Thread: Suburban Towing

Default Suburban Towing

I’m in the bigger boat market. Looking at 20’-22’ walk around boats. Biggest vehicle I currently own is a 2016 Suburban. If I get a boat this size it will have a trailer with brakes.

Am I going to be struggling to pull and stop with this setup? First thought says I’ll be fine, I pulled a 19’ cc all over the place with an F150 with no trailer brakes last time I had a larger boat.

Forgot to add, most tows will be through the mountains 20 miles to Watauga Lake. Expecting longer tows (5-15 hours) 2-3 times per year.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post

Am I going to be struggling to pull and stop with this setup?
    Not at all...longer wheelbase will handle it just fine as long as you are not in a hurry.

I was on the waterski team at App back in my college days and pulled our ski boats(Mastercraft and Nautique approx 3500#)all over those mountain roads with a K15 Jimmy with no concerns. Went to Wataugua, Hickory, Norman, Hartwell, ect... Any newer 5.3 will be leaps and bounds better than anything on the road back in the early 90's. Brakes will be significantly better as well as transmissions. No you wont be able to pull the grade on 321 or climb the ridge heading to the lake at 60 mph, but that is no reason to go buy a diesel.

I don't think I'd want to do that in the mountains all the time.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Considering my family would be with me. I’m would update my vehicle to a 2500 drive train with E rated tires to handle that size load. Considerably larger weight in a 22’ fiberglass boat vs a 19’.

Delete the thermostat in the transmission. I was pulling a 20ft CC through the mountains and my trans temp was getting over 210 a few times. Other than that it pulled fine. 18 Silverado with a tune and 34” tires.

I don't know of a 22 WA that would be over 5k pounds fully loaded....old 25 Pursuit WA was barely over 5k loaded for bear. This is not that much weight...

I pull a 9klb camper with this. I ain't saying i ain't white knuckled holding onto the steering wheel when a Honda Civic passes me. But I don't lack in power
    4667DB70-3732-47E7-8D7C-F1D9B5E6388C.jpg
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Pulled my 27’ boat to key west and back about a dozen times with our 2015. I wouldn’t sweat it at all

It is almost criminal that GMC/Chevy stopped making the 2500 Suburban and with a diesel option. I would have liked to have been seated around that table when that decision was made just so I would know who to open hand slap. That K2500 diesel suburban was THE preferred tow vehicle for the SKA circuit and beyond. Hard to believe. MG

GMT400_K2500_Diesel_Suburban.jpeg
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    It is almost criminal that GMC/Chevy stopped making the 2500 Suburban and with a diesel option. I would have liked to have been seated around that table when that decision was made just so I would know who to open hand slap. That K2500 diesel suburban was THE preferred tow vehicle for the SKA circuit and beyond. Hard to believe. MG
    No one else makes one either. If any automaker came out with one, they would make money hand over fist.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    No one else makes one either. If any automaker came out with one, they would make money hand over fist.
    If there was money to be made, one of the automakers would be making it. The market for those types of SUVs isn't big enough to make money. GMC/Chevy didn't stop making them because they were tired of making so much money.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    If there was money to be made, one of the automakers would be making it. The market for those types of SUVs isn't big enough to make money. GMC/Chevy didn't stop making them because they were tired of making so much money.
    I feel like the EPA probably made the decision for them

Absolutely!

No doubt. I'd get my wife one in a heartbeat

I feel like the EPA probably made the decision for them
    I'd agree that probably has a lot to do with it.

I pull my 235 Cobia with my wife’s 2019 2wd suburban. Pulled if much better than my tundra. I switched to a f250 and it actually drives better pulling the boat than without it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

I'll say this, when I get to the campground pulling our camper with my wife's Yukon I become a much more efficient beer drinker.