I have enough going on myself, but maybe someone else is interested. I am and I would help:

Sponsored by SCE&G and coordinated by Keep the Midlands Beautiful, Adopt-A-Waterway offers volunteer groups the opportunity to protect and clean up our region's treasured creeks, rivers, lakes, boat landings and islands.

How does the program work?
Volunteer groups select an island, boat landing or section of river or creek and conduct litter pickups three times a year for two years. Keep the Midlands Beautiful supplies trash bags and gloves and has a limited number of hip waders available for volunteer groups to borrow.

Keep the Midlands Beautiful will launch the program on Saturday, October 4, 2008. Volunteer groups are encouraged to conduct their first pickup on this date. The second pickup should take place during the Midlands Makeover between March 1 and May 1. Groups can conduct the third pickup on their preferred date.

How will my group be recognized?
All volunteer groups are recognized on KMB's website and at the annual volunteer celebration each spring. When possible, permanent signs acknowledging volunteer groups will be placed at or near their adopted section of waterway.

Who can participate?
Anyone who has an interest in cleaning up and protecting Midlands-area waterways is encouraged to take part in Adopt-A-Waterway. Children must be at least 12 years old. Volunteer groups may include schools, local businesses, civic organizations, churches or any other group that wants to improve the environment.

How do I get involved?
Click here to view the lists of available waterways. Groups may also propose a section of waterway. Before conducting the first pickup, groups must submit an agreement form and waivers, and the group leader must attend a safety training and orientation session.

Questions? e-mail or call (803) 733-1139.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~