Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Where are the ducks? Answers

Here is the law, your scenario is not applicable to hunting waterfowl over standing flooded crops no matter how it hits you in the feels.

(i) By the aid of baiting, or on or over any baited area, where a person knows or reasonably
    should know that the area is or has been baited. However, nothing in this paragraph prohibits:
    (1) the taking of any migratory game bird, including waterfowl, coots, and cranes, on or over the
    following lands or areas that are not otherwise baited areas --
    (i) Standing crops or flooded standing crops (including aquatics)
    ; standing, flooded, or
    manipulated natural vegetation; flooded harvested croplands; or lands or areas where seeds or
    grains have been scattered solely as the result of a normal agricultural planting, harvesting,
    post-harvest manipulation or normal soil stabilization practice

https://www.fws.gov/le/pdf/50_CFR_20.pdf

Corn, or any other ag crop that is PLANTED normally is simply allowed to be flooded and hunted over. No grey area. No question. No amount of it "ain't fair bo", is going to change the law.

I completely understand.

........But it’s still baiting.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Call it baiting, call it good plots, call it ag... If there is a foot or more snow from the middle of MO to the artic circle, it will not matter what is under it. The ducks will be gone
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

Isn’t it funny that I can plant 85 acres of corn and flood it up to the ears, where a duck can swim up and eat it freely.

But the minute I dump a single 50lb bag of corn in the middle of one of the rows, it’s considered baiting.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Isn’t it funny that I can plant 85 acres of corn and flood it up to the ears, where a duck can swim up and eat it freely.

But the minute I dump a single 50lb bag of corn in the middle of one of the rows, it’s considered baiting.
    More feels.

If you believe that there should be change in the law you are going to have to demonstrate harm to the resource. Your above assertion will be demolished by 1st year law students.

I’ve got enough to bicker about in terms of SAV and the Santee Cooper Lakes.

I’ll leave the corn pond fight to the Cajuns.

I hope that you win. If only you could go back in time and shoot every bass fisherman that tried to bring in a livewell or cooler of that shit from Florida and Guntersville...

It’s equally funny to me that I have to shoot steel at ducks in a corn pond on January 31st, but they seem to have no problem with me shooting lead at snipe in the very same impoundment less than 24 hours later, at a different bird.

I thought the reasoning behind no lead shot was to curb lead ingestion in feeding waterfowl?

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Planting, not harvesting, and flooding a row crop is baiting, no matter how many times somebody calls it habitat.
    Does this practice benefit any other animal species besides waterfowl? if not, then I agree (not habitat).

It benefits deer in the summer, and hogs that bum rush the electric fence every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    Does this practice benefit any other animal species besides waterfowl? if not, then I agree (not habitat).
    It benefits the animals just the same as pouring it on the ground too

heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.

Planting a corn field and flooding it is no different than flooding a field and dumping corn in it. Then end result of both is corn in the field. That is politics at its finest. It’s just a way to keep the man with less means from holding ducks. To be clear I am not against corn ponds I am against bull shit. Don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining. It’s a valuable commodity. I bet if we did some research on why and who changed the law back in 98 we would find out some money changed hands directly or indirectly.

I’m not really with the whole ban corn ponds theme, but if I were I think a study on the amount of aflatoxins present in flooded corn fields and the effect on ducks might be the path I would take.

Damn ghetto I hadn’t thought of that route. In this part of the world I bet that sorry ass corn grown in these duck ponds around here is chock full of aflatoxin.

Santee and Bog are spot on in this one. The order of which came first doesn’t make a difference in the end result, the only difference between the two is who spent more money.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    Planting a corn field and flooding it is no different than flooding a field and dumping corn in it. Then end result of both is corn in the field. That is politics at its finest. It’s just a way to keep the man with less means from holding ducks. To be clear I am not against corn ponds I am against bull shit. Don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining. It’s a valuable commodity. I bet if we did some research on why and who changed the law back in 98 we would find out some money changed hands directly or indirectly.
    Agreed. I would equate it to the tamies here. They are live decoys but enough powerful people bought into it that it is not going anywhere.

Speaking of tamies, Rinella spent a few minutes on the topic in his most recent podcast... brought up the Atlantic Mallard genetics being tainted and they had some figures and percentages but I don't recall what they were.

- not meant to derail the topic from shitty hunters sky busting ducks in corn ponds.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    Planting a corn field and flooding it is no different than flooding a field and dumping corn in it.
    If that corn that was dumped were spread evenly over many acres, you would be 100% correct.

If that corn is poured out of a bag under a tree, you would be 100% wrong.

We all know why it is illegal for the State to overfly public ground and spread grain. Politics. Money.

It should be allowed...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    If that corn that was dumped were spread evenly over many acres, you would be 100% correct.

If that corn is poured out of a bag under a tree, you would be 100% wrong.

We all know why it is illegal for the State to overfly public ground and spread grain. Politics. Money.

It should be allowed...
    So your soil is even across the field? No zeros and 150bu spots in the same field? It really doesn't matter, man put the food there for the sole intention of a duck eating it.

Why is different if it is spread across instead of in a pile?
    cut\'em

I have seen first hand what a high concentration of Snow and Blues creates on a food source. Late January. Cold. Many thousands of geese on one farm. Cholera. Dead and dying birds everywhere. It's good for band recovery. When you walk up on geese that are too sick to fly, it will make you sick to your stomach.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post

Why is different if it is spread across instead of in a pile?
    If you need that explained to you...