees, schools of giant mullet and some of the largest tarpon I have ever seen. A couple of days we ran out of the Crystal River, into the Gulf and headed south towards Homosassa to scallop dive. Had a blast doing that and great eating too. My son and I fished some in the gulf and the rivers but never really figured anything out.

A trip I would recommend and do again.

Quote Originally Posted by We Jeep Inn View Post
    North of where you are talking about, but we went to Crystal River the past two summers with two other families. Five kids 9-15. We had such a good time in '20 we went back in '21. Stayed at the Kings Bay Lodge, a no frills efficiency motel with 18 or so rooms, docks and in the back of a cove where manatees feed. A big covered outdoor common area with grills and tables where we cooked most of our meals. A neat spring fed/tidal swimming pool, cold as @%&!, and just on the other side of the wall the kids swam with the manatees in the river for "free".

The Three Sisters Spring is a short boat ride from the motel. We trailered down two 17-18' CC's and a small deck boat. Gin clear, cold water that you can snorkel in and see manatees, schools of giant mullet and some of the largest tarpon I have ever seen. A couple of days we ran out of the Crystal River, into the Gulf and headed south towards Homosassa to scallop dive. Had a blast doing that and great eating too. My son and I fished some in the gulf and the rivers but never really figured anything out.

A trip I would recommend and do again.
    Hell yea! Thats a good recomendation
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

I have people in crystal river. If you stay near there you need to head out to cedar key.

And don't get caught touching the manatees. Serious fines if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    And don't get caught touching the manatees. Serious fines if you do.
    Not even if it's consensual? Asking for a friend.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Crystal River and Three Sisters swimming is a good time. We did it this time of year, several years back with the kids and they still talk about it now. Manatees will be more plentiful in the winter months, but they will still likely see them now.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Not even if it's consensual? Asking for a friend.
    No means no

Manatees shit big ass turds and lots of them. I'm not swimming with them. But yes, Crystal River is a cool place. The Weeki Wachee spring and river is cool too. And not just the mermaid show.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Ichetucknee Springs near Fort White has crystals clear water and white sand. Some blue holes around that area too. Used to swim there when I was a kid before it was a State park. Never saw any fish it the spring but the rivers it fed were full of crappie and redbellies.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    Manatees shit big ass turds and lots of them. I'm not swimming with them. But yes, Crystal River is a cool place. The Weeki Wachee spring and river is cool too. And not just the mermaid show.
    Mamma used to take us tubing at weeki wachee when were kids. That water is cold.